Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Of all the excellent work you've done on this, the engine bay stands out the most to me. When adding detail in this area, the biggest trick is getting everything to look properly in scale and you've managed to nail it in that respect.

Well Done Sir!

David G.

Nicest looking engine you've done yet , and you definitely have making those wire harnesses figured out . Excellent work Steve !

I know it's a small detail but I think the weighted tires add a lot more realism to the finished look .

Edited by TooOld

Dont forget .

that rectangular plate behind where the power brake booster goes is supposed to be a low gloss black

ps, if planning to replicate power brakes. All hemi cars the booster is also a semi gloss black

firewall2.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Of all the excellent work you've done on this, the engine bay stands out the most to me. When adding detail in this area, the biggest trick is getting everything to look properly in scale and you've managed to nail it in that respect.

Well Done Sir!

David G.

Thanks David.

I still have a little ways to go with the engine bay stuff, but it's likely that I will begin to tackle more of that coming up right after the foil is finished.

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

Nicest looking engine you've done yet , and you definitely have making those wire harnesses figured out . Excellent work Steve !

I know it's a small detail but I think the weighted tires add a lot more realism to the finished look .

slicing a little off of these resin tires proved to be a lot more difficult than I thought!

That stuff is tougher than nails!

I wound up using one of my best and sharpest Wusthof chef's knives to do it with!! :P

55 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Dont forget .

that rectangular plate behind where the power brake booster goes is supposed to be a low gloss black

ps, if planning to replicate power brakes. All hemi cars the booster is also a semi gloss black

firewall2.jpg

Thanks Bill.

I was aware of the brake booster color, but hadn't gotten as far as the plate behind it.

Likely would have missed that as I am adding the booster, but it's something that I can easily add to the list now.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

6 hours ago, beeRS said:

This is looking so good. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Keep 'er comin' Steven. I know that there's more on the way from you but I almost hate to see this one come to a close as I look forward to every update.

I can't wait until this one is done!

It's been far too long in the making!

But, then again, it won't matter much.

I suppose I'll spend as much time on the next one too! :rolleyes:

Steve

On 12/12/2021 at 12:52 AM, Straightliner59 said:

What can be said, but, you nail it, again, and again. It's a pleasure to watch you build.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:05 AM, David G. said:

As I've said before, Museum Quality!

David G.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:17 AM, 1972coronet said:

Another one of your creations which looks like one could hop into and drive away in. 

Like others have stated : I can't wait to see the finished product ; I also thoroughly enjoy following your amazing craftsmanship.

Thanks fellas!

Finished up the detailing on the grille today.

Satisfactory. ^_^

image.jpeg.bbb9441792eb1e167923cbed1c36843a.jpeg

image.jpeg.f14d5fff0edf2b462d5f5b684ba068ad.jpeg

image.jpeg.62ff8a793b94a36b6679b5a9157dd2fb.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6613cf453496d7b8090a0152c1f7dcb.jpeg

Steve

• Like 4

10 hours ago, drodg said:

Great grill and headlamp work.  The car is beautiful.   That had to be a little nerve wracking to be drilling into that grill to remove the original headlamps.  At least it would be for me.   

Thanks David!

One thing that I've always hated was the unfinished look of the inside of the A-pillars on most model cars.

Like my past few projects, I addressed this by scratching some up.

One of those things that most people will probably never notice, but if you're anything like me, it's one of those areas that you would definitely notice if it wasn't there.

I find myself increasingly not able to get past certain things on an old annual kit build without changing them.

Replacing the molded in headlights with clear lenses is one, removing the ugly front screw posts is another, and this is becoming just one more! :P

image.jpeg.ec1cc8c38816ae410c8be6e907260b32.jpeg

image.jpeg.bbeb35ce2f0a76d6de957f255aac38bc.jpeg

image.jpeg.f23951508e60590ef26ba6e0fa43f525.jpeg

image.jpeg.1d4a16755e6fb23d71cca1db6bd2cf84.jpeg

image.jpeg.c1afb0c9a30ed4d9315a4a51d35acc4f.jpeg

image.jpeg.804b802558c5acd09787a92f213fdc65.jpeg

image.jpeg.88a8f213919df24c20db58a8257778bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.3141dc72f957891dd17564bd0abfcdf2.jpeg

image.jpeg.eba7f9b14f0a64a91b477f356ef93c46.jpeg

Steve

• Like 3

Those A-Pillar trim pieces are an excellent addition , well done !  This is really coming together and may be one of your nicest yet , can't really pick 'cause I like them all !

I'm going to go back through this thread to see how you did those headlight buckets , very nice .

Steve, I'm really enjoying how this is coming together! I have the '68 Convertible version of this, and when the time comes to restore it, I'll be referring to your techniques and such to get 'er together.

Your A Pillar trim is particularly a good idea especially in a convertible. Looks so much more finished and tidy with those in place. 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

Those A-Pillar trim pieces are an excellent addition , well done !  This is really coming together and may be one of your nicest yet , can't really pick 'cause I like them all !

I'm going to go back through this thread to see how you did those headlight buckets , very nice .

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Great work on those A-pillars!

Most people don't consciously notice subtle details like that but all those subtleties add up to create an overall greater impression of realism.

David G. 

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

It gets better every time I come back to look! Absolutely beautiful mopar. Another show winner for sure!

Thanks guys!

Not sure how many progress posts I'll be sharing over the next month or so as I've been put on "double secret probation" for what I had assumed was a harmless joke and all of my posts are being monitored for naughtiness from here on out.

I currently have better things to do than to deal with this kind of ridiculousness a this time so I will probably just fade away for a while rather than to battle with the powers that be over this foolishness.

I'll spend what time I have working on this project and posting the progress over on "Mopars In Scale" and the Facebook groups that I belong to, so if anyone is interested, You can find me there.

In the meantime, I'll make the assessment as to whether or not I will return to this site, or just leave it in your capable hands.

I truly do enjoy the company of many of you, and will miss conversing with you should I decide to move on, but there comes a time when one needs make these kinds of decisions.

As I'm being "closely monitored" and my posts will need to be "approved" by the big cheese, what happens with this post might be a deciding factor in making that decision.

We shall see.

In the meantime, a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!

Maybe I'll see you on the flip side. ;)

Steve 

• Haha 1

Don't forget the dome light! I am sure that you didn't though; and you likely have plans to put in a scratch built review mirror and sun visors too! The A pillars look awesome; and were always something that I thought of too...........but haven't attempted since it's been 12 years since I last finished a model!

118530979_3286108128171427_5007953480742940045_o.jpg

Hi Steve, so much great stuff here. Your builds as I have said before are very educational, so many great details and ideas. Your craftsmanship is superb! True story: 2 days ago I was at my hobby desk playing around with the interior on my current build. If I’m working on interiors, you (and your amazing interiors) always come to mind. I was thinking, “ hmmmmm, I wonder what Steve does with his A pillars, he probably does something….” Those A pillar pieces are perfect! I may try something like that on my build, so thanks  for sharing sir. This build is really coming together, is it as close as it looks? 

Cheers, Steve

• Xingu locked this topic