Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another MCM Editor is Onboard

15 hours ago, larrygre said:

Hi Bob,

We're still working out the logistics, so I would not want to speculate on exactly when that issue will happen.  We're getting closer to relaunch every day, so I ask you to "stay tuned" for updates.

It will go a long way to instill confidence if we can see 2 new issues this year. There are 5 months left in the year so it should be doable.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

It will go a long way to instill confidence if we can see 2 new issues this year. There are 5 months left in the year so it should be doable.

Haven't seen two issues in 5 years and you want two issues in 5 months???????

I will gladly subscribe to the rebooted magazine and wish you tremendous success.  It will give me one more reason to go to the mailbox. 

As an aside,  I build almost nothing but replica stock and was a great fan of the STRICTLY STOCK column. I will look forward to seeing it reappear. 

19 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Haven't seen two issues in 5 years and you want two issues in 5 months???????

That is not factually correct. 

Iwsue 206 was 11/7/19

Issue 205 was 2/18/18

Issue 204 was 8/21/17

My expectation of 2 issues is based on the fact the magazine is suppose to be printed 6 times a year.. 

1 minute ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

That is not factually correct. 

Iwsue 206 was 11/7/19

Issue 205 was 2/18/18

Issue 204 was 8/21/17

My expectation of 2 issues is based on the fact the magazine is suppose to be printed 6 times a year.. 

So my math was not 100% but the fact of the matter is that Issue #230 or something close to that should be out now and it isn't. The magazine has a history of not be published on a regular schedule and now, because someone has been announced as Associate Editor, you have expectations that ALL of the problems are in the past and we should see it delivered like clockwork?

For your information, Issue 204 was the last one printed before Harry died. Issue 205 was printed after he died but was nearly complete and ready for print. Issue 206 was contest coverage from the two previous years, stuff that had already been seen online and in other publications. There hasn't been any "NEW" MCM material for over three years, and Gregg has said in the past that he plans to run another Contest issue, which clearly indicates no new material. I fail to see where the excitement is over that? 

Again it serves no purpose to pass on speculation on your part. Your statement on on the number of issues was wrong and a little investigation would have shown that.

Now you are speculating on what content is available for the magazine without knowing the facts.

The job ahead to get the magazine back on track is hard enough. Don't make that task harder by not making factual statements.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Again it serves no purpose to pass on speculation on your part. Your statement on on the number of issues was wrong and a little investigation would have shown that.

Now you are speculating on what content is available for the magazine without knowing the facts.

The job ahead to get the magazine back on track is hard enough. Don't make that task harder by not making factual statements.

I agree with Bob!

And it’s just not right to criticize on the board paid for by Gregg. Also goes for comments about not willing to buy the magazine but happy to suck up the free message board!   Some manners people.

I am a subscriber and am hopeful by Larry’s post and involvement.  My first rule of life..  “Always root for the under dog!”

Edited by Tom Geiger

If its any help to the mag, there's a company in the uk called american auto mags that might be a good place to get the relaunched mag stocked in. They specalise in us auto mags and usually stock the other one. It would certainly make it easier for those of us in the uk to get the mag, and they go to lots of car shows so would maybe provide a little free promotion in the uk by doing so

I have a lot of experience to subscribing to magazines in general that cease publication and that includes a number of car modelling magazines. I sent my money in to subscribe to Plastic Fanatic just before it ceased publication but was very impressed when Gregg told me he would honor my subscription to the new Model Cars magazine. I have been a subscriber since issue #1 and will support Model Cars magazine and this forum for as long as I can. I have to admit I have not warmed up to digital magazines but maybe one day I will have to. 

The magazine suffered when Golden Bell Publishing who did all the printing, marketing and distribution closed it's doors. To get MCM off the ground again, I would imagine a similar organisation needs to be sought, and a layout expert/enthusiast like the late Harry Pristovnik as well as the new associate editor now on board.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 8/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, stitchdup said:

If its any help to the mag, there's a company in the uk called american auto mags that might be a good place to get the relaunched mag stocked in. They specalise in us auto mags and usually stock the other one. It would certainly make it easier for those of us in the uk to get the mag, and they go to lots of car shows so would maybe provide a little free promotion in the uk by doing so

There no longer importing any magazines from the USA 

http://www.americanautomags.com/

People keep referring to a relaunched magazine! Getting a new associate editor on board is not a relaunch just yet, and in order to do a proper relaunch, a publishing distribution company similar to Kalmbach needs to be sought. In this particular climate where MCM is concerned, a commercial magazine simply cannot be run properly as a one man (or two man) band anymore. Finding a professional company may prove difficult as the magazine has been ailing somewhat for the last three years of so, but it will be the only way to go if print is still to be the main medium, get it back on track with number of issues per year, and get regular distribution sorted out both to subscribers and retail outlets.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

As I see it, it's easy to find reasons why this will fail. However if you find reasons for failure it can only give you the satisfaction to say see I told you it would fail.

Me I hope that this is the start to getting the magazine back on track. There are plenty of hurdles to jump over at this point.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

I wish them the best, but I don't see myself subscribing. It will have to be distributed to newsstands or my LHS will have to carry it for me to ever buy it. My current LHS has never carried any magazines of any type that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

FYI TRUTH is NOT equal to unwarranted criticizing.   

We need a paper/print magazine. I will support what comes from this venture and if it looks like it gets back up on it's feet....subscribe. 

I stand by my words. Harping on the problems of the past serve no useful function at this time.

I agree that we need a print magazine and to support it.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, larrygre said:

Hi Bob,

We're still working out the logistics, so I would not want to speculate on exactly when that issue will happen.  We're getting closer to relaunch every day, so I ask you to "stay tuned" for updates.

First, Larry, I honestly mean this when I say Gregg has made an outstanding choice in your appointment. I sincerely wish you all the best.

Secondly, I've been considering doing some writing for some time, and if you are looking for a contributing column or a semi-regular writer, I'd be interested. Feel free to send me a message via Facebook, and we can see if we can help each other.

Charlie Larkin

22 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

First, Larry, I honestly mean this when I say Gregg has made an outstanding choice in your appointment. I sincerely wish you all the best.

Secondly, I've been considering doing some writing for some time, and if you are looking for a contributing column or a semi-regular writer, I'd be interested. Feel free to send me a message via Facebook, and we can see if we can help each other.

Charlie Larkin

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for offering!  We are always looking for "new blood" to provide content for the magazine.  I will be in touch on FB.

Best regards,

On 8/9/2020 at 2:22 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

As I see it, it's easy to find reasons why this will fail. However if you find reasons for failure it can only give you the satisfaction to say see I told you it would fail.

Me I hope that this is the start to getting the magazine back on track. There are plenty of hurdles to jump over at this point.

Hi Bob,

You are absolutely right.  Monumental indeed.  We're having to put a whole new infrastructure in place.  Fortunately its all coming together rather well, and the team is positive. 

As to success and failure, I've always believed in this quote from a very wise man named Daisaku Ikeda:

“If you lose today, win tomorrow.  In this never-ending spirit of challenge is found the heart of a victor.” 

As always, thanks for your support and your continued interest.

20 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

I finally got around to reading this. Looking forward to seeing Larry's work in the Mag. Welcome Larry, it's good to see you here.

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for your kind words.  Let's talk at length when we can, it's been a while since we've had a good chat!