Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just finished my first diorama! Asbury, NJ streets!

GlueSniffer

22 hours ago, Repstock said:

I was hoping to do something similar. I've been building things, but I may never have the room to actually build a diorama. Your has been very inspirational. It looks very natural.

DSCN1572[1].JPG

I’m currently building a store front / apartments similar to what you have built here! You can see the beginnings of it in the last photo. Yours looks great! What did you use for the bricks?? That it what I struggle with the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlueSniffer said:

I’m currently building a store front / apartments similar to what you have built here! You can see the beginnings of it in the last photo. Yours looks great! What did you use for the bricks?? That it what I struggle with the most.

The same as you, only smooth brick. I do have a sheet of styrene bricks that are much sharper and have greater relief. I'm hoping to have the sheet cast for future use(es).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Repstock said:

The same as you, only smooth brick. I do have a sheet of styrene bricks that are much sharper and have greater relief. I'm hoping to have the sheet cast for future use(es).

I am using the smooth bricks from Plastruct on my building as well. You did a fantastic job with the corners and seams! Maybe I just need more practice with it unless you have any tips? Corners are what I am dreading 

8 hours ago, GlueSniffer said:

I am using the smooth bricks from Plastruct on my building as well. You did a fantastic job with the corners and seams! Maybe I just need more practice with it unless you have any tips? Corners are what I am dreading 

I fill the corners just like any other model...fill, sand, paint. Next time I hope the paint matches better. Your painting skills seem quite advanced, I'm sure your end result will be better than mine.

• Like 1

Quite an excellent backdrop diorama. Lot's of subtle detail that doesn't overwhelm the subject.

It's rich without being busy or distracting.

I especially like the weathering of the utility pole and the window fill-ins. Great visual character items.

David G.

• Like 1

This is absolutely one of the best dioramas I’ve seen yet! The weathering and aging are spot on. All the little details like cigarette butts and gum finish it off just right. As others have said, it’s just an everyday spot no one notices. Also, that’s one sharp little hot rod! 

• Like 1

Very impressive, especially for the short amount of time that you spent on it.  You obviously have an eye for detail.

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but your work reminds me very much of both Repstock's (Tom), as well as Ken Hamilton's,which is high praise:

https://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/playland_penny_arcade/page19.html

https://www.kenhamilton-miniatureconstruction.com/gallery

Please keep us updated on your new project.

P.S.  Nice work also on the A roadster.  From which kit did you source the hemi?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 10:54 PM, Street Rod said:

This is absolutely one of the best dioramas I’ve seen yet! The weathering and aging are spot on. All the little details like cigarette butts and gum finish it off just right. As others have said, it’s just an everyday spot no one notices. Also, that’s one sharp little hot rod! 

I am very flattered! Thank you! 😀

On 2/10/2023 at 11:26 PM, Robberbaron said:

Very impressive, especially for the short amount of time that you spent on it.  You obviously have an eye for detail.

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but your work reminds me very much of both Repstock's (Tom), as well as Ken Hamilton's,which is high praise:

https://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/playland_penny_arcade/page19.html

https://www.kenhamilton-miniatureconstruction.com/gallery

Please keep us updated on your new project.

P.S.  Nice work also on the A roadster.  From which kit did you source the hemi?

I was not familiar with their work but I certainly enjoyed looking at the photos! And I do take that as very high praise! Thank you! I had taken a lot of my inspiration from 2 guys I follow on Instagram for a few years now, Ryan Monahan (@what_thehell) and Joshua Smith (@joshua_smith_street_artist) as I am really new to miniature making and scale modeling, I don’t know a ton of the more known guys that do it well yet aside from them and a few that I have found branching from their circle.

I had been out of the country for a few weeks but I’m back now and going to hit the next project with full force. While I was gone a massive stock pile of Plastruct bricks, stone wall, slate, and cobble stone had arrived! About $250 worth! There seemed to have been a supply issue with the smooth brick around the start of the project, but I have a good stock pile now!

The Hemi came from a Moebius 1955 Chrysler 300 that I cut the trans off and attached to the box stock Chevy trans. Air filters (although poorly fitting) came from the Lindburg Color Me Gone 1964 Dodge 330 SS, alternator from Monogram 1971 Plymouth Road Runner. But now that I can 3D model and print, I won’t be sacrificing old kits anymore!

I remember that place well. Saw The Smithereens there back in the late 80s. Then years later when my friends were still in the Philly band Marah, The Boss himself had a private party there with them. they all played on stage. My friend (who played bass) has the picture of him and Springsteen singing into the mic. hanging in his kitchen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is very nicely-done. That manhole cover.....wow. I didn't see it addressed anywhere, 3-D print or carved? Either way, fantastic little detail.

I hope you consider bringing it to NNL-East, as you're not too far away. I think this will be well-received.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...

I can´t find words to describe my praise that the others here haven´t used yet. Just beautiful! I have always wanted to start a project like that and now I know much better how to do it. But you have raised the bar very high! Thanks for sharing the step to step pics!

• 1 month later...