Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corona Virus (Covid 19) and Model Kits

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Wouldn't happen if the kits were produced here. The only thing they'd worry about would be an occasional injection molding machine operator union strike.

Are you saying that US factories would be immune to a local viral outbreak? That if something similar to Covid 19 developed in an area anywhere in the US, that a factory in that area would not be affected?

Would love to hear the logic behind that.

Can open, worms...everywhere.

I think possibly his statement was based on statistics, seems viral outbreaks are more common there than here. I could be totally wrong ( and probably am), but that’s my take on it.

and usually, any product hold up from the states is usually labor strike related.

54 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Are you saying that US factories would be immune to a local viral outbreak? That if something similar to Covid 19 developed in an area anywhere in the US, that a factory in that area would not be affected?

Would love to hear the logic behind that.

Can open, worms...everywhere.

Mebbe you should check the expiration date on them cans, Dan. :D The deadliest pandemic in U.S. history occurred in 1918, with about 675,000 deaths attributed to the Spanish Flu (H1N1 virus). The Swine Flu pandemic of 2009-2010 affected 40 people in the U.S. Modern medicine and quarantine protocols virtually rule out the possibility of widespread infections which would affect the populace here to the point of causing a complete shutdown of factories or major disruptions in a specific area

43 minutes ago, tbill said:

I think possibly his statement was based on statistics, seems viral outbreaks are more common there than here. I could be totally wrong ( and probably am), but that’s my take on it.

and usually, any product hold up from the states is usually labor strike related.

You got it right, Tom.

7 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Mebbe you should check the expiration date on them cans, Dan. :D The deadliest pandemic in U.S. history occurred in 1918, with about 675,000 deaths attributed to the Spanish Flu (H1N1 virus). The Swine Flu pandemic of 2009-2010 affected 40 people in the U.S. Modern medicine and quarantine protocols virtually rule out the possibility of widespread infections which would affect the populace here to the point of causing a complete shutdown of factories or major disruptions in a specific area

You got it right, Tom.

So one thinks. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by and large, but I can almost guarantee experiments are being conducted in this country now that we know nothing about.

Not surprised to  see this.  I'm sure a lot of products are going to be impacted in some way.

As far the impact of this or other diseases it only takes the right sequence of events and some disease can take off like wildfire. If big enough heath care resources will be quickly overwhelmed.  Developing vaccines doesn't happen overnight. It can be a year or more to test the effectiveness and safety. 

No country or countries are immune from the effects are a major epidemic given the fact how quickly one can be in another part of the world and how many people they come into contact in their travels. The world has been fairly fortunate so far.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Well, I did have major surgery last week...

The odds of something like this originating in North America or Europe is highly unlikely, but it could happen. 

And you're right. Labour disputes or local politics would be far more likely to affect US factories.

Places like Wal-Mart will see a bigger impact than us model builders. They rely on China to stock their store with products so you can imagine if our precious model kits aren't being produced, there is a lot more important or higher selling items that aren't being made either.

Can't imagine there are many on here who don't have a few kits to tide them over until things get back to normal.

The Swine Flu pandemic of 2009-2010 affected 40 people in the U.S. Modern medicine and quarantine protocols virtually rule out the possibility of widespread infections which would affect the populace here to the point of causing a complete shutdown of factories or major disruptions in a specific area

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

One of the best things about Rudy’s is some of the stuff he says;

”We don’t have a limit on how much you buy!” and “we have plenty of bags so you don’t need to worry about purchasing a lot!” and my favorite “if your wife calls we won’t tell her how much you spent!”

I need to go visit again, I haven’t been there in a while 

The hiccup will be seen into the early summer. Consider how far ahead retail items are manufactured and shipped out, that's why people can complain about Hobby Lobby having Christmas stuff out the day after Labor Day. February's Round2 kits are already in stores, and I got dollars to donuts the March kits were done and on their way prior to Lunar New Year because they were already going to shutter operations for 7-10 days anyways. The question would then become whether or not April's kits were on the water as well pushed out ahead of time. Because the U.S. Ports have allowed Chinese loaded vessels to dock and unload, they've just confined crews to the ships while at the docks.

Well, I can always go to Rudy's Hobby Supplies, in the Astoria section of Queens, N.Y., which is the modeling equivalent of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, to snag kits.

image.png.1f5dd20bab26faa5f7b40f125d0d23eb.png

image.png.b82086bcde7ab2053dd3a376ee8dd157.png

Wow, that looks like an awesome place. Too bad the chances of me ever seeing it in person are slim to none.