Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO sold for BIIIIIIG Bucks!

That price is crazy. I don't care what anyone says, no car is worth that much money.

If I had Richard Branson money, I'd buy cars like that, and then tick off the automotive snobs by driving it. Not abusing it, but driving it constantly. Racking up miles, taking it to autocross track days, basically doingh what it was intended to do. Man...that would annoy so many people. 

:P

23 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

That price is crazy. I don't care what anyone says, no car is worth that much money.

If I had Richard Branson money, I'd buy cars like that, and then tick off the automotive snobs by driving it. Not abusing it, but driving it constantly. Racking up miles, taking it to autocross track days, basically doingh what it was intended to do. Man...that would annoy so many people. 

:P

I agree!  They are meant to be driven enthusiastically, not entombed in some climate controlled garage.

Racing pedigree, recent high end restoration, one of 34 built and it's a Ferrari.  Only thing that could make it better is if the original colour was red.  Yup, I can see it going that high.  Imagine what  the GT-40 number P1046 would sell for if it came up for auction.  That would be 8 or pushing 9 digits easily.  People or institutions that collect at this level are just something we will never understand.  I heard from a reliable source(Lee Holman of Holman & Moody) that you could buy one of their GT-40s in 1970 for $3,000 each if you bought two.  Thats about what I paid for my 240Z in 72.

Cars like this are considered to be fine art investments like some of the goofy Picassos and the like.  I saw last week where a pair of Levis from the early 20th Century sold for over $100,000.  If you watch Antiques Road Show on PBS, you would just shake your head at the prices some stuff is valued at.

12 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

This is not only one of my favorite Ferraris, but also one of my favorite '60's road racers! At that price however, I'll have to be content with just the models! :o

Or, you could get a kit car version.

6 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

...but then you'd have a curvy 280Z.... ;-P That said, there's a place over here which does fantastic-looking "Dino"s on a Toyota MR2 MkII chassis and running gear...

best,

M.

I'll stick with my '93 turbo.  Just rebuilt the engine and replaced anything that was worn with OEM parts. New upholstery and replaced the t top seals.  I have essentially a brand new car. Oh and it is fast enough to get me into all the trouble I want. :D

IMG_20180227_083419421[1].jpg

On 6/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, Pete J. said:

I'll stick with my '93 turbo.  Just rebuilt the engine and replaced anything that was worn with OEM parts. New upholstery and replaced the t top seals.  I have essentially a brand new car. Oh and it is fast enough to get me into all the trouble I want. :D

IMG_20180227_083419421[1].jpg

That is a very nice car.  I've always loved cars from the mid '80s to the mid '90s, they made the best sports car in that period.

Cars made nowadays may be faster but they pretty much drive by themselves.  I really don't get cars that are undriveable without all those electronic gadgets.

I mean it’s definitely an all time beauty but 52 million would get me every car I ever wanted and pretty much anything else.

Ferrari F50, 993 GT2, Mk4 Supra, NSX NA1, Ferrari 360, Aston Martin DB11, Porsche 918, XJ220, 96 Viper GTS, 01 Diablo VT, and brand spankin new Tacoma with all the gear I want.

Literally all mine and a mansion in mountain of NC and all the hobby tools I’d ever need. Then I’d throw money at Tamiya to make all the kits I want. Still probably under 52 million for an old and dated car.

sorry to derail the thread with my pipe dream