Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reselling Your Hobby Lobby Clearance Kits On eBay

I don't know who this is, and I'm not tying to seller shame anyone, but I offer a helpful hint: If you are going to Hoover up all the clearance kits from Hobby Lobby in order to try to resell them for a profit, at least remove the clearance sticker!

porschehobbylobby.PNG

Got a guy on the local CL selling half a dozen HL clearance kits for $15 each. He states in his listing that "I bought these at HL for $29.99 each." That tells me one of three things.

1. He bought these on clearance for $7.49 each and hopes nobody knows or will call him out. (If this is the case, he was, at least, devious enough to remove the clearance stickers.)

2. He paid the full price of $29.99 minus the 40% and is actually losing money.

3. He paid the full price of $29.99, not knowing about the 40% coupon and is REALLY losing money.

My guess is it is #1. Oh well. Gotta love a guy with a side hustle.

Later- 

After the last big Ollie's clearance, I saw a flea market vendor doing that, only a little smarter. I guess those Ollie's stickers don't come off easily; he had marked thru the price with a black marker but left the big red stickers on.  He was asking about double the clearance price for car kits.  But he had some of everything; Lindberg ships, armor and aircraft, the Hawk Weird-Ohs, etc. Looked like he had filled up a cart or two with kits to flog at the flea market.

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Goes back to the days of Walmart checkerboard kits!   They all appeared on eBay and at shows!

One hobby shop here had a few.  The owner was trying to pass them off as "rare packaging variations" at about 50% MORE than his prices on the "regular" versions.  He wasn't around long.

Some eBay sellers were selling Round 2 Lindberg car kits with the photos showing the bottom of the box, which was illustrated also.  They're trying to give the impression that the items they are selling are packaged differently from those sold elsewhere.  Who knows why...

Then you have buyers trying to Buy OOP F/S (Factory Sealed) kits for less than $3 each and get pissed off when I agree to do so stating I will remove the Shrink Wrap . He insisted he is a builder .. lol .. It is about integrity IMHO .. Thanx 

I can see the plausibility in re-selling Ollie's kits. Unless you're East of the Mississippi (and really just the East Coast itself) you have no idea what an Ollie's even is...There are also plenty of people who won't set foot in a Hobby Lobby because of the Religion/Politics of the CEO.

People on eBay are providing a service therefore and had to go to the store, do the shopping, and incurred transportation, warehousing, and distribution costs. :lol:B)

I'll bite on this.....

Yeah, it blows that someone scooped up all the cheap kits and is relisting them where ever they can for a profit. I went to the HL in NF NY and got zip cause someone had got all the good stuff already. Oh well. When Ollie's had the NASCAR kits on for $10 I scored like 9 of them in total....for the stash of course.....

Now those that are upset I have to ask....

1...If you went to work and your boss handed you a pair of court side seats for game 6 of the NBA final this year and you knew you weren't able to go, he shrugs and says "take em anyways" wouldn't you try to sell them ( just to put that in perspective.....a court side pair of game 5 tickets sold in Toronto for $78,000) sure you would, score for you

2..if you went to the car dealer ship with $50,000 in your pocket to buy one car but when you get there, the car you want is on sale for $10,000, would you just buy one and leave the other 4 for the next person to come along, or would you buy all 5 and sell the other 4 for a huge mark up?

Of course this could work with anything

The reason it's maddening is that we love the hobby and are territorial about certain aspects of it, especially if it's someone else coming out on top. These guys reselling likely aren't builders or collectors, just businessmen. 

My opinion is just that, my own, I'm not looking to offend anyone, just stating what I think.

I had posted in another thread that I got into a conversation with an HL guy in the Exton store near my home.  I asked about why that store never had any clearance kits.  He told me there was a guy who stopped in nearly every day and would buy them all.  No doubt a reseller.  Funny thing, I don't know a single model guy near me!   

I have no doubt that some of kits I'm seeing listed for $45 CAD are 7 buck Ollies or Hobby Lobby sale kits. Lol. Oh well!

I'd be like a pig in slop if I found a place with kits for under 15 bucks,  let alone $7.99!