Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renwal Peirce Arrow Concept by Virgli Exner

Scott Colmer

This Pierce Arrow is a concept car designed by famed auto designer Virgil Exner who is responsible for the big fins and pod headlights of the 50's and 60's. Back in the early 60's, Virgil did a series of concept designs updating classic cars of the 30's for Esquire magazine. Renwal model cars molded the designs and Virgil added at least one more design that was not featured in Esquire magazine. One of the new designs was the Pierce Arrow. Virgil's Pierce Arrow redesign was based on a specialty luxury supercar from the 1933. The Pierce Arrow produced by Pierce, featured a slope back, periscope rear window, and a powerful V12 that could propel the streamlined beauty to over 110 mph. Virgil used many of the styling cues from the 1933 version on his redesign, but added a lot of midcentury modern flare.

These Renwal kits are expensive. I got mine cheap because the grill and front bumper were missing and had to be scratchbuilt. The scratchbuilding continued from there.

The inspirations for Exner's design

3piercearrowsilverarrowprofile-vi.jpg

This is the kit as received from eBay. Note the red body on the box art. It hard to see how simple it is.  I'm thinking a luxury car needs a more classic paint scheme. Why not follow to original design

IMG_1920-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilt grill.

DSCN3016-vi.jpg

Full boat blown V12. 

DSCN3358-vi.jpg

Fully detailed interior. That center console is a work of art. Exner design for sure.

DSCN3439-vi.jpg

The once sparse engine compartment is now filled up with an IFS from a Cobra and lots of scratchbuilt parts.

DSCN3574-vi.jpg

All done.

DSCN3622-vi.jpg

DSCN3629-vi.jpg

DSCN3637copy-vi.jpg

DSCN3619-vi.jpg

DSCN3642-vi.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the great feedback on this one! I appreciate it!

This type of build (adding stuff to an unique subject)  is right in my wheelhouse, so when other people enjoy these projects too, that puts a lot of icing on the cake.   : )

I have seen other upgraded Exner concepts out there. I look forward to seeing those too.

Scott

On 1/29/2023 at 1:23 PM, Lucius Molchany said:

don't know if the tooling even exists anymore,making it very rare indeed!

If it does (and it just may) Atlantis will have it. Scott's build was featured of 3 consecutive issues of Model Cars magazine (211-213, I want to say?) And it's very inspirational reading. This is a seriously amazing build.