Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Charger R/T

ModelcarJR

I am taking a somewhat different approach with painting on this one.  I was impressed by the modeler from Taiwan, I think, who posted a video of his painting. He painted, waited 48 hours, sanded out the paint and repeated that method 5 times before he was done. I am taking a similar approach with this one but hopefully only 3 sessions of paint and sanding and then about 3 coats of clear rubbing out between coats. I don't know if this will work but the 68 body is fairly straight except for the coves in the side and hood and its a bagged kit that was inexpensive. It was missing a few parts that I can find in the parts box. The paint is gloss black. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

I am taking a somewhat different approach with painting on this one.  I was impressed by the modeler from Taiwan, I think, who posted a video of his painting. He painted, waited 48 hours, sanded out the paint and repeated that method 5 times before he was done. I am taking a similar approach with this one but hopefully only 3 sessions of paint and sanding and then about 3 coats of clear rubbing out between coats. I don't know if this will work but the 68 body is fairly straight except for the coves in the side and hood and its a bagged kit that was inexpensive. It was missing a few parts that I can find in the parts box. The paint is gloss black. Thanks for looking! 

Really glad to see you here JR!! I remember alot of your builds from over at SA and always liked what you did at the bench. Looking forward to this one old friend. 

Edited by mustang1989

I'm interested in seeing this painting process and I would like to see more. 

Here's a picture of my latest '68 Charger R/T painted with Tamiya TS-54 Light Blue Metallic that I recently finished.  I started this build 4 years ago.

Charger76.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 2

Thanks, all! Nice looking charger, MrMike!  Unfortunately, I ruined the paint and I'll have to start over. But its really hot and humid right now so it might be awhile before I can start over. I've ordered some Tamiya paint so we'll see when I get back to it. 😢

8 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, all! Nice looking charger, MrMike!  Unfortunately, I ruined the paint and I'll have to start over. But its really hot and humid right now so it might be awhile before I can start over. I've ordered some Tamiya paint so we'll see when I get back to it. 😢

John, it’s really hot here also I have stuff to paint but it’s suppose to cool of after the rain.  Next week here looks good. Going to tape some parts down..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Bob and Carl! I appreciate your comments! 

its been awhile but I finally got back to this one and put a few things together. Found some tires and some spacers for inside the wheel to glue to the wheelback and the chrome wheel to keep the tire tight on the wheel. Also assembled the interior. Its missing a couple of pieces in this bagged kit, the grill on back of the console and the interior foot lights on the console but I can live without them. 

I also finally had a opportunity to get some paint on the body despite the weather. I  oranged-peeled the first coats so I was forced to sand it down with some 400 grit seasoned sandpaper and let it sit overnight. The next day I added a another coat and it turned out pretty well. I don't think I can improve on it so I am just going to add a clear coat or two and see what's next. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxvajc28B4rzEtWfgoHxmtsVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629655336

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwkur2jvnaHdUb9KyfMg2Y3Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629655338

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxja63556GC2vVRGzmfrKolKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629655349

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwkcZJDYCqOh2Imy0FLS7KjaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629655383

• Like 1

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! Mike, the paint is Tamiya Black, TS-44 and Clear, TS-13. 

I had a terrible start, having to remove all the paint, but it has finally turned out well. I had planned to paint and rub out the paint several times but it wasn't necessary. Only two coats of paint and one coat of clear. I sanded out the first coat of orange-peeled paint with 400 grit seasoned sand-paper and rubbed it out after the first coat of clear. I decided I can't do any better. I am now in the process of applying the BMF. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzeY-zBFHXoSh8VaQL5pwe4VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629994887

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyEoB_D8zoD8JhzJI6SN5jyrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629994886

• Like 2

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! 

Over the weekend I wired and built the engine, finished the engine compartment, installed the windows and interior, finished the chassis and now its on wheels!  Next, I'll clean up the body a bit, install all the exterior hardware and a few decals and it will be done. I used MrMike's method for the running lights using straight pins and a dab of paint. I was missing the shocks and tie rod and they are still missing but I have enough pieces to keep the wheels on but I am unable to use the poseable front wheels. More later, thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! 

Over the weekend I wired and built the engine, finished the engine compartment, installed the windows and interior, finished the chassis and now its on wheels!  Next, I'll clean up the body a bit, install all the exterior hardware and a few decals and it will be done. I used MrMike's method for the running lights using straight pins and a dab of paint. I was missing the shocks and tie rod and they are still missing but I have enough pieces to keep the wheels on but I am unable to use the poseable front wheels. More later, thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks John!  I hope you like the technique.  BTW, there should be only one ignition wire running along the top of the intake manifold on the passenger side of the engine.  That is for the rear cylinder.  The other three run from the front of the engine.  Just one of the many things I learned from Fury3.

Charger49.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 7:03 PM, ModelcarJR said:

enhance

enhanceNice looking Charger, even being black a difficult color to paint. The technique you’re referring is called flow coating in 1:1 world. Mostly done in low riders and graphics paint jobs when you sand with 800 after 2k clear. Then shot clear again, but 5 times is way too much in my opinion. Although you run the risk of loosing details. In my collection, only got 2 black cars for a reason 

• Like 1