Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Thunderbird Re-imagined Custom

Lunajammer

I've had this as a bagged kit for a few years (sample box from web). I also have a ton of part boxes handed down to me so I want to use some of those for a project. With the week off I have time to zone-in for hours on end.

599223857_BoxArt.jpg.bdebee8b2aba4b81297abdc89494b0de.jpg

The first place to start is to remove the parts that identify it as a T-Bird, beginning with the fins.

FinsCut.jpeg.49953faa86066bfa6448a5efe335a27d.jpeg

Same goes for the bug eye tail lights. It can stand to have some length cut too, especially if I'm going to rebuild it with something else.

115702869_RearEndRemoved.jpeg.f65d2c6c1da0e72cd6f51d5252b2ad22.jpeg

With the tail lights gone, we don't need character lines forming into them.

RearQuarterShaved.jpeg.3b188709872a9bcb6bbf71b483313b54.jpeg

With the body smoothed and basically slab sided, I can do anything I want and most things will still line up. One of the reasons I selected this car is because there are few character lines to argue with my creative choices, especially since I'm doing this without a real plan and am changing my mind as I go.

RearQuarterSmoothed.jpeg.bd00bc0cb4ec54f131a76a300049d8b6.jpeg

This is the piece I think I want to use. It's so... not Thunderbird. But the body needs to be trimmed to fit so I'll take a wedge out to slope down the corners.

RearPieceFPO.jpeg.6de2a8478eac8668fdfe92d8a9be6af0.jpeg

RearSlopingCuts.jpeg.e13c25145a29cc7056a841178f822a8d.jpeg

RearSlopeGlued.jpeg.bbba2072a4f228bfcdcdac5403d9438b.jpeg

The new tail piece has been paint stripped and is in place. To match the width of the new piece the fenders were pulled apart and plastic has been added to complete the body shape. You can see that the length of the rear quarters has returned. More fine shaping and bondo to come.

RearEndPieceInPlace.jpeg.415fdbacf95850e10b77378a645cf974.jpeg

Edited by Lunajammer

4 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

hope your stocked up on filler ! !

True dat! And an arsenal of sandpaper. I actually did buy more last night.

Trying to go for a Starbird style 60's custom and really wanted a bubble top but it looks like it's not right for this project.

Thanks for the good words everyone. I welcome all comments.

On to the front. I want to flatten it to make it easier to customize any way I want so it's clipped.

NoseClipped.jpeg.fd8eca411b1e2e384cfefcc4b21c133e.jpeg

I also want to slope the nose so it's more sympathetic to the back of the car and try to soften the Thunderbird bones so I'm taking a wedge out of the fender tops.

HeadlightsFendersShaved.jpeg.a36799d7e4e3b94b1fab9546b73bd72a.jpeg

RtFrontShavedBody.jpeg.31bf979b11f3e63ebb89963e97757555.jpeg

A couple hours of imagineering and a headache later, trying to figure out what I wanted to do to the front end, I finally just took the easy way and stuck on a custom piece from the '49 Ford. It's maybe a little clunky but it's not outside the style era. Saves me a few days work.

GrillInsertted.jpeg.93d58237d956a8c0d1dac1e5cecafdb5.jpeg

ProfileNo1.jpeg.1414df94468e133a7e577a4fc49945c4.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When I saw your thread I thought you’d be using the custom parts from this kit, 

Good point Tom and confirms what I was sort of afraid of, so I retitled the thread (while I still can).

Thanks for your insights on the rear piece. That makes sense. I was hoping someone might help ID.

The angle-sectioned fender tops are something I've never seen before. Fascinating!

I think the '49 Ford custom grille surround works pretty well, and looks good with the curve of the Tbird hood surround.

Now you've got me wondering if I could combine a '57 Tbird and a '49 Ford roof to make a euro-style hardtop custom...

1 hour ago, Spex84 said:

Now you've got me wondering if I could combine a '57 Tbird and a '49 Ford roof to make a euro-style hardtop custom...

I think that's a good instinct. I considered something like that but there seems to be no way around this being a roadster. Might be different if the 'bird's unaltered. The top would need some heavy alterations though.

Definitely have my attention.  Love watching full customs take shape.  I like the stock shape of the early 'Bird, but your changes use that shape and take it to a whole different level.  I have a couple customs in work that I really need to get back to.