Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testor's is No More

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Just bouncing off your post here Charlie. I've done several base coats in craft paint, over the right primer and thinned with the right thinner they work great imo ( requires clear coat). Most of my interiors are craft paint or another acrylic with various combos of Liquitex varnish in them and or over them. Now and then I break out Tamiya acrylic or Vallejo. For me they ( craft paint) both spray good and brush good, they aren't expensive so that's all a win. Not to mention my recently passed on wife artist had about 100 colors in stock here, not to mention artist acrylics.  Works great for me. Expensive isn't always better if you know how to use a product needed for the chore. However if you want perfect match without mixing etc. then it's hard to beat the aftermarket scale paints for that ( though costly, dig deeper into the wallet lol). But you sometimes can't escape the thought of a fool and his money in some cases, in other words spending more isn't " always gain" especially if a fixed income leaves options slim. And then on the other hand in my case I'd have been foolish not to learn the ways of acrylic paints since so many were available to me that we already stocked in the house.. Honestly I recently painted a 1/16 scale Model A in MCW lacquer and in no way did it come out any better than craft paint and lacquer clear coat,not at all. And between the paint and shipping it was nearly $18 vs $1 for craft paint but of course the color was dead on..  I can honestly say Never Again, it simply isn't that magical !

Not to mention relatively inexpensive lacquer nail polishes from places like Walmart.

Well said Dave on all points!!👍

• 2 weeks later...

Over on the Spotlight board this same rumor cam up last week. So, Dave Darby actually went to the source, Testors, and got a response. The Testors line is NOT GOING AWAY!!! They are in the process of dropping all the sub-lines like they announced last year. But the rumor that the entire Testors line is going away appears to be perpetuated by modelers and even hobby shops and distributors playing a bad game of "telephone". Not saying anyone is doing it purposely, but the misinformation is rampant. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The Testors line is NOT GOING AWAY!!! They are in the process of dropping all the sub-lines like they announced last year. But the rumor that the entire Testors line is going away appears to be perpetuated by modelers and even hobby shops and distributors playing a bad game of "telephone". Not saying anyone is doing it purposely, but the misinformation is rampant. 

The information seen most often would indeed indicate that the lacquers and Model Master lines will be going away, the "plain old Testors" sprays and bottles will be sticking around.

A lot of local hobby shop guys will sometimes spread bad information because they don't want to add or continue a product line.  They'll take the gamble that you'll find a "close enough" product or item that they already have on the shelves, a gamble they often lose with me.  

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

So then, WTH is the truth here.  What Testors products will actually be out there and how do we find out?

Like I said, any sub-line of Testors is going away. That means Model Master, Aztec, Extreme Lacquers etc. When they announced that last year they said some products would be folded into the main Testors line. What gets retained has yet to be seen.

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Over on the Spotlight board this same rumor cam up last week. So, Dave Darby actually went to the source, Testors, and got a response. The Testors line is NOT GOING AWAY!!! They are in the process of dropping all the sub-lines like they announced last year. But the rumor that the entire Testors line is going away appears to be perpetuated by modelers and even hobby shops and distributors playing a bad game of "telephone". Not saying anyone is doing it purposely, but the misinformation is rampant. 

Thank you, Craig. This is my understanding as well. The rumour mill has been working overtime to churn word of Testors doom, but I could find no official announcement saying so. just, as you say, the sub-line products are going away. I emailed Testors for clarification, but never received a reply.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:20 AM, kurth said:

MCW, and Scale Finishes  have engine colors. You can also find spray cans of actual engine paint.

https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/search?keywords=engine&sortOption=descend_by_match 

http://www.scalefinishes.com/Engine.html

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP119-Engine-Enamel-Orange/dp/B0028V6SI2

Hope it helps. I know it is not as easy as buying a bottle of model master at the hobby store, but there are plenty of alternatives.

thanks for the info

On 3/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Well that’s good to hear! ... Is the paint pictured below considered a sub-line? If so, what is it’s closest rival? Can’t imagine going without it😬  (It’s Chrome Silver FS12178)

036F0830-10E8-4EB3-A612-AB709D1DB463.jpeg.f47702d3ecbd5dad0a3f10ad6d181f06.jpeg

5 hours ago, Venom said:

Well that’s good to hear! ... Is the paint pictured below considered a sub-line? If so, what is it’s closest rival? Can’t imagine going without it😬  (It’s Chrome Silver FS12178)

Yes, Model Master is a "sub line" and apparently it's going away. But the MM silver is exactly the same stuff that's been available in the Testor little bottles for years, so you should still be able to get it. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yes, Model Master is a "sub line" and apparently it's going away. But the MM silver is exactly the same stuff that's been available in the Testor little bottles for years, so you should still be able to get it. 

