Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi's Ferrari 575M. My first build in 11 years.

beeRS

Here's my Ferrari 575 Marenello. It's the first model I've finished in 11 years! Yes - that's right. I never stopped modelling, but I just never seemed to get anything finished... till now! Each project I start ends up going down a rabbit hole of detailing and complexity, and then the inevitable happens. I just lose interest and it goes back in a box for another day. This time, I decided there would be none of that. The only way I've managed to finish this one is by constantly telling myself that "that'll do". No more chasing perfection. If it looks OK, I'll go with it. This model is far from the best thing I've ever done. It's built just for fun, and my aim was; if it ends up being something I don't mind putting on the shelf, well that'll be great. If not, it can stay in a box, but at least I can say I completed something.

So, this is the Fujimi kit. Pretty much a curbside model. It has some nice engravings underneath, but has no engine to display. I still couldn't help modifying it a little. Filling the backs of the hollow seats (a glaringly obvious flaw in this kit) and adding seat belts seemed like the minimum I should do. Then I used metal transfer Ferrari badging from an aftermarket company and got an Accustion photo etch set, but only actually used the brake discs from it. Oh yes, and I opened up the vent hole in the bonnet (hood), as its incorrectly too small in the kit.

The colour is actually an Aston Martin one from Zero paints (I know - it's not a proper Ferrari colour, but lets pretend someone asked Luca di Montezemolo very nicely). I've use Zero's 2K clear with a blue tint to darken it a little. I did not take the time to polish out the finish, and I think this really shows now. Oh well "that'll do". The interior is my mix of colours to achieve Farrari's 'Creme' leather. 

I made the number plates to look like UK ones - white on the front, and yellow at the rear, using an aftermarket sticker supplier from ebay. I won't be using them again as you only get one chance with positioning the numbers. Unlike a decal, which can be fine tuned into position, the sticker have to go in exactly the right spot first time. It's tricky!

Overall, a fun build. I hope you all like it, and will agree that 'that'll do'.

pic_1.jpg.9276dc039ec5ace9aa4cd7adbd9097bc.jpg

pic_2.jpg.b654e13af61d703a1c8f1fde5b7e1f1d.jpg

pic_3.jpg.0e37370b017ddbc9d40ecff807301459.jpg

pic_4.jpg.f433745658ddc8342e4cc80eba7a5f85.jpg

pic_5.jpg.935fb45ce89a575731faecf634c8b68d.jpg

pic_6.jpg.b83981521e954aeac1111677bd236a4e.jpg

The most important thing in this hobby and any other hobby, it must be fun, the minute it becomes a chore, it's no longer a hobby. You certainly did a great job on this, the color choice is as others have said, right on. You certainly overcame all the issues you had and the finish product is tribute to your patience.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:46 AM, kelson said:

The color looks like something Ferrari should've offered!,any real fit issues with this kit?.

No fit issues to report here. It’s a relatively straight forward build. If you build it straight out of the box, the hollow backs to the seats will show in an obvious way. Also, if you start researching the 1:1 car, you’ll see the central grille in the bonnet (hood), is moulded too narrow. 

Very nice! It's a model that I'd certainly be willing to park in my model cabinet. As for the incorrect colour...just don't tell anyone! I love those Fujimi kits, while most have no or minimal engine detail they fit together well and the body-chassis joint is simple and accurate, They are fairly expensive kits and not easily found in most hobby shops but since I've never had serious problems building one I'm always willing to pay the price for one when I see one.