Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Impala box art custom built with Revell kit


Recommended Posts

I dug mine out and took it apart yesterday. Wow, roughest screw removal I've ever experienced. 

I need another started project right now about like I need another hole in my head, but I was having a fit of industry. 

Mine's in worse shape than I thought. Gonna take a lot of work. Luckily, I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to do it. 

My clear hood has a sink mark in one corner, so I'm not gonna worry about keeping it clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Snake Go !! 

I'm just giving the bodywork on mine the final go-over before I start putting color on it. 

Got the Revell chassis to play nice with the AMT front clip. Took some grinding on the front inner fenders and at the back to clear the rear pan but it's good to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Got the Revell chassis to play nice with the AMT front clip. Took some grinding on the front inner fenders and at the back to clear the rear pan but it's good to go.

The chassis and engine on mine are complete. I'm going to be using that all (after painting it), including the cool original "Terra-Thrust" wheels. 

My interior is missing a couple of the custom pads, but if I don't have another set, I can scratchbuild those. Otherwise it's all there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This custom is looking great. I remember when this kit came out. I had to wait months after my dad got his real '65 Impala. The Palmer was out first, Fall of 1964 (ugh!) and the AMT convertible arrived sometime in the Spring of 1965. AMT was worth the wait. But it didn't go together as smoothly as the AMT 1964 Impala kit. When AMT dropped the screw chassis front an rear, the construction was not as blast proof as before (1958-1964).

Link to post
Share on other sites

First order of bidness on mine will be fixing the edges on the front end and the front doors. The tube glue had "rat-eaten" these edges and there's no good way to fix them, they'll have to be rebuilt completely (pic back on Page 1). I've put a layer of "fauxberglass" (newsprint impregnated with superglue) on all four back surfaces to stick out and act as a reinforcing shelf; when the fauxberglass is cured, I'll lay a bead of Loctite Super Glue Gel (ask for it by name) along all four edges and then work those beads down to form the new, clean door and fender edges. 

Have also started seeing if I can make that clear top fit a little better. 

As of right now, I'm looking at a simpler paint job than the Winfield Fade I originally had in mind. Thinking of Krylon Sparkle Green, a "bass boat metalflake," or perhaps a two-tone with that and Testor White Lightning (white pearl). We'll see what happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

VERY pretty! B)

You are now so far ahead of me I will never catch up. And I can't even work on mine again until I finish up at least two other things. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful looking paint and the "Fade" treatment goes perfect with all the body work here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...