Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

ZZR is my grail.  The kit is not that good, I have 3 junkers, and the real car was an oddity for sure. 

But I love the film for the campy 60's style that brings back growing up in SoCal......

My dream is to get a mint or new kit and build it with a full detail chassis and correct a few things.  

zzr.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

On 5/6/2021 at 9:10 PM, Mr mopar said:

Seen this on FB coming out Aug and the Bruce Larson Vega Pro stock !

183676735_4551972784820106_5490402362052589608_n.jpg

Darn it!  It looks like they dropped the Halibrand front wheels that were in the original Larson Vega kit - some of the coolest wheels ever.  Oh well, still good to have the Larson Pro Stock Vega back.  thinking out loud - Competition Resins (see also at Slixx) makes some good Motor Wheel Flys - or Cragar Super Tricks and Centerlines from Scott at Futurattraction.

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

ZZR is my grail.  The kit is not that good, I have 3 junkers, and the real car was an oddity for sure. 

But I love the film for the campy 60's style that brings back growing up in SoCal......

My dream is to get a mint or new kit and build it with a full detail chassis and correct a few things.  

zzr.jpg

This is the one kit I really wish they would bring back

On 5/7/2021 at 7:38 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Is it the 2 piece plastic sand tires? Is it too much to hope they tooled up a set of one piece "rubber" tires for this release (that could be used elsewhere too?)

About 10 years ago I bought a cheap reissue Piranha kit in the wrong box from the estate of a Milwaukee-area builder. When I got home and looked closer, I discovered it was a RC2-era test shot and it included the plastic sand tires and flag "pole" thing from the Sandcat. Considering the parts were in the mold when RC2 sampled it, I'd guess that the new reissue will include them too.

Edited by Don Sikora II

On 5/6/2021 at 4:24 PM, Casey said:

AMT 682 - 1/25 1962 Ford Thunderbird - Limited Edition(??)

AMT 1266 - 1/25 '37 Chevy Coupe "Salt Shaker"

AMT 1262 - 1/25 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1

AMT 1284 - VW Superbug - 1971 Unity Graphics (Coke, Google it...)

AMT 1285 - 1/25 Sandkat Dune Dragster

AMT D002 - 1/6 Schwinn "Apple Krate" Bike - Red

AMT D001 - 1/6 Schwinn "Orange Krate" Bike - Orange

I wonder what the Schwinn Krates are. The plastic kits are MPC and 1/8 scale, so there's a very good chance these are something else. Someplace I have a die cast Krate squirreled away....that might have been 1/6. Hmm....

9 minutes ago, Don Sikora II said:

I wonder what the Schwinn Krates are. The plastic kits are MPC and 1/8 scale, so there's a very good chance these are something else. Someplace I have a die cast Krate squirreled away....that might have been 1/6. Hmm....

Good catch. The "D" pre-fix should've tipped me off. They are in fact, die-cast models so I deleted them.

13 hours ago, Dave Van said:

zzr.jpg

Shucks, I would be happy to land a re-builder if you ever need to move one. I keep an eye out for a good condition one, but have yet to land one. The ones I see online I get outbid on.

On 5/6/2021 at 9:00 PM, Daddyfink said:

It is the Piranha drag car minus the body, and with the addition of the sand tires. So just this version has not been out for a long time. 

It makes a lot of sense for Round2 to reissue this, as both the stand alone dragster and dragster and street car Piranha kits were reissued not all that long ago (and don't appear to have sold all that well). Plus, with a die-cut display base and a sticker included, that aligns perfectly with Round2's recent history:

amtsk.jpg.ecee557e2475ca59ef5539129c74e547.jpg

1031934426_Vintage-Style--AMT--Sand-Kat-.jpg.d289b2021b3ebeb169640c72ef9eb92b.jpg

Sandbagger Instructions.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/1-sort/amt-sandbagger-dune/?view=roll#1

There were two others in the series.

The Sand Hog (the Surf Woody chassis)

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/1-sort/amt-sand-hog/

And a Third one, who's name I can never remember.

