Model Cars Magazine Forum

A tale of two Wildcats

Modlbldr

SamIAm and I decided back in July to each build a Buick Wildcat in our own style and then send our build to the other to keep in our collection. I started with a bagged rebuilder with a bit of damage and missing parts. What I thought was a 66 Wildcat ended up being a 65 and the parts I got for it were from a 66.

Sam started with a complete kit but due to paint issues ended up getting a new body. 

My build- The blue one:

I was going for a 60's concept/ show car so I tried to make the styling look a bit more advanced and futuristic. I modified the custom front grill and rear bumper/taillights to get them to fit the older body. I combined parts from three different hoods and molded in a full length trunk vent from the custom parts of the 66 Mercury (I believe). For the interior I installed 4 bucket seats and a "floating" dash and gauge pod. Paint was a Rustoleum light blue and a white top. Then a coat of Testors White Lightning over all.

Sam's build- The white and Maroon one:

Sam went more with a stock body but added the custom wheels from the kit (we both liked that option) with some knock offs. Sam stretched his bounds by adding a vinyl roof using masking tape and a styrene trim border. 

Sam painted his with a beautiful two tone cream body and maroon top. I really like the added maroon rocker panel paint and two tone interior. It really ties the build together.

Sam mailed me his build, which I received today. Before I mail mine to him I figured it was a perfect opportunity to do a photo shoot with both of them.

Now Sam can chime in with the real tale of these two Wildcats.

Later-

20230303_184124.jpg

20230303_184157.jpg

20230303_184927.jpg

20230303_184238.jpg

20230303_184244.jpg

20230303_184331.jpg

20230303_184502.jpg

20230303_184534.jpg

20230303_184917.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steve! Much appreciated. I don't know how fun it was for Sam but, although they didn't always go smoothly I enjoyed seeing them progress. I know Sam suggested I was a masochist when I asked him what our next build off subject would be.

Later-

That we did !   

The other thing that made it so fun is something we started doing...oh, about a year and a half now, and that is sitting down at the bench together....with a little....ok....a LOT of help from Zoom. We do it as often as life allows, but it is worth every minute. Tom also has been very patient with me and nudging me across the finish line.

He mentioned that the first body had a mishap. Well, my first time ever attempting a vinyl top and it came out so nice, the paint was perfect...and then I clear coated it. I masked the top off before clear coating so it would have that slightly dulled sheen. My clear coat decided it didn't want to play nice and had a milky look on the edges and tiny little bubbles along the edges. Then the paint wouldn't come off when I put it in the pond, and by then I was really discouraged. So I started over.  This one turned out pretty good and no clear coat issues. As mentioned, I went with what I call the cruiser look. Nice and simple recipe that never goes out of style. Lower it, make sure the wheels make the car,  and drive it! 

One interesting thing I learned about AMT. I did my research and when it came to the interior, it didn't match the full size '66 Wildcat interior.  On the other hand, the pictures I found of a 1965 Wildcat were a perfect match. So AMT either didn't think anyone would notice, or when it was re-issued the molds turned out damaged and somebody said "hey, the 65 interior fits perfectly so let's go with that". Good thing is, if you have a hard to find '65 Wildcat model and you need an interior, well there you go.

Tom, we can discuss the next one when we zoom on Sunday....you masochist.  😃 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! Sam and I got together on Zoom last night and hashed out our next Buddy build. We figured since the Wildcats are a year different then the next builds should be a year different. Mine is the Revell 66 Pontiac GTO and Sam's is the AMT 67 GTO. Now to get Sam's Wildcat boxed up and mailed to him.

Later-

1 hour ago, Brian1973 said:

I really like the idea of building the cars for each other that is cool. As for the builds both are very sharp I like the colors yall used and the use of the custom parts very nice. Good work guys I enjoy looking at your work.

Thank you Brian! Much appreciated.

Later-