Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020 Kits !

Mr mopar

Salvino got stuff they wanted, that Atlantis likely wasn't going to do anything with.  Atlantis seems to be doing the "easier" items first (no plating or vinyl tires, though they have done a couple of kits with plating).  Hopefully those do well enough that they can dig into any automotive items they got.

27 minutes ago, Mark said:

Salvino got stuff they wanted, that Atlantis likely wasn't going to do anything with.  Atlantis seems to be doing the "easier" items first (no plating or vinyl tires, though they have done a couple of kits with plating).  Hopefully those do well enough that they can dig into any automotive items they got.

Agreed.....Atlantis is running what is ready to go. The 'Everything is go' Mercury display was run by Revell a few years ago and thus was in good shape and complete. I am sure that Atlantis has a few tools that are incomplete. Salvinos had to tool Clear parts and tires for some of the RM tools they got. So the tooling was a bit of a mess.......Atlantis needs some ROI before they start tooling missing or damaged inserts. I've contacted Atlantis with some suggestions I hope we see again. The big Tom Daniel trike kit is a big step. 

3 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

The NASCAR tire molds probably got sent to China. The tires were the same for every Monogram NASCAR kit from the 80s all the way to the last full detail kits in the 2010s.

That really is not correct.  Revell lost the Goodyear license and their kits in the 2000's were hollow tires without the Goodyear markings.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:10 PM, Roadrunner said:

You and me both. I'm considering the new '69 with the roof cut off to make a nice convertible.

Cutting the roof off will make a convertible, but not a "nice one"

For that you'll need to rework the rear deck and tulip panel between the deck lid and roof opening and the top of the 1/4 panels too.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Cutting the roof off will make a convertible, but not a "nice one"

For that you'll need to rework the rear deck and tulip panel between the deck lid and roof opening and the top of the 1/4 panels too.

I'll worry about all that when the time comes, but thanks a bunch for the info,  as I'd assumed they were identical, one to the other.

7 hours ago, Jim N said:

That really is not correct.  Revell lost the Goodyear license and their kits in the 2000's were hollow tires without the Goodyear markings.

The kit I was looking at was older than I thought it was. The tires in the late 90s kits still have the molded in Goodyear markings.

10 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Agreed.....Atlantis is running what is ready to go. The 'Everything is go' Mercury display was run by Revell a few years ago and thus was in good shape and complete. I am sure that Atlantis has a few tools that are incomplete. Salvinos had to tool Clear parts and tires for some of the RM tools they got. So the tooling was a bit of a mess.......Atlantis needs some ROI before they start tooling missing or damaged inserts. I've contacted Atlantis with some suggestions I hope we see again. The big Tom Daniel trike kit is a big step. 

The King Chopper will be a big step for them being there's rubber tires in that kit I heard  that the molds did need some clean up  and they have to do some chroming !

The only thing that Salvinos JR got is the Monogram NASCAR tooling from 1982-1993.

Back to the topic at hand, the '29 Ford, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (and I presume the LUV, but I didn't specifically confirm that one) are shipped from wholesalers/distributors and should be arriving at your local/online plastic pushers by Monday.  You mileage may vary depending on where your source is located relative their supplier.

9 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

The King Chopper will be a big step for them being there's rubber tires in that kit I heard  that the molds did need some clean up  and they have to do some chroming !

They've already done the Ghost of the Red Baron kit, which is mostly (if not all) plated.  So they do have access to plating equipment or facilities.  It's a new thing for Atlantis though, their previous kits have been molded in color and clear only.

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Back to the topic at hand, the '29 Ford, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (and I presume the LUV, but I didn't specifically confirm that one) are shipped from wholesalers/distributors and should be arriving at your local/online plastic pushers by Monday.  You mileage may vary depending on where your source is located relative their supplier.

Great News, James,  thanks for the update!   TIM  

2 hours ago, keyser said:

LifeGAURD. That anything like a LifeGUARD?  

I know nobody spell checks news articles. But DECALS?? 

And no customer service to request fixed decals. SMH

easy fix though, just need a pair of scissors.

It's kind like with MPC not having the Trans Am licensing back in the day ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

9 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

easy fix though, just need a pair of scissors.

It's kind like with MPC not having the Trans Am licensing back in the day ;)

Oh yes, the wonder broken up TRA NS AM on the decal sheets! :lol: The only thing I still don't understand is how MPC without that licencing was able to use the Trans Am names on the box art, because quite a few of those old late 70s and early 80s Trans Am kits have "Firebird Trans Am" on the box even into the AMT days.

