Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Ramp Truck

The kits looks great and I like the fact you get lots of extra parts.

I wonder why they did the dual wheels the way they did?  I've never seen a 5 hand hole steel wheel in a 16".  They are all 4 hand hole if they are 8 lug wheels.  The older 6 lugs had three hand holes.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:37 AM, fairlane1320 said:

Well, I've got 2 warped deck plates and 1 warped hood. Moebius told me they could send me a hood, but they didn't have any deck plates. 

I ended up with a really nice hood.  My deck plate has a subtle bow but not nearly as bad as yours.  My axles are like bananas; they were an easy fix though.  The frame has a weird twist that I haven't had success completely working out yet.  It's kinda like it got T-boned and twisted.  Reminds me a bit of the frames on AMT tractor trailers lol.  Got a beautiful cab though!

22 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Reading about these Q.C. issues make me glad that I didn't order one before I saw how it actually looked.

I picked up 1 this weekend  warped hood , bed sides and warped and broken front of frame

1 hour ago, Jack L said:

I picked up 1 this weekend  warped hood , bed sides and warped and broken front of frame

Dang! That is rough! 

Man, with as much coin as these kits are these days, the Q.C. issues are even less 'acceptable' and are virtually unforgivable. 

I'll keep my duckets until the Q.C. issues are resolved...

A club member brought his to our meeting yesterday, he hasn't even looked at all the parts yet but he brought it to show how warped the deck plate is (side panels are fine). The part is unusable the way/shape it's warped; looks heat damaged and almost shrunken-the plate is also molded so thin so that it might scale nicely but it just exacerbates any sloppy mishandling of the parts after they pop out of the mold. I also saw his frame was a bit warped but it looked like it could be dealt with, I warned him about the hood being potentially warped. He had begun to scratch build one years ago (and his side panels nearly perfectly match the kit's parts) and he was elated this kit was coming out. Now he's not sure what he's going to do to make it right. 

This is really sad as warping has been an issue w/these Ford truck kits since day one, and the way they cram all the parts into too-small boxes just makes it worse. I wanted one of these, but I'll pass at least for now and perhaps Moebius/Model King will better manage the future production end of things. 

Edited by Zoom Zoom
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

This is really sad as warping has been an issue w/these Ford truck kits since day one, and the way they cram all the parts into too-small boxes just makes it worse. I wanted one of these, but I'll pass at least for now and perhaps Moebius/Model King will better manage the future production end of things. 

This is a real Problem, and I hope Moebius jumps on it fast. This kit is too High Profile to let this issue slide for long. I am afraid that many of the buyers for this Ramp Truck are first time Moebius Customers. Not  great way to make a First Impression, or encourage repeat customers. I too have gotten warped parts in one of their kits. Nothing Major (a chrome tree), but not pleasing either.

It looks like much of this first run of kits, did not get the correct QC. That means a "Do-Over" for them, and it will not be easy or cheap, if I understand their Production/Business Model.

ie: The Tool has already had the plastic run and is potentially back in storage, so it has to be dragged out at great expense, and new parts molded. I hope this is not the case. Dave Burkett has to be livid right now!

Would it kill 'em to, I dunno, make the boxes bigger? I can imagine that the ish-shoved contents only hasten the warping. 

this warpage problem reminds me of the Q.C. issues of Monogram kits in c.1986-c.1987, especially the then-new 1986 Monte Carlo SS.

Slow-down production, guys! Make the boxes a little bit deeper and wider. 

Potentially great kits marred by Q.C issues is the quick trip to a vanishing customer base.

• Like 1

Just a guess but based on the bit that I know from injection molding, I would say the parts were popped out while still warm and upon cooling developed the warpage we are seeing. The two deck pieces in my kits that are warped are both thin and flat and if left to cool outside of the mold they would be quick to twist and curl like they did.

I will see about creating a jig and then trying the pot of hot water trick I have used in the past to straighten them out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Got mine yesterday and, at least from a quick glance, I have only some very, very minor warpage on the deck plate.   I guess I was fortunate. 

Same here. I bought two of these kits. One, the decking is warped in two different directions. The other, a very minor wave in one spot. The deck plate is a very thin piece, so probably why. I think with some experienced gluing and clamping, we can bend these to our will. Model on!

• Like 2

I would try and set them out in the hot sun and see if they come back,set them on a roof of a car and keep an eye on them and see if they move at all.It will propably work for the deck plates,might be iffy on the hoods?.Once they get soft it should be easy to "clamp" them into shape,nothing to lose,give it a try. harvey