Model Cars Magazine Forum

MUSTANG XP-R : a 71 fastback pro-touring concept with a REAR ENGINE

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

I must admit that the 71/73 Mustang was my least favorite model: too long, too heavy, squarish... Well, why not try to build something different as a design challenge? 

In the 60's, Ford experimented with the rear engine MACH 2 concept, even with a rear-engined  70 Boss 429 Mustang...

So, the AMT kit (not their best ever!) received a shave and a smoothing job, a recessed mesh grille