All three were a product on the early 1970's AMT "Troubles" period, when AMT was scrambling for revenue, and had little money for new tooling. So, they re-used what they had, in new ways. Notice that they did not even have decal sheets, just a a larger, unique decal. Clever, but I have no idea how successful these efforts were in the long run. However, AMT did survive, that is at least a partial answer.

Also, and this is just a guess, I'll be willing to bet that the ribbed sand tires are exactly the same as the ones in the AMT Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy. Again, tooling that already existed, and was reused. 

On 5/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dave Van said:

zzr.jpg

Isn't that thing supposed to have 2 Buick 430 engines in it Dave? 

I've seen the instructions for the kit, the engines look pretty simple. 

If you have one handy, could you please post a couple pics of it. I'm curious to what it looks like. 

On 5/9/2021 at 2:23 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

I spent way too much time doodling the Astro I as a kid, so that would be my first choice.

Funny the Astro 1 should be mentioned in this thread.

It was made into a drag car using the same chassis/engine as used in the "Sand Cat" and the Piranha drag car, also mentioned .

Scorpion Mid-Engine Drag Coupe (1/25) (fs)

25 minutes ago, alexis said:

Sandbagger Instructions.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/1-sort/amt-sandbagger-dune/?view=roll#1

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/1-sort/amt-sand-hog/

It was Sand T, their usual '25 T-bucket roadster with everything not necessary stripped out of it, and a couple new parts such as the dual rear tires and a chrome "flatbed" with a keg tank and roll bar on it. I restored/rescued my old one a few years ago. 

Just found this facebook page after Googling a few of the new kit numbers: https://www.facebook.com/gradistribution/ Not sure how accurate the dates are at this point, but they seem to be in the ballpark at the very least.

May 4, 2021 -- NEW ITEMS JUST ANNOUNCED BY ROUND 2

Model Kits - Available

AMT682/12 1962 Ford Thunderbird BACK FOR A LIMITED TIME! Jul-21

AMT1262M/12 1971 Ford Mustang Mach I Aug-21

AMT1265/12 1975 Chevy Van "Foxy Box" Sep-21

AMT1266/12 1937 Chevy Coupe "Salt Shaker" Sep-21

AMT1284M/12 Volkswagen Superbug 1971 Unity Graphics (Coke) Sep-21

AMT1285/12 Sandkat Dune Dragster Aug-21

MPC828/12 Bruce Larson USA/1 Pro Stock Vega Aug-21

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just found this facebook page after Googling a few of the new kit numbers: https://www.facebook.com/gradistribution/ Not sure how accurate the dates are at this point, but they seem to be in the ballpark at the very least.

Model Kits - Available

Those release dates are approximate at best.  The AMT 1971 Ford Mustang Mach I will be molded in white this time and includes an expanded decal sheet with more stripe options.  The AMT 1937 Chevy "Salt Shaker"  will have it's unique parts restored.   

-Steve

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Model Kits - Available

Hard to know if those release dates reflect the current shipping crisis affecting anything shipped from Asia. What took us 21-28 days from Japan/China/ Korea to US port is now taking 60-80 days. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, alexis said:

Sandbagger Instructions.

All three were a product on the early 1970's AMT "Troubles" period, when AMT was scrambling for revenue, and had little money for new tooling. So, they re-used what they had, in new ways. Notice that they did not even have decal sheets, just a a larger, unique decal. Clever, but I have no idea how successful these efforts were in the long run. However, AMT did survive, that is at least a partial answer.

Also, and this is just a guess, I'll be willing to bet that the ribbed sand tires are exactly the same as the ones in the AMT Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy. Again, tooling that already existed, and was reused. 

Thank you, I am definitely interested in one…

On 5/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, Can-Con said:

Funny the Astro 1 should be mentioned in this thread.

It was made into a drag car using the same chassis/engine as used in the "Sand Cat" and the Piranha drag car, also mentioned .

Very cool!

19 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

I noticed that the listing for the Alexander's Drag Time Deora has disappeared from the Stevens International page. Is it still listed anywhere else? Has it been cancelled? 🤔

Ah, good catch. Forgot about that one. Maybe interest in that...thing...was tepid at best.