Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just a Factory Stock 1983 Hurst/Olds by Revell.

Dragonhawk1066

My first accomplishment for 2021 is the Revell 1/25 scale 1983 Hurst/Olds 15th Anniversary kit. I painted the top in Delta Ceramcoat Black Pearl craft paint and the bottom is Decoart Dazzling Metallics Shimmering Silver craft paint. I used Pledge Floor Gloss for the clear, and I waxed it with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I used three different shades of Apple Barrel craft paint for the interior, Elephant Gray, Country Gray, and Granite Gray. The trim is done with BMF and a few of the extra details I added are valve stems, plug wires, and heater hoses. This is a great kit with great fitment, and was a joy to put together with only some of the decals being a little tricky. I worry that some of the pics don't really do it justice as the finish is glass smooth and very glossy (I even impressed myself there, lol) and there is some pearl in the black that doesn't really show in the pics. Anyways, as always, thanks for looking!!!

2.JPG

15.jpg

16.JPG

20.JPG

27.jpg

31.jpg

36.JPG

38.JPG

44.JPG

51.jpg

IMG_20210120_144949.jpg

52.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

8 hours ago, e30lover said:

Very  nice! Love  the interior details.

7 hours ago, drodg said:

Nice job.   

7 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Nice work on the interior. The details remind me of the second '86 my mom had.

Overall, very nice work.

Charlie Larkin

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks fantastic!

1 hour ago, espo said:

Great looking Old's. Very smooth looking paint and the decals all look good and straight. 

1 hour ago, AMT68 said:

Beautiful job overall. I've heard the decals can be tricky on this one and yours are spot on. 

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Well done. 

24 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Great looking model.

Thanks guys! Yes, the decals can get tricky around the wheel wells and around the front end, especially to match up with the upper side stripes.

I'm an old-school guy who loves his enamels, but the number of high quality paint jobs achieved with "craft paints" over the last few years has me intrigued.  Feel free to pat yourself on the back for the way that paint flowed out.  Nice assembly and decal work as well. 

Great job Craig and I'm glad to see another craft paint job that came out so nice. I'm pretty sure the craft paint route is gonna be for me. You might want to consider Rustoleum Acrylic Laquer clear.     I just love the easy clean-up and if done right the smoothness.

Great looking Olds👍

Edited by TransAmMike
added content

On 1/27/2021 at 7:02 PM, Tom99 said:

Looking very good.

Thanks Tom!

20 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks very good 

Thanks Eric!

5 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Nicely done! Great detail.

Thank you Dennis!

30 minutes ago, RAMBENNA said:

great job looks awesome

Thanks Cliff!

20 hours ago, Monty said:

I'm an old-school guy who loves his enamels, but the number of high quality paint jobs achieved with "craft paints" over the last few years has me intrigued.  Feel free to pat yourself on the back for the way that paint flowed out.  Nice assembly and decal work as well. 

Thanks Monty, my first two paint jobs I did three years ago after 20 years away from the hobby were enamel, then I tried lacquer and was sold on lacquers after that. I got an airbrush in hopes of following Donn Yost's painting methods, but I can not paint with lacquers and enamels in the house, so the craft paint method was researched and tried. I still use the lacquer spray cans in my shed in the warmer months, but it's great to be able to also lay down a decent craft paint job in the house during the winter months.

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That's a really nice looking Olds Craig! The interior along with the nice looking paint work really makes it stand out! I bought one of these with plans to drop it over a P/S chassis. But, yours has made me rethink that idea. Nice work!

Thanks Roger! I have another one that I was thinking of doing something similar to your plans with.

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Great job Craig and I'm glad to see another craft paint job that came out so nice. I'm pretty sure the craft paint route is gonna be for me. You might want to consider Rustoleum Acrylic Laquer clear.     I just love the easy clean-up and if done right the smoothness.

Great looking Olds👍

Thank you Mike! They're just so easy to work with in my opinion, and such easy clean-up, and no smell, lol. I have to ask about the smell on the Rustoleum Lacquer Clear, as I've seen others have good success with it. I can't spray anything solvent based in the house due to the family having sensitivities to the smell.

57 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thank you Mike! They're just so easy to work with in my opinion, and such easy clean-up, and no smell, lol. I have to ask about the smell on the Rustoleum Lacquer Clear, as I've seen others have good success with it. I can't spray anything solvent based in the house due to the family having sensitivities to the smell.

Well Craig, the smell would be a problem.

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Craig, the smell would be a problem.

LOL, that's what I figured. I am probably still going to try it during the summer when I can paint in the shed, as it would be a cost-effective alternative to the smaller cans of Tamiya and Testors.

55 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

LOL, that's what I figured. I am probably still going to try it during the summer when I can paint in the shed, as it would be a cost-effective alternative to the smaller cans of Tamiya and Testors.

All my painting is done in my garage (not heated) but of course now being wintertime it's not happening very much. I got a new airbrush for Christmas and have yet to use it. As for the Rustoleum, I used it twice with good results and you're right about being more cost effective.