Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's stillborn 1/25th scale Porsche 911 project - Visual Proof revealed for the first time:

tim boyd

Those of  you who have read my many ramblings over the years have heard me talk about my recollections of seeing - and being highly surprised about - a 1/10th scale wood master of a Porsche 911 during one of my visits to the AMT headquarters when I was doing work for them as a private contractor.  

Well now, thanks to the efforts of Tim Rice who was a key member of the AMT Model Shop where the 1/10th scale masters of all AMT model kits were developed, here is visual proof that yes, it wasn't a just figment of my imagination.  

DSC 0492

Check out the whole story here....for more images of the 911 project including detail shots, along with several other AMT projects that never saw the shelves of your local hobby shelf, and until today, we never even knew were under development.  Fascinating stuff.  And thanks to Tim Rice, his booth assistants, and the DAAM show management for making arrangements to share this history with us....TIM .  

Edited by tim boyd

Fascinating indeed. Your historical insights and background knowledge are always much appreciated.

And speaking of tooling...I wasn't able to attend the injection-molding (and rapid-prototyping) event here in Atlanta last week re: getting some rough numbers on the '34 Ford 3W shell. A medical issue that came up while I was out of town last week took precedence. Oh well.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

15 minutes ago, Darin Bastedo said:

As a huge Porsche 911 fan I can say I wish they had released that. from the looks of it it would have compared very well to the Revell kit

Darin.....that was certainly my reaction when I first saw this circa 1975, and even more so today after looking at it up close.  TIM 

Looks like the information alluded to the fact that the wooden masters still exist. Knowing that and tying into the budding 3D printing technology that is available, my hope is that someone, somewhere could scan these and actually PRODUCE kits of these very interesting subjects!

I don't think I'm alone in that dream.

• 6 months later...

Guys, close your eyes for a moment.

And now imagine what the box art for that Porker would have looked like.

Do you also see the "Wild Drag Version" on the box sides, with lots of Iron Crosses and a turbo Corvair?

Edited by Junkman

3 hours ago, samdiego said:

I don't know, Tim. That could just be some excellent Photoshop.

Uh...except that I took the photos myself.  And hundreds (if not thousands) at the D>A>A>M show last April saw them in the flesh...err....wood too!  Cheers :) ....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

On 10/18/2019 at 7:13 AM, Junkman said:

Guys, close your eyes for a moment.

And now imagine what the box art for that Porker would have looked like.

Do you also see the "Wild Drag Version" on the box sides, with lots of Iron Crosses and a turbo Corvair?

Strange...AMT did do a Mercedes 300SL, and they didn't put drag slicks in it...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Wondering if anyone can help me with additional info. on a wood Chevy Step Up Truck "Master Piece". It has amazing detail and is about 20". Could be an AMT creation from the late 70's. Are they considered rare and collectible ??? Thanks for any help. Lenny Hummel Lloyd Harbor, N.Y. P.S. PHOTOS CAN BE PROVIDED.