Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone Getting Ready For Winter?

3 hours ago, Junkman said:

That's 6 months more than you have now.

What? Without finishing the garage, I wouldn't be able to paint or use the work bench in the cold months. October through March would be a write off. But now I can use it all year round, so how do you figure that the 6 months I had is more than the 12 months I have now?

You're not making any sense here.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice day Friday and started cleaning out the garden for my winter crops . Slow process with the condition I'm in ( work 10 minutes , rest 15 minutes ) but the new tomatoes are up ( almost head high and bearing a nice load of fruit ) and I still need to clean off my herb table ( planning on doing that today ) , then , maybe I'll have time to get out in the garage and work on something .

Edited by oldnslow

Yesterday I spent the day getting the generator running. It was dead. No click. Put the charger on it and it was it was fully charged. Took the battery to O'Reilly's and they said it tested full charged. Came back home. Put the battery back in. Nothing. Stumped. Neighbor who is a mechanic. came over. Tried a few things. Checked the battery with his charger. Full charge. He left. I decided to jump start it. It turned right over.  Bad Battery. It turned over but wouldn't start. Took the carb apart. Cleaned it out. Put it back together. Runs like a top. Lesson learned. Run it at least once a month. 

Now, because of the 60 mph winds. Out to clean up the branched from the willow out front. That will take hours. Another lesson learned. Never plant a willow tree. One of the messiest trees around. 

And shut the ceiling AC vents. I think we're past any warm spell now.

:-)

Yeah, I'm ready!:( Got the last cut on the lawn and my tree's leaves cleaned up too. Brought the snow blower home from storage right before this happened on Oct 11th. The snow is pretty much completely gone now. It was so wet and heavy though, that combined with heavy winds, it just crushed the trees, most of which had not lost their leaves yet. They say about 30,000 of them were damaged in Winnipeg. They got a lot more snow southwest of us and power lines were down all over the province. Some steel towers were even toppled in places. Hydro has only recently been restored in some areas.:blink: We got away lucky and did not lose power.

IMG_8809.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

53 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Yesterday I spent the day getting the generator running. It was dead. No click. Put the charger on it and it was it was fully charged. Took the battery to O'Reilly's and they said it tested full charged. Came back home. Put the battery back in. Nothing. Stumped. Neighbor who is a mechanic. came over. Tried a few things. Checked the battery with his charger. Full charge. He left. I decided to jump start it. It turned right over.  Bad Battery. It turned over but wouldn't start. Took the carb apart. Cleaned it out. Put it back together. Runs like a top. Lesson learned. Run it at least once a month. 

Now, because of the 60 mph winds. Out to clean up the branched from the willow out front. That will take hours. Another lesson learned. Never plant a willow tree. One of the messiest trees around. 

?

I run the tractor, blower, generator, lawn mower, weed wacker,  and pressure washer the first of every month all year round.

it's not enough to just start and run a generator.  You need to plug something electric into it and run at the same time.  Something about turning the thing that makes the electricity.  Stator maybe??

Washed and waxed my Jeep, swapped the carpeted mats out for the Weathertechs, moved my snow blower from the shed to the garage...cleaned and stashed the grille, put away the yard and patio misc stuff, covered the AC unit, covered the patio furniture, blew some leaves around...

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I run the tractor, blower, generator, lawn mower, weed wacker,  and pressure washer the first of every month all year round.

it's not enough to just start and run a generator.  You need to plug something electric into it and run at the same time.  Something about turning the thing that makes the electricity.  Stator maybe??

I have a portable compressor I plug into it while it's running. Just to make sure it's working. :-)

Used the push and ridding mower to mulch all the leaves in the yard. I cut back most of the flowers in the flower beds. Put Sta-Bil in all of the gas powered equipment and brought in the hose real from the outside before it freezes. Tomorrow I'm going to service the snow blower and adjust the blade height. I hate doing this when it gets really cold. I'll also run the sprinklers one last time and then pull the stab out of the lake and drain the system for the winter. All of this is much easier to do as day time temps start to dip and I don't freeze any of my extremities. Maybe finish with a hot buttered rum just to get into the winter spirit.           

