Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plymouth Salt Flat Slammer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Really creative.

I have a question on the Cricut you use .... Can you cut Frisket film to size and run that through the machine to make masks; or do you have to use their products only?

Actually, I have a second question :) - would it be possible to score sheet plastic, if the plastic is too thick to cut, with the Cricut machine?  I'm thinking it could be useful for getting consistently shaped panels to build something like a camper shell.  

Again, really superb work!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:44 AM, Jonathan said:

Really creative.

I have a question on the Cricut you use .... Can you cut Frisket film to size and run that through the machine to make masks; or do you have to use their products only?

Actually, I have a second question :) - would it be possible to score sheet plastic, if the plastic is too thick to cut, with the Cricut machine?  I'm thinking it could be useful for getting consistently shaped panels to build something like a camper shell.  

Again, really superb work!

Thanks buddy!

Yeah, the machine will cut whatever material you put thru it (within reason - no stainless steel 🤪).  I use Oramask 815 masking film but it’ll cut frisket just fine, or even regular masking tape. 

On plastic, yes - it’ll score styrene sheet really easily and also cut right through thinner gauge…I have done that myself on a few projects, but check out some of @Impalow’s builds on his profile to see some really masterful work with one of these machines.  Or, even better, check out this video and the amazing grille and frame he built:

On 3/9/2022 at 6:51 AM, Jonathan said:

So very cool.  That video was well worth watching.  Amazing work!

One more question - do you have the Silhouette Portrait 1, 2, or 3?   

I’ve got the Portrait 2 - but I also had the Cameo 1…seems like they’re all about the same in capability apart from different potential cut sizes…my wife has a Cricut and that works about the same too 👍🏻

On 3/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, BuilderX said:

That's a Salt Bitchen Ride Nice!!!!

Thank you!!!

On 3/10/2022 at 1:15 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Jim, it is very cool, seeing this in print, after watching it come together! Well done, my friend!

Thanks buddy!  Was a nice surprise to open the mag and it was in there!

On 3/10/2022 at 6:00 AM, cobraman said:

Didn't I see this in the latest magazine ?

Yessir!  My lowest-effort least-detailed least-proud-of build of all of last year, and it made the mag 😂🤪

Thanks Bill - and everyone else for the nice words…and thanks to MCM for the feature! That was such a cool surprise!

72D08B4E-EE1F-4A98-BA54-987F86ED7844.thumb.jpeg.dc7dab6ad60c3650eacbb1ed5b508b9c.jpeg

Still wish I’d done a more detailed build if I’d known it was gonna be in a magazine 🤪. Guess I’ll have to build another something-or-other!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Still wish I’d done a more detailed build if I’d known it was gonna be in a magazine 🤪. Guess I’ll have to build another something-or-other!

No need for more details, it is a pure beauty and you fully deserve the article and the special exposure they gave you ! 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! your weathering is top notch! Lord knows ive read enough in scale auto how to do

proper weathering, but you have nailed it. it seems real easy to over do it. i have the same kit, bought it

when it was new and cheap. the name suits the car.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, CabDriver said:

First up, figuring out a replacement for those wheels…
Found these in the parts box - not the style I wanted, but with some Moon disks they’ll work just fine…

D06B67C7-7578-4ACB-B303-B686402F2CF0.thumb.jpeg.a18193c91463e10143702b3e0259698f.jpeg

I love the work but your wheel choice makes me sad. There are a thousand kits with the classic five spoke wheel, but only like two with the 8 spoke Minilite/Watanabe wheel. You used them and then you covered then up. 😒

Other than that, great stuff. Awesome weathering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I love the work but your wheel choice makes me sad. There are a thousand kits with the classic five spoke wheel, but only like two with the 8 spoke Minilite/Watanabe wheel. You used them and then you covered then up. 😒

Other than that, great stuff. Awesome weathering.

Don't worry Rob - they're Moon disks - they pop right off! 😁

(These ones actually DO - I made little tubular receivers on the back of the disks to mount them, and I don't think I even actually glued them on).

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1