One thing that I'm disappointed in with the Rubicon is I think Revell completely messed up more than just the spelling on LIFEGUARD with this kit. It's just my opinion so you can agree with it or not, but now that I have watched the unboxing video this has went from a "can't wait to see what's inside" to a "meh, I don't really care if I pick one up or not and probably won't" because I think Revell could have sold to many more by keeping the previous issue's off road parts in the kit as well as the new factory stock parts and day two add ons such as the snorkel and more aggressive tires than what you'd probably roll off the dealer lot with. I for one was planning on buying a few if the Baja Claw tires from the previous issue would have been included as options in this issue just for tires for the parts box without leaving me with a kit without tires and wheels I could have still built as a factory stock or a slightly modified in progress rig with a mix of the parts from both the new parts and the previous issue parts. As I said, this is just my opinion so I don't really care if anyone agrees with the way I feel or not, but I just see it as one more thing in a long line of things Revell messes up, and just not a misspelling on the decal sheet! Good job Revell, because I know for sure you lost at least a solid few kits you would have sold to me just because you couldn't make this kit be built optional ways. 

3 minutes ago, highway said:

Oh yes, the wonder broken up TRA NS AM on the decal sheets! :lol: The only thing I still don't understand is how MPC without that licencing was able to use the Trans Am names on the box art, because quite a few of those old late 70s and early 80s Trans Am kits have "Firebird Trans Am" on the box even into the AMT days.

One thing that I'm disappointed in with the Rubicon is I think Revell completely messed up more than just the spelling on LIFEGUARD with this kit. It's just my opinion so you can agree with it or not, but now that I have watched the unboxing video this has went from a "can't wait to see what's inside" to a "meh, I don't really care if I pick one up or not and probably won't" because I think Revell could have sold to many more by keeping the previous issue's off road parts in the kit as well as the new factory stock parts and day two add ons such as the snorkel and more aggressive tires than what you'd probably roll off the dealer lot with. I for one was planning on buying a few if the Baja Claw tires from the previous issue would have been included as options in this issue just for tires for the parts box without leaving me with a kit without tires and wheels I could have still built as a factory stock or a slightly modified in progress rig with a mix of the parts from both the new parts and the previous issue parts. As I said, this is just my opinion so I don't really care if anyone agrees with the way I feel or not, but I just see it as one more thing in a long line of things Revell messes up, and just not a misspelling on the decal sheet! Good job Revell, because I know for sure you lost at least a solid few kits you would have sold to me just because you couldn't make this kit be built optional ways. 

I passed on the previous releases of this tool mainly because it's curbside, and for off road vehicles I like all the greasy bits to be present including the engine, the reason also I'm not interested in the one Meng released.

12 hours ago, keyser said:

LifeGAURD. That anything like a LifeGUARD?  

I know nobody spell checks news articles. But DECALS?? 

And no customer service to request fixed decals. SMH

I've done the art for over 300 of my own decals and the art for many kits and aftermarket. 

My number one fear is to have something go to print with any error......a mis-spell is the worse.

No excuse for this one........spell check is your friend! 

25 minutes ago, highway said:

They were able to because they had paid for the licencing for a few years. It seems to go back and forth between the companys  a lot in those days.

Even GM had contemplated changing "Trans Am" to just "T/A" for the 3rd generation cars so they  wouldn't have to deal with the SCCA, who have always owned the rights to the name, not GM.

IMG 1058

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Even GM had contemplated changing "Trans Am" to just "T/A" for the 3rd generation cars so they  wouldn't have to deal with the SCCA, who have always owned the rights to the name, not GM.

Which is why Dodge employed T/A on their 1970 Challenger --- can't copyright numbers nor acronyms .

2 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

Say, how is this kit?  Back in 1979 or so I didn’t like the nose on this car, but now I have a soft spot for it and if it’s a decent kit I’ll get one.  

It is pretty bad but typical for it's time. Poor fit, I'm pretty certain the engine is the wrong, held over from earlier versions. I've got one that I want to put the chassis and interior from the newer 70 1/2 Camaro in but it's going to take some work.

35 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

It is pretty bad but typical for it's time. Poor fit, I'm pretty certain the engine is the wrong, held over from earlier versions. I've got one that I want to put the chassis and interior from the newer 70 1/2 Camaro in but it's going to take some work.

That would be great! That is something I never thought of..

Edited by slusher

6 hours ago, slusher said:

That would be great! That is something I never thought of..

It's going to take some work to get it to fit. The chassis plate is a little wide behind the rear wheel wells and for some reason the wheel base doesn't line up exactly. It's not impossible, just more work than it should be considering that stuff should be exactly the same.