Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

On 1/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, Dave Van said:

With the reissues I have gotten many kits I could not afford as a kid. It may not be on everyone's list but the coming Gypsy Wagon showrod is a $200+ kit before R2 did a lot of work to get it reissued.  (coming 1stQ) There are some other kits thought gone forever they are working on too......so they are working hard to make things available.  I'm a pretty happy guy! 

As another showrod guy, me too!  Long live Round 2!  I’m excited to see what the ‘gone forever’ kits are!

On 1/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Welp, guess all that cognitive dissonance over brand-new '66 Batmobile kits and 2016 Camaros has just been relieved then, eh?

To say nothing of retooling the most expensive component of the '67 Impala or, for the third time, aaaaaaalllll that SF stuff.

The '67 Impala 4 dr from R2 is a surprise.  This tells me they're willing to modify existing tooling to come up with a different body style on older kits.  Of course, from what I have been able to glean on the SH forum, they didn't destroy the 2dr "fastback" tooling to make it.  If that's the case, then I'm happier than a hog in pig spit.

At the risk of losing the '16-'18 version, I'd like to see them update the '16 Camaro tool into a 2019+ version.  And, I think making the ZL1 model is a natural progression from the '17 SS 1LE they currently have.  The Challenger tool could use some new parts and be converted into the Hellcat version. That would be nice to have as well.   

Edited by the other Mike S.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:44 PM, the other Mike S. said:

The Challenger tool could use some new parts and be converted into the Hellcat version. That would be nice to have as well.   

I just saw that Motormax now has a 2018 Hellcat in 1/24 diecast. I just got their 2019 ZR1 Corvette and it's pretty darn nice for the money. 

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I just saw that Motormax now has a 2018 Hellcat in 1/24 diecast. I just got their 2019 ZR1 Corvette and it's pretty darn nice for the money. 

I don't buy too many diecast anymore, but I did get the Hellcat, Zr1, Grand Sport Vette and a ZL1 Camaro because there are no kits and you are right, they are really nice for little $$$. Got all of them at CVS except for the ZR1, that one was from Walmart. Still looking for a C7 Z06. It is kind of fun to hunt for them! I would be happy to see more modern muscle from Welly, Motormax and Maisto. Would absolutely love a current Hellcat or Scat Pack Charger.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, Snake45 said:

With a little ingenuity and some clay and a drop or two of casting resin one could pick up that Motormax Hellcat and with the clay make a one time mold and VOILA!! Instant Hellcat resin emblems for your own personal use.

Edited by horsepower

I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what Round 2 is doing, especially all them show rods & drag cars they are bringing out that use to go for $200+ a kit..

I presume all the nagging rivet counters & whinging trolls are collectors that are now stuck with priceless model kits LOL. I'm ssoooo glad that none of the model companies listen to them :)

This is a hobby, something you do to relax & in the end, it's just a box of plastic hahaha

On 1/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, Tye Brown said:

I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what Round 2 is doing, especially all them show rods & drag cars they are bringing out that use to go for $200+ a kit..

I presume all the nagging rivet counters & whinging trolls are collectors that are now stuck with priceless model kits LOL. I'm ssoooo glad that none of the model companies listen to them :)

This is a hobby, something you do to relax & in the end, it's just a box of plastic hahaha

Amen.

16 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Amen.

I think no one here is against the restoring of tooling to bring back long lost kits, but many question the endless recycling of automotive kits one can find in the secondary market for cents on the dollar. I'm wondering if they do the same with the sci-fi kits.

Looking at the video, the car guys are in the minority at Round-2, and probably have to put on a pretty good fight to push something through, cuz the green light for the 4dr. Impala retool came from?!......

Edited by Luc Janssens

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I think no one here is against the restoring of tooling to bring back long lost kits, but many question the endless recycling of automotive kits one can find in the secondary market for cents on the dollar. I'm wondering if they do the same with the sci-fi kits.

Looking at the video, the car guys are in the minority at Round-2, and probably have to put on a pretty good fight to push something through, cuz the green light for the 4dr. Impala retool came from?!......

