Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building more than one kit at a time.

As I read more and more posts, I see that a lot of you build more than one kit at a time.

I have more kits in my stash than I would like to have. And I want to build more than 3 or 4 kits per year. So I wanted to explore building more than one kit at a time.

What is your process for building multiple kits at the same time?

Do you have all the parts for all the kits out on your workbench? Or do you pack them up and unpack as you switch kits?

Usually I’ll have anywhere from 3 to 6 going at any one time.  But only one or two will be my main focus.  The rest are just something to do while paint or glue is drying.

As you can imagine, it could get a little unorganized.  To avoid that, I’ll put as much of the kit back in the box as I can.

One example- yesterday I wanted to paint the engine on the Pinto I’m working on ( my current main focus).  So I pulled together half a dozen engines from different kits that all get the same color treatment.  Shot them all at the same time.  Everything else was put back in boxes until I need it.

It’s common for me to hit a stopping point and not be able to progress further for the day on one thing.  Back in the box it goes and I’ll pull something else out to work on.  

All that being said, I’m notorious for not taking projects to completion…

Unpack and pack, usually back into the original box. And it could be the last will be completed before the first ( or not) depending on interest level at any given time for what is taking place. Or I may put a little 1/32 curb side together in the midst of it all, paint and all.

6 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Usually I’ll have anywhere from 3 to 6 going at any one time...

It’s common for me to hit a stopping point and not be able to progress further for the day on one thing.  Back in the box it goes and I’ll pull something else out to work on.  

All that being said, I’m notorious for not taking projects to completion…

3 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Unpack and pack, usually back into the original box. And it could be the last will be completed before the first ( or not) depending on interest level at any given time for what is taking place...

Exactly.   :D

Having a really bad case of ADD helps, I have projects that I started over a year ago and not finished. I have some projects that I get an idea for, will add parts to the box and write the main theme on the outside of the box on painters tape. I go back and forth between projects depending on my mood or interest at the time. 

Putting all the parts back in the original box is one of the best ways to keep everything organized. However, some times 2 or more kits will be on the bench at a time. 

For me, my winters are very cold and I don't have an indoor paint booth. So, I build during the winter, paint and finish in the spring/summer. 

Other interests, hobbies, time, etc. all play a factor. 

I can be done, and I bet most here have at least 2 or more going at a time. Its just the nature of the hobby. 

Oh, and I was thinking my stash was getting big at 150+ kits, then I browsed a thread where guys here have 1000-5000+ kits. I don't feel to bad now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm guilty as well.... to me it seems that there is either a sub assembly waiting to dry, or paint waiting to dry, so I dabble in another kit and do small sub assemblies, but so as not to lose anything, I always put cut cleaned parts or sub assemblies in zip lock bags in the kit box, then I know the parts won't get lost and if a part breaks off it is still in the bag and not in the firm grip of the carpet monster.... but I always have a bunch of kits on the go...

• Like 1

I only have four going at one time and really no system.  In fact I just recently got parts mixed up and had to dig through all my started kits to find parts for one that I didn't put back in the correct box.

• Like 1

I have only been working on 1 kit at a time until it is done. But at a rate of 3-4 kits a year, I have a life time of models in the basement. But there are so many more models I would like to build. So I am thinking about taking on more than one kit at a time.

• Like 1

I like to have two going at a time so there'll almost always be something to do...there's always a time when paint or glue is drying on one or the other. I bought these stacking plastic trays on Amazon and I love them. I use two of the larger ones for each kit. Parts that are painted and ready for assembling go in the top tray, parts not ready to be used yet in the bottom. Also, very small parts that are most likely to get lost are kept in a small glass paint jar...that's saved me a lot of headaches.

20230309_135609.jpg.68558f0645babcdd07839b3a919c2ccc.jpg

20230309_135616.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

I have only been working on 1 kit at a time until it is done. But at a rate of 3-4 kits a year, I have a life time of models in the basement. But there are so many more models I would like to build. So I am thinking about taking on more than one kit at a time.

