Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cliff's L-79 Nova

restoman

Clifford was a gearhead, born and raised.

He wanted a big-block Corvette, but the paycheque just wouldn't allow it.

When a buddy on the loading dock said his older brother just got a sweet deal on a screaming small-block Nova for under $3000, Cliff listened. First thing Saturday morning, with his pay stubs in hand, he dropped into the local Chevy dealer.

He had to take the salesman with him, but the test drive was all Cliff needed. The salesman, however, needed a change of undergarments when they arrived back at the sales office. Hazards of the job, I guess...?

Right off the lot, this beauty was Cliff's. L-79, four speed, 4.11 posi., SS option... in a sleeper-look light metallic paint.

A couple weekends later, with the addition of some headers, a thorough going-through of the ignition and carburation, an in-depth reworking of the Muncie shift linkage, a set of traction bars and some narrow slicks, Cliffie was regularly knocking off mid 13 second run at the local strip. 

It wasn't the Corvette that he wanted. It was even better. ... And Roscoe the Springer loved the nightly blasts around the cruise circuit. :)

nova 1.jpg

nova 2.jpg

nova 3.jpg

nova 4.jpg

nova 5.jpg

• Like 9

Great build and even better story!

But I need to know what happened. I want to hear more of the story.

Did he keep the car for a long time or did he trade it in for a Chevelle a few years later? Did he become hooked on drag racing and go pro? Did the car get wrecked and get parted out through an ad in the PennySaver?

Beautiful looking build of what had to be the sleeper of the year. I like how you kept very close to the showroom appearance. The store reminds me of someone, kind of a friend of a friend type deal.  He bought just such a Nova in the Turquoise Mt. color of that year. Same drive line as your build, and it was very fast compared to most of the other factory muscle cars of the day. 

17 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Great build and even better story!

But I need to know what happened. I want to hear more of the story.

Did he keep the car for a long time or did he trade it in for a Chevelle a few years later? Did he become hooked on drag racing and go pro? Did the car get wrecked and get parted out through an ad in the PennySaver?

Well, I'd like to think that Cliff still has the Nova, and still runs it on nice weekends, accompanied by his grandson Billy. ;)

4 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build of what had to be the sleeper of the year. I like how you kept very close to the showroom appearance. The store reminds me of someone, kind of a friend of a friend type deal.  He bought just such a Nova in the Turquoise Mt. color of that year. Same drive line as your build, and it was very fast compared to most of the other factory muscle cars of the day. 

A guy I worked for around '85/'86 told me quite often that he had a 350 horse 327 in the late sixties. He dealt it on a new '70 W-30 4-4-2.

As much as he loved the Olds power, he said he thought the L-79 would destroy it off the line. No small feat... the 455 ran through an awfulmatic and 4.10s. He still had the Olds when I worked for him, but it was something he never let me drive. I can't blame him... ;)