Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt 1982 Aussie Ford Falcon XE Part 2

ShawnS

Hi,

Thanks to all who have followed, viewed and commented in the WIP thread and to those who did the same in the part 1 thread.

After 8 years I finally got my rear into gear and finished the first of the Ford Falcon S-Pack builds.  This is the version my grandparents owned from new ('82-'83) until the early 2000's, it was well maintained and cared for without any scratches or dents at anytime in its life. It was later stolen and found burnt out. A sad end for the trusty rig that as it was. The trailer is also a replica of my grand fathers trailer that also met a sad end.
For those that are seeing the whole thing for the first time it's  entirely scratchbuilt except for the tyres, trailer wheels and the photo etched wipers and door locks.
Mitch Keys at Electric Designs in NZ did the Stripes and Falcon badges. Thanks Mitch
xqsRBZ.jpg
D8LdAY.jpg
IMijML.jpg
nZp5Eq.jpg
8BHzPH.jpg
nEUjDM.jpg
91soyd.jpg
EvP18Z.jpg

To be continued..

• Like 2

KAaMeI.jpg
gOkgeI.jpg
Ky4y54.jpg
XxdrQ2.jpg

I found some grass matting on a hobbyshop website in the railway section and the model sits nicely in a display case with the grass base.
qBN0Zh.jpg
L4IaAd.jpg

The trailer needs the spare wheel tied to it and it also needs something as a load. I'm trying to think of something suitable that doesn't weigh too heavily on the trailer.

Thanks again,
Shawn Shirley

• Like 2

Incredible; I'm so glad to see it successfully finished after so long! Such an inspirational project...the decals and badge detailing really take it to another level. I'll have to go back to the build thread to read about the headlights and taillights--they're very convincing! I enjoy the grass display base, too...it just seems fitting that a project like this gets a nice carpet to hang out on :)

9 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I enjoy the grass display base, too...it just seems fitting that a project like this gets a nice carpet to hang out on :)

Thanks Chris, yeah that's what I think too I just couldn't leave it on a blank base nor could I commit to a diorama but I think the grass is just right.

Thanks guys,

Since my camera can't seem to take a decent picture under artificial light I took the model outside to try for better results. You can get a better idea of the colour and the weathering of the trailer.

kME9y0.jpg
Z2zWFy.jpg
SCcrGU.jpg
abeSk6.jpg
QFmKke.jpg
vcPSsO.jpg

Cheers

ShawnS

Very well done. Both the Falcon and the trailer. I have always be a fan of Falcons and once owned a 65 V-8 4-speed hardtop. Sad that the name no longer appears on a car anywhere in the world. It has even been replaced with Mustangs in the Australian Supercar Series.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

4 hours ago, Mr.Zombie said:

Very cool. I can't get over how clean it is. 

How did you made the lamb skins on the front seats? They look very convincing.

I made the lamb skin seat covers by using white flocking the same way as doing the carpets. One big issue that arose over time was the dis-colouration of the white glue underneath the flocking. I took the parts out of storage after a couple of years and I noticed that the glue under the flocking had turned a pinkish colour and that affected the overall colour of the seat cover so I had to mask them off and dust some white paint on them with the airbrush to regain the look that I wanted. So that's a lesson for next time to maybe use white paint or maybe even clear as a medium to stick the flocking on the seats.

Cheers

ShawnS

That turned out great! Really cool to see it being finished, I always enjoy these rare subjects. You nailed the body shapes and the overall look of that Falcon perfectly, which is probably the biggest challenge for a project like this. Fantastic work!

• 2 years later...

Hi Shawn,

it is a wonderfull  work and an amazing model.  I`m specialy happy to see a scratchbuilt work because I myself built about 50 scratchbuilt auto models but in scale 1:75 and only one in 1:24. And I never found a forum about such works.

Congratulation:  János

Build from scratch !!!?? That's what real modelling is. I'm already happy when a car build from the box also looks like a car...😜
This is great Shawn ! And not just another supercar, but an every-day family-car is a relief to see.
Is there a link to your 'making off' ? So much we can learn from you !