It’s not a race.

No penalties for only finishing 3 or 4 per year.

I prefer to concentrate on one at a time, and do it to the best of my ability.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll never get to build everything that I would like to, and there are new kits popping up all of the time.

I view every build as if it might be my last, because after all.....it could be.

Steve

• Like 2

I usually keep two or three kits going at one time so I can keep working while paint or glue is drying. Be careful though, I got in a bad habit of working on a ton of kits but never finishing anything. Now when I go back to that work it's usually not up to my current standards so I either have to start over or buy another kit. Now when I start a kit I try to make sure I finish it and not stick it back on the shelf. 

I used to have several going at once and it got too confusing.  Now I strictly limit to 3 at a time, that seems to be the number I can comfortably manage.  Its nice to have something else to work on while paint or glue is drying.  I try to do some work every day but there are times when I can go a week or more without touching anything.

• Like 1

I have multiple kits started and each is at a different stage of completion. This is okay with me because the most important thing is to continue enjoying the hobby for myself. Ten different model builders will most likely have ten different ways by which each enjoys the build process. Build for yourself and start as many builds as appeals to you at any given time. Above all else, have a good time at the model workbench. 🙂

Joe

• Like 2

I have been doing multiple builds over a number of years. I will work on one semi build with various levels of concentration, one or two complicated/highly modified builds and what I call batch builds. The batch builds are 4-5 kits of similar subject. Since I am a "Day Two" muscle car fan, I will mix and match parts between them to get a unique color/options package for each. It improves my overall efficiency for the limited time I have to work on them. Since I generally use enamels, I have plenty of tasks at hand while the paint cures.

I have done a batch of Challengers, two batches of Chevelles, a batch of Mustangs and am currently working on a batch of mid 60's Pontiacs. When I bump into a problem for one, I can implement the solution for all of them as needed. I very rarely get frustrated and shelve a kit in progress. I get around 4-7 builds done a year within a year or two. This method makes my painting days much more productive and does not take away as much motivation whenever I have a paint failure. I always have the other builds to help me get over it. Sometimes I have one straggler but it too eventually makes it a cross the finish line

Four Dodge Challengers preassembly.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

Paint day cropped.JPG

Brown chevelle in paint.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

E-body rainbow.jpg

I can't do what Bill does, don't have the space!  I also can't divide attention, I have to focus on one project.  So when I come to an impasse, or get bored with the project, it gets tossed into one or two boxes.  I have on rare occasions, done two at a time, especially during the painting stage.  But as a rule, one at a time, while the shelf of doom gets more packed.

I generally concentrate on whatever captures my attention. I have a few projects above the bench that I started working on, before I was "got" by the "one". That one, currently, is my nostalgia fueler. Once I've found the right project, there's always plenty to keep me busy and interested!

• Like 1

Depending on your own personal level of concentration. Some can do a few kits at one time without getting distracted from any of them. I have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time so I'm in the one at a time camp. You might want to try a few of the above suggestions for building and see what works for you. 

This is all great input.

I am kind of looking into this because my stash has grown to the point where I will need to build more than one kit at a time if I want to build them all. And I think that is the wrong way to be motivated to build more than one kit at a time.

Having said that, I do like the batch building option. I have a few sets of similar cars and I could increase effeciency by grouping them together. Maybe not building them at the same time, but I could prep and paint them at the same time while the colors are out. Have them ready to build later.

So, I might start trying this a little bit, to help with effeciency. But I need to make sure I don't feel like I have to do it to complete kits faster.

10 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

...But I need to make sure I don't feel like I have to do it to complete kits faster.

I agree. Once you start putting time pressure on something that's done as a hobby for relaxation, it becomes "work", at least in my mind.  :D

But I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from guys who finish a lot of models, and I rarely finish anything but subassemblies, or specific modifications.

Even so, I enjoy my bench time enormously.

So it all comes down to what you get the most pleasure from. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 5