Model Cars Magazine Forum

egg crate grille and the car behind it!

Paul Payne

Got a little more work done. The Tbird hood was glued in place so that it can be cut for the new hood opening as well as allowing strength for the new front wheel openings and the cutting away of the old radiator/screw mount area. This will be replace by a new cross piece mounted to the forward bulkheads in the aircraft halves. The chassis was also cut apart to lengthen the wheelbase. A patch piece will be installed adding about 5/8" to the length. The top of the chassis plate will also be the interior floor. The shape of the interior opening is beginning to be roughed in. This will have a center dividing strip similar to a Corvette and extending forward on the driveshaft tunnel to the underside of the dashboard. I was also unhappy about the shape of the hood so I cut a pie wedge at the back to reduce the width. This will allow me to extend the side contours up into the front cowl and windshield area without an angle change.

fender cutaway.jpeg

bulkhead.jpeg

chassis cut.jpeg

more primer.jpeg

piecut hood.jpeg

interior surround.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Still progressing- cut apart the chassis and lengthened it with a filler piece. Looked through the junk yard and decided bed covers and pickup beds would be good beginnings for the belly pan. I also began developing the cowl section to allow mounting a veed windshield frame. Now I can create the rest of the hood and figure out how to hinge it. Have not made much progress on the grille- have to figure out the front end in conjunction with the grille size and contours.

belly pan potential.jpeg

chassis.jpeg

body.jpeg

cowl development.jpeg

Really enjoying watching this creation take shape.  Are you working from any kind of drawing or is this project all in your head?  I have found that the simplest, roughest sketches of a project will help me keep focused on the final outcome. That being said, keep those updates coming, I am anxious to see what develops.

Ricky, so far this project is pretty much in my head, with various plastic shapes and parts giving me ideas of where this could go. The illustrations on the internet for idea and concept cars are the only drawings.  Went to the Hoosier model contest where I found the remains of an airplane which started this- these are the sides grafted onto the T-bird sides. So, much more freeform than other projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's still alive- got some more work done. I began to build the v-16 using 2 Chevy small blocks from the AMT 57 Chevy. Transmissions removed, axle holes filled with sprue. The bucket seats have had backs added and the open areas beginning to be filled. Lots more to do on these. Added extension sections to the hood, but I am not really satisfied with the overall cross section- doesn't match the cowl profile or the hood front as well as it should- adjustment may be required! Decided to throw some putty on the rear section- especially around some added material for the rear fenders and the tail light area. Cut out the engine compartment opening- everything stayed nice and solid. Still working on the egg crate grille- this is a much slower process than I imagined at the start but I will continue on...............

v-16 beginnings.jpeg

seats.jpeg

puttied rear.jpeg

hood opening.jpeg

extended hood.jpeg

Paul, you may want to take a look at the custom headlight/fender extension setup from the AMT '64 Pontiac Grand Prix:

272173097_64grandprixcustom.jpg.e6196228f42985c07fca7d21cbb51929.jpg

Nice design, and you almost never see the Grand Prix built custom, so it's not too familiar - but not too hard to find the parts either.

I recognized the airplane parts you used - they're from the old 1/48 scale Aurora B-25 bomber.

Christopher, the custom headlight treatment looks very interesting- I may have to track one of these down! I was toying with the AMT 57 T-bird styline front end with the triangular headlight covers, but not yet committed.

Mark, the chassis is the T-bird one piece unit, cut and lengthened to fit, since the front end is longer to accommodate the v-16 engine. Will mostly be belly pan with minimal detail on the front suspension.

I also tore apart the hood because I couldn't correct the mismatches between the cowl and forward section of the hood I was grafting to. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally resolved the area of the inside front fenders. I realized that plastic spoon tips might be the answer! So, out came the razor saw, then the sanding sticks, and the resulting fit was nearly perfect! 

Sadly, I learned from another thread that Ted "Chopper" Lear passed away late last year. Another grievous loss to our modeling community. This thread is now dedicated to his memory and his love of long, sleek, and low customs.

Now I HAVE to finish this project!

front fenders.jpeg

left front fender.jpeg

right front fender.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it IS the egg crate grille and... So, here are some pix of the grille progress as well as other things I have been working on. The hood has been a (insert colorful language of your choice), much more challenging than I thought it would be. I also realized I needed to do some serious development on the areas to either side of the hood, which is critical to the final fit of the grille, once additional sections to either side are added- so, lots more H section laminating and contouring, and blending with the center section, which still must be contoured to the horizontal footprint of the hood, which must be- you get the idea!

I block sanded down the rear of the chassis and installed the belly pan-still needs some final shaping around the wheel wells. Between the seats I installed a buttress for a section which will run down between the seats, on top of the drive shaft tunnel, and back up to meet the bottom of the dash. The seats are done except for very minor filling and sanding. Mocked things up a bit to give you an idea of what it will look like. Since the inside door panels will be curved, I found some panels with curves- a good starting point.

That's all for now, folks!

grille 1.jpeg

grille 2.jpeg

final belly pan.jpeg

seats 1.jpeg

seats 2.jpeg

interior mockup 1.jpeg

interior mockup 2.jpeg

• 2 months later...

The (long string of highly picturesque and explicitly genealogical expletives) hood has been my nemesis-this is about the third time piecing it together and now I need to do a lot of sanding and fitting to see where I'm at, if indeed I am anywhere at all! Meanwhile I have been puttying and sanding and reshaping and puttying and sanding and reshaping (you see where this is going) the body. The tail light areas will end up being extensively reshaped. I may use deep red toothbrush handle plastic for the lenses. No additional progress on the egg crate grille, but I have been working on the V-16 engine. I am planning on a central gear tower between each V-8 section which will provide the gears for both the camshafts and also the twin centrifugal superchargers which will be mounted on each side of the engine. This idea was used in prewar Alfa Romeo straight 8 engines. Since centrifugal superchargers are very hard to come by in 1/25th or 1/24th scale, I decided to scratchbuild one, and then have some resin castings made. Digging through the stash, I discovered a solid airplane wheel and tire about 3/4" diameter molded in silver grey plastic. First, I used a fine saw to cut down through the tread and sidewall of the tire portion. Then, to one side of the cut, I began to remove material to about half the tire thickness, then continued removing less and less material along the diameter. Next, I removed the wheel area with a reamer and circular file until nothing but the tire was left. After this I narrowed and tapered the cross section. I have included a picture of my results so far, as well as a picture of the supercharger used on the Novi race car engine, that I am trying to replicate.

boattailprogress01.jpg

v16.jpg

centrifugal supercharger.jpg

p4 NOVI-CENTRIFUGAL-BLOWER.jpg

You're a madman!
That Novi blower is a complicated piece. There might be a 3D printed or cast-metal alternative, should you tire (no pun intended) of scratchbuilding it.

Keep at it, this project is really cool.