The Impala is a cross over from what I can tell. 

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The Impala is for the sci fi market. We just got lucky.

8 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Says they know who is willing to actually pay for new kits...

How would they know, since they bought the remains of amt, mpc, ertl, lindberg, polar lights, I didn't see anything new for the die hard classic/muscle car modelers, even the Demon which was supposed to be a mayor retool was canceled and before anyone mentions the late model Challenger, vette's and Camaro's....well modern cars are a though sell, unless it's motorsport.

Not trying to be a wise a$$ but trying to start a constructive debate;;;

Edited by Luc Janssens

26 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Indeed, which says a lot about the focus of the company.

The focus is on the money, the market. TV/sci-fi. Largest seller ever is the Hazzard Charger, suspect the Monkeemobile still sells, the Smokey and the Bandit T/A, KITT. But They started Star Trek stuff in 74 or so. Owned the market and it's done nothing but explode. Not even Japanese anticipated it. R-M is in it too. But  even Space 1999 stuff sells like mad from TV series a few decades ago

Model companies have financial issues first. Hard to deal with fickle market. But Star Wars, Star Trek, all transcend generations. And they pay up. 

It's a business. To make money. 

Edited by keyser

2 minutes ago, keyser said:

The focus is on the money, the market. TV/sci-fi. Largest seller ever is the Hazzard Charger, suspect the Monkeemobile still sells, the Smokey and the Bandit T/A, KITT. But They started Star Trek stuff in 74 or so. Owned the market and it's done nothing but explode. Not even Japanese anticipated it. R-M is in it too. But Space 1999 stuff sells like mad. 

Model companies have financial issues first. Hard to deal with fickle market. But Star Wars, Star Trek, all transcend generations. And they pay up. 

I understand, but Moebius also caters the sci-fi market as well as the automotive one, so one doesn't exclude the other.

4 minutes ago, keyser said:

But They started Star Trek stuff in 74 or so. Owned the market and it's done nothing but explode.

AMT was in on the ground floor with Star Trek.  They built the models of the ships used in filming the show, and got the rights to issue model kits as of day one.

LOL. Just realized yet ANOTHER New for 2020 thread has devolved. 

Yay. 2-3 Revells and an AMT. Need a "It's a business-No it's whatever" sticky thread. 

You da man Mark. I kinda recalled that but didn't want to get hammered by someone that didn't really know. 

Edited by keyser
Props to MB

4 minutes ago, keyser said:

The focus is on the money, the market. TV/sci-fi. Largest seller ever is the Hazzard Charger, suspect the Monkeemobile still sells, the Smokey and the Bandit T/A, KITT. But They started Star Trek stuff in 74 or so. Owned the market and it's done nothing but explode. Not even Japanese anticipated it. R-M is in it too. But  even Space 1999 stuff sells like mad from TV series a few decades ago

Also add into the TV/Movie market the Back to the Future kits from AMT (which was a reboxed Aoshima kit) and also Knight Rider KITT variations from Aoshima that blow the AMT version out of the water (and also makes me wonder why AMT didn't rebox those as the did the DeLorean), but kits like this not only appeal to modelers but to fans of the movie or shows who collect anything and everything connected with it. The same also goes for all the dread Coca Cola kits we poke fun at because while we want the kit for the vehicle inside, a Coca Cola collector would want it just for the fact it has Coca Cola on it. The only thing I would like to see with those kits would as in the recently reissued GMC General truck kit that has not seen the light of day since last century, have some non Coca Cola decals included also because while I want the reissue of that truck, I don't want to build a Coca cola truck out of it and those are the only decals included in it, nothing to make it just a nice everyday rig. 

33 minutes ago, highway said:

nothing to make it just a nice everyday rig. 

I would think that the General name decal and stars would be among those Coca-Cola Decals. And if they are they would work for an everyday GMC General as not all of them had the striped paint work . Some GMC Generals were just plain painted rigs! So even if there are no stripe decals that don't mean you cant make the stripes your self, and even in different colors unlike the old decal set that came with the kit before....