Is anyone else thinking “I should really get some bodies painted whilst the humidity is low?”

I prepped some projects today because we’re due to have some low-moisture days in the next week and I figured I should make the most of that before the weather gets bad here on the east coast 

22 hours ago, ewetwo said:

:-)

And fuel stabilizer?   Stabil, Pri-G?  Something like that so you don't have to dismantle carb?  And ethanol free gas if possible?   I used to work with the NC state motorcyle program and I had to keep or get running about 85  -100 bikes in my garage.   Have seen what bad gas will do in a floatbowl and carb.   and a battery tender year round.  Just suggestions to help.

As for getting ready for winter, I started getting my water based paints and supplies ready to go to the house.   Building isn't heated, so I take all that up to the house so it doesn't freeze.   In NC, I will have weekends where i can work in building with a little supplemental heat.  

43 minutes ago, randyc said:

And fuel stabilizer?   Stabil, Pri-G?  Something like that so you don't have to dismantle carb?  And ethanol free gas if possible?   I used to work with the NC state motorcyle program and I had to keep or get running about 85  -100 bikes in my garage.   Have seen what bad gas will do in a floatbowl and carb.   and a battery tender year round.  Just suggestions to help.

As for getting ready for winter, I started getting my water based paints and supplies ready to go to the house.   Building isn't heated, so I take all that up to the house so it doesn't freeze.   In NC, I will have weekends where i can work in building with a little supplemental heat.  

I use Sea Foam in all my gas engines. And the battery was on a tender but the battery was from 2005. It was due to be replaced. Just wished it didn't give everyone the "Good Battery" code and showing 12.6 when testing voltage. Ethanol free gas. Not where I live. LOL. I'll start it like Crazyjim said he does with his engines. I always run the zero turn and tractor every month during the winter.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:49 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

I live in Southern California. What is this 'Winter' thing you speak of?

B)

Don't have a clue!  I live in SoCal also.

Actually I am quite familiar with it.  Grew up in Nebraska, went to school in Wyoming, spent four years in northern Michigan and ten years in eastern Washington state.  Every winter I celebrate not being anywhere that it snows by not shoveling snow with the snow shovel I keep in the garage as a reminder of why I am here. 

Edited by Pete J.

Winter? Oh no no no no, and more no.

Actually winter is one of the main reasons we relocated to southern Az from northern Ky last year.

I'm actually working in the garage today ,,,,,, no shirt , short pants with an ice cold Dr Pepper

I think the Temps are  in the mid 80s and the sun is shining bright right now

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Don't have a clue!  I live in SoCal also.

Actually I am quite familiar with it.  Grew up in Nebraska, went to school in Wyoming, spent four years in northern Michigan and ten years in eastern Washington state.  Every winter I celebrate not being anywhere that it snows but not shoveling snow with the snow shovel I keep in the garage as a reminder of why I am here. 

My dad had one of those. I left it there when we sold his house. I should have brought it with me. Would have been perfect for cleaning up all the darn Lego blocks, and other toys. 

I was reading one of the dog eared magazines in the doctors office today. The magazine was a 6 month old Reader's Digest. They always have readers wright in with some funny stories or happenings that they were involved in. The story was from a couple that were vacationing in Canada, I don't recall where. The leaves were turning and the American's asked what the locals did during the winter. The Canadian told him that they go south for the winter. So the American asked him were he went. The Canadian told him they go to Vermont. Made me laugh anyway. 

I'm lining up a few projects that won't require painting. Got one already painted (just needs polish and assembly), four or five "polished plastic" projects to finish, a couple diecasts to Snake-Fu, a couple diecast kits to assemble, and a couple glue bombs that need rescuing. Got one more project I'm gonna try to lay paint on before it gets too cold, too. That should hold me till spring. 

I'm NEVER ready for winter. I have started putting things in the shed, got the snow blower out and shovel too. Also bought some driveway salt, put the garden hose in the recycle bin, and I need to clean the gutters or call someone to do it. I also need to have the landscaper here to clean up the leaves in the yard as well.  As I get older, I can't do all the work myself anymore. Sighhhhh.

I'm ALWAYS ready for spring & summer though.