Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '66 Mustang 2+2 GT Clean Survivor Resto-ish...Or Something...

Snake45

I just restored two AMT '66 Mustang fastback survivors and didn't really need another one, but when I happened across this one on eBay, it got to me. It looked exceptionally clean and complete, and had an opening bid of $65 with a Buy It Now price of $95. I watch-listed it, and then forgot to bid on it until about 15 minutes after deadline. Amazingly, it went off with no bids. The seller relisted it a couple days later at the same prices. Unbelievably, at closing time, I was the only bidder.

If anything, it was even cleaner and more impressive in person than in the pictures. Somebody did a NICE job with it. I WISH I had been able to build this kit this well back in 1966. Paint appears to be a Pactra metallic light blue/turquoise metallic. The only flaw in it is a bit of a run or metallic blotch at the rear end of the left side of the body. I couldn't think of any way to fix it that didn't risk making it worse, so I left it alone. The chassis had been painted flat black, and some of the body trim (including the troublesome F O R D on the hood) had been carefully brush painted Silver, but oddly, not the window trim. That was the only paint on the whole model.

66MustangGTTurq02.jpg.ad632b9021f71bfb377c4d06c87bfa0b.jpg

66MustangGTTurq04.jpg.eae6c52c0c0bc45fd51ef9b99bc76703.jpg

66MustangGTTurq05.jpg.9b8b67fb81037d00744c1c1c072e68e9.jpg

I didn't even try to give the paint my usual “light polish.” Heck, I didn't even wash the body in soap and water, that's how clean the whole thing was. The unpainted interior was likewise clean and pristine. I left it alone aside from trimming some molding flash off the steering wheel with an Xacto knife. The glass had a couple minor scratches and scuffs that I polished out with Wright's Silver Cream.

The GT stripe decals on the rocker panels weren't in great shape, but I just left them alone. Someday if I run across a nice set of originals, I might replace them, but I'll just leave these here for now.

As to the rest of it, I hate to call what I did a “restoration” (it was already in great original condition) or a “rescue” (which usually involves obvious visible improvement in sit/stance, wheels/tires, paint polishing or fixing, etc.). What I did might be called a “completion,” as I just added a few finishing touches. In fact, it was similar to my usual diecast Snake-Fu routine: sand the tire treads, detail the wheel covers (flat aluminum and dark metallic gray paint), detail the grille, and hit the window trim with my beloved Silver Sharpie. That's pretty much all it took to put a great survivor on my shelf.

66MustangGTTurq09.jpg.14096284e2718bbbdbd98cca33c89fc8.jpg

66MustangGTTurq11.jpg.6332eadf44c14ab201515004e06d7df2.jpg

66MustangGTTurq12.jpg.9241134dfae2ef8a7a30276a74624b20.jpg

66MustangGTTurq14.jpg.76e157ea47c5619f5445688ef9486655.jpg

66MustangGTTurq16.jpg.35157db67f43ae2607c6de89cdb03af9.jpg

66MustangGTTurq17.jpg.6b51263003788b34c29523dfff8e5d65.jpg

And BTW, whether by plan or coincidence, the OB had managed to make a pretty decent model of the box's end panel art, which is pretty cool. Thanks for looking, and as always, comments welcome.

66MustangGTTurq21.jpg.e8b8447a9bff55e08ceacee906cf5976.jpg

66MustangGTTurq24.jpg.bf51f6ae80d8a1cdd687a60f90696d59.jpg

Very nice score and it looks in great shape with the box art just like the paint.  Anyone know who the Alexander brothers were and what was customized?   I am guessing it was some of the odd looking parts that came in kits of that era that I have seen on the side of the box or in the instructions.

12 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Very nice score and it looks in great shape with the box art just like the paint.  Anyone know who the Alexander brothers were and what was customized?   I am guessing it was some of the odd looking parts that came in kits of that era that I have seen on the side of the box or in the instructions.

The Alexander brothers were well known customizers back in the sixties and built many famous cars. Just Google them.

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

I really like all of your Mustang restos but this one is especially nice. Does this kit have an engine or is it Craftsman style?

Also , where can I find Wrights silver cream?

This was a full-detail kit, full engine and underhood detail (for its day) but 1-piece chassis. Interestingly the chassis on the '66 fastback kit has the single exhaust. I guess they must have gone to the dual exhausts at some point in the reissues, but I don't know when. 

Wright's Silver Cream is in the housecleaning products aisle at Walmart. It's a silver polish but is water-based (no petro-chemicals) so safe on paints and plastics. I've also seen it at drugstores and other places home cleaning stuff is sold. 

Here's what it looks like: 

69CamaroMPC5.jpg.783a75e336d3b5f995359084604967c6.jpg

5 minutes ago, Draggon said:

What a great score! Not sure if you do facebook, but that one sure belongs on Dave Darby's Scale Survivors page!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/scalesurvivors/?multi_permalinks=3261224107268675&notif_id=1594319330839546&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

Thanks! I don't do freakbook but you or Dave are welcome to pick up a couple of these pics and post them there. B)

Edited by Snake45

On 7/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Nazz said:

Nice catch Snake.

Thanks Nazz! B)

On 7/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, vamach1 said:

Thanks Rex! Yah, Alexander Brothers were responsible for some of the more tasteful of the mid-'60s customs, probably best remembered for the Deora. 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, michelle said:

nice 

Thanks Michelle! B)

On 7/10/2020 at 9:15 PM, Spruslayer said:

Sweet pony,  looks awesome

Thanks Mike! B)

On 7/11/2020 at 1:23 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks excellent, well done to you and the original builder. Great for it to have survived the years so well, definitely something that deserved just a light touch - to do any more would have robbed it of its character.

Thanks! I try to respect the OB's work when it's done this cleanly. And held up so long--just think, over half a century!  B)

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks Nazz! B)

Thanks Rex! Yah, Alexander Brothers were responsible for some of the more tasteful of the mid-'60s customs, probably best remembered for the Deora. 

Thanks Michelle! B)

Thanks Mike! B)

Thanks! I try to respect the OB's work when it's done this cleanly. And held up so long--just think, over half a century!  B)

I like this attitude. I bought a built-up TransAm to use for parts on a T/A project I was gonna build. When I got it in, it looked so good, I just put it in the display case. The project I was gonna do is still in its box!