Model Cars Magazine Forum

RIVIERA ROYALE: a heavily customized coachbuilt 1966 Buick Riviera

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

The 60's saw the peak of Bill Mitchell and Wayne Kady "blade design" in the 66 Riviera, 66 Toronado and, of course, Caddy Eldorado. The term came from those long, sharp and pointy flanks, projecting fore and aft, grafted to wonderfully sculpted central section. Long, low and wide was the mantra! Of those, the 66 Riviera struck me as the most nuanced and balanced. But it doesn't mean you can't go extreme about it...

So: two AMT 66 Rivs, sliced mid-flanks, sectionned, with upper sides mirrored at the bottom, totally enclosed wheels, with a opened roof, flush-fit taillight, injected nailhead engine, and totally scratchbuilt interior, but for the dash. Of course, lotsa planning went into making it fit, and with a ground-scraping stance. Tamya's Champagne Gold and AK's Off-white interior. Fully polished. 

Hours of fun with styrene! 

CT 

DSC01651 (2).JPG

DSC01655 (2).JPG

DSC01656 (2).JPG

DSC01657 (2).JPG

DSC01659 (2).JPG

DSC01661 (2).JPG

DSC01664 (2).JPG

DSC01667 (2).JPG

DSC01668 (2).JPG

DSC01669 (3).JPG

DSC01670 (2).JPG

DSC01671 (2).JPG

DSC01675 (2).JPG

DSC01676 (2).JPG

• Like 20

Major plastic surgery so smoothly done you wouldn't know that that isn't the way Buick designed it. Like the way the open roof shows the interior that is also done so well. Takes a while to look at all the details on the interior, but the more you look the more you see. The chassis and looks great compared to what this kit provides in that area. 

referring to a plastic surgery procedure on a vehicle (likely a car) that was performed so well that the modifications are not noticeable and appear to be part of the original design by the manufacturer. The open roof allows for a clear view of the interior, which is also well done, with many details to admire. The chassis of the vehicle is also improved, and the kit used for the procedure has significantly improved its appearance.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Major plastic surgery so smoothly done you wouldn't know that that isn't the way Buick designed it. Like the way the open roof shows the interior that is also done so well. Takes a while to look at all the details on the interior, but the more you look the more you see. The chassis and looks great compared to what this kit provides in that area. 

Hi David!

Thanks for the compliments. To your point: this kit is the "newer version", which is immensely superior to the original "yearly kit" that was offered when the car came out, in the 60's. Having built that one back then, I can appreciate the quality of the current offering. Made my job easier, since the frame and floorpan are separete items. 

CT

5 hours ago, JessicaMartin said:

referring to a plastic surgery procedure on a vehicle (likely a car) that was performed so well that the modifications are not noticeable and appear to be part of the original design by the manufacturer. The open roof allows for a clear view of the interior, which is also well done, with many details to admire. The chassis of the vehicle is also improved, and the kit used for the procedure has significantly improved its appearance.

Hi Jessica!

Thank you for the comments. I never tought of the analogy with plastic surgery, but I'm flattered.

The famous Chip Foose once said that success in customizing is when the onlooker senses that something has been done, but can't just nail it at first glance. Well, with that matrix, I think I went overboard! LOL. 

CT

What a fascinating creation Claude! This beautifully concept model cause the following thoughts for me: 1) if Bill Mitchell had commissioned his design crew to build him a lead sled to cruise the Dairy Queen’s of suburban Detroit in the evenings when he wasn’t out street racing his Mako Shark, this would be the car, 2) I love the open roof but my mind kept filling it in with a smoked glass roof - did you happen to consider this option when you were building this Riviera ? 3) This model made me flashback on a distant childhood memory, the “Fisher Body Craftsman Guild” car styling competitions when school age kids (mostly boys if I recall) were encouraged to submit a 1/12 scale clay model of a futuristic design for a crack at a GM scholarship to become an auto stylist. Anyone else remember those presentations at high school assemblies????

Another fantastic model Claude! You are one of the most artistic creative model builders posting on this forum. Bravo!

Edited by papajohn97
Grammer