Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coca Cola Kits ?

They are usually common kits that have been done a bunch of times, so I think they can turn a profit on them even with the licensing fees. I agree that they mostly appeal to the collectors market. I doubt they are jacked up price wise at model shows and if they are, they wouldn't sell.

1 hour ago, larman said:

They are usually common kits that have been done a bunch of times, so I think they can turn a profit on them even with the licensing fees. I agree that they mostly appeal to the collectors market. I doubt they are jacked up price wise at model shows and if they are, they wouldn't sell.

The 57 Chevy is the latest tool from late 1990's, not the early tool from the 60's...so it's not that common as it hasn't been out that much.

12 minutes ago, 440 Dakota said:

How do we know that Round 2 is paying Coke a licensing fee ? maybe its the other way around and Coke is paying an advertising fee to keep the name in front of prospective Coke buyers/collectors, why not they spend millions on advertising

I have suspected that is the case for some time now....they are issuing almost everything with the Coca Cola brand lately, almost so much that it almost get's ridiculous.
Coca Cola is one of the companies who spends the highest percentage of revenue for advertising so I don't find it unlikely.
I don't care if the kits have Coca Cola decals and stuff, it's a free World so you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Few sell to model builders, most go to Coca-Cola memorabilia collectors who leave them sealed in anticipation of a windfall when they go to resell them.

Bingo!  I'm not above allowing Coke collectors to keep Round 2 in business so they can invest more in kits I wish to buy!   Tom Lowe is a master of marketing to niche markets. See how they have positioned themselves into the TV and Movie memoribilia markets as well.  Hint-  Three markets much bigger than ours!

amtamt1024-12.jpg

BTW, this kit as the most gorgeous Coke decal sheet I've ever seen!   Worth the price of the kit just for the decals!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Bingo!  I'm not above allowing Coke collectors to keep Round 2 in business so they can invest more in kits I wish to buy!   Tom Lowe is a master of marketing to niche markets. See how they have positioned themselves into the TV and Movie memoribilia markets as well.  Hint-  Three markets much bigger than ours!

amtamt1024-12.jpg

BTW, this kit as the most gorgeous Coke decal sheet I've ever seen!   Worth the price of the kit just for the decals!

Just opened this kit and Tom is right. Girlfriend collects Coke stuff and just had to have the Coke kits. Never thought they would issue so many of them. Still have the 23, 57, 55 Cameo, and the 32 SD to build. Do like the ones with Coke machines and dolly. Will probably buy the 53 Ford PU but not sure about any more.

5 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I seriously doubt coke is paying round 2 when round 2 is happy to pay the fee to sell their kits. Round 2 is moving lots of product. Hey if it helps keep round 2 in business it is fine with me.

In the real world that we live in, this is the correct answer right here, Round 2 is paying Coke

6 hours ago, Force said:

The 57 Chevy is the latest tool from late 1990's, not the early tool from the 60's...so it's not that common as it hasn't been out that much.

The retooled '57 is more common than you think! Plus the limited in the tin copy all the same kit. The proshop has the PE grill ect.

57k.jpg

AMT988-57-Chevy-red-hr.jpg

s-l500 (4).jpg

1 57 street.jpg

-pristine.jpg

52 minutes ago, GaryR said:

So WHY does anyone care?
The only difference is the decals, if you don't have a stash you ain't a modeler!

I don't get this!

It's like this....

Round 2 puts out Coke kits they complain.

People complain that kids aren't getting into the hobby, so Revell brought out some simple kits for kids, and they complain!

Revell chases the youth market with the Foose kits, and they complain.

Revell rises from the ashes and opens up a brand new operation to serve the US market, and they complain that new kits aren't out that same week.

Any manufacturer comes out with a long requested new kit, and they complain!

See a pattern here?

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, ranma said:

The retooled '57 is more common than you think! Plus the limited in the tin copy all the same kit. The proshop has the PE grill ect.

57k.jpg

AMT988-57-Chevy-red-hr.jpg

s-l500 (4).jpg

1 57 street.jpg

-pristine.jpg

I have the original issues from 1997-98 and they were the blue and white kit# 8315, the blue street machine kit# 8319 and the yellow and white pro shop kit# 8455 and they came out pretty much at the same time within a year or so, all before RC2 bought AMT/ERTL.
Except for the original issues of the new tool kits they haven't been out that often, I count to four for the regular kit and once for the kit with photo etch (the tin 100 year anniversary version), the street machine has maybe been re-issued once as I have seen it with different size boxes with the same boxart and kit number, while the original tooling from the early 60's has been out numerous times even after the new tool kits were released.
If I remember right there were some issue with the tooling for these kits when everything was moved from Mexico to China.

As for the Coca Cola stuff I don't mind at all...you are free to choose if you want to use it or not, I don't collect boxart nor collecting Coca Cola stuff so it doesn't matter to me...if it's a good kit I'll buy it.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

It's like this....

People complain that kids aren't getting into the hobby, so Revell brought out some simple kits for kids, and they complain!

Revell rises from the ashes and opens up a brand new operation to serve the US market, and they complain that new kits aren't out that same week.

See a pattern here?

I'm not complaining. Just ask a question.:huh:

Coca Cola Kits?  Does this really enhance the sales of these kits ?

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It's like this....

See a pattern here?

Whatever you do, it will be wrong, so don't try.

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Revell sure hit that bull's-eye with the Porsche Junior Diesel farm tractor, IMO.  It's simple enough that a kid can snap it together in a few minutes and be rolling it around on the floor.  But detailed enough to interest the rest of us, with optional parts and decals, plus kid-friendly stickers. And it's reasonably priced.

16 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That's a good question.  I just read that a good chunk of Aston-Martin's revenue comes from licensing.

Quite a change from the days of the James Bond movies!  EON Productions wanted to use an XKE in "Goldfinger," but Jaguar turned them down flat. Then they asked Aston-Martin if they could borrow a new DB-5.  Aston replied that they were not a car-rental agency. If the movie producers wanted a DB-5, they could buy one like everybody else. 

After much negotiation, Aston grudgingly loaned them a DB-5 prototype/test mule. That was the car modified with the ejector seat and other Bond toys.  After all the Goldfinger/Thunderball hoopla died down a couple of years later, Aston rebuilt that car and removed all the 007 gadgets, including a whole new roof to get rid of the ejector hatch.  Then they re-painted it and sold it as a used car.

Today companies see advertising value in movie product placement. And the movie producers win becuase money is available to make their movie and it doesn't have to be paid back.

And then there is brand licensing where a company charges for using its name by another. What a win get someone to advertise your brand and get paid for it.

As I said round2 is more than happy to pay licensing to do coke memorabilia. Its obvious that it moves product and that's why they are doing so many kits. 

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

amtamt1024-12.jpg

I'll be buying this kit soon and dumpling the decals as I don't need them for my project.  

15 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

I'm not complaining. Just ask a question.:huh:

Coca Cola Kits?  Does this really enhance the sales of these kits ?

Yes it does in the big picture.  You get builders that want another kit. Collectors buying them both kit collectors and Coke collectors. Then Others will buy them as a gift for their friends that collect Coke products.