Good to know about the "chrome silver".  I had used about a half a bottle and for fear of not being able to get it again, went to HL and got the last one in the rack.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:56 AM, Venom said:

036F0830-10E8-4EB3-A612-AB709D1DB463.jpeg.f47702d3ecbd5dad0a3f10ad6d181f06.jpeg

On 3/12/2021 at 10:57 AM, TransAmMike said:

Good to know about the "chrome silver".  I had used about a half a bottle and for fear of not being able to get it again, went to HL and got the last one in the rack.

I've found Tamiya's Chrome Silver acrylic to be quite nice. If you can get it locally (or definitely by mail-order), Humbrol's Chrome Silver is also a good choice.

Charlie Larkin

8 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I've found Tamiya's Chrome Silver acrylic to be quite nice. If you can get it locally (or definitely by mail-order), Humbrol's Chrome Silver is also a good choice.

Charlie Larkin

It would be interesting to see an actual comparison.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this old thread back. Is there ANYWHERE online that still Sells rattle can testors or Model Master lacquers? If not, is there a company (besides Tamiya) that offers similar metallics at similar prices that testors and MM used to sell in rattle cans? The only thing hobby lobby still Carry’s are the Testors “one coat” and enamels.

I don’t airbrush so all of my bodies are painted from rattle cans. I have good luck with rustoleum $ krylon but they only sell solid colors, not many options for metallic paints. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, kymdlr said:

...I don’t airbrush so all of my bodies are painted from rattle cans. I have good luck with rustoleum $ krylon but they only sell solid colors, not many options for metallic paints. 

Generic auto parts stores usually carry a pretty good selection of Duplicolor rattlecans. The ones labeled "metallic" may have obviously too large flakes, but the ones labeled "pearl" or "mica" are smaller.

This hood was shot with a Duplicolor green mica...

AUG12014Caddy_Challenger_50olds079_zps80fcb570.webp.d4483eedbc00fa49360491599204d139.webp

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This information would appear to be either dated or wrong. I can still find Testors paint at local and national hobby Stores (Hobby Lobby, HobbyTown USA, etc). I can get  online and order them straight from the website. I have even exchanged emails with a company rep looking for bulk quantities of Flat Aircraft Grey (no, they don't do gallon cans of Testors, although she was nice enough to point me at a company that can match the color legally). So, just putting that out there.

Edited by Bakore
Missed a word

12 hours ago, Bakore said:

This information would appear to be either dated or wrong. I can still find Testors paint at local and national hobby Stores (Hobby Lobby, HobbyTown USA, etc). I can get  online and order them straight from the website. I have even exchanged emails with a company rep looking for bulk quantities of Flat Aircraft Grey (no, they don't do gallon cans of Testors, although she was nice enough to point me at a company that can match the color legally). So, just putting that out there.

Yes, this was an overreaction to Testors announcing the discontinuance of the Model Master line.

There is lots of (mis)information out on the Interwebs.  We have to realize this and remember to trust, but verify whether what we read or see online is factual or someone's (incorrect) opinion.

Here, if you actually read past the scary title of this thread you will see posts like this one (also back from 2021).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peteski said:

There is lots of (mis)information out on the Interwebs...Not saying anyone is doing it purposely, but the misinformation is rampant. 

Absolutely correct, but a very large percentage of web users accept the first thing Google vomits up as gospel, or whatever is repeated most often on social or other media.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Absolutely correct, but a very large percentage of web users accept the first thing Google vomits up as gospel, or whatever is repeated most often on social or other media.

My guess is that's because critical-thinking skills are headed the way of the dodo and dinosaurs.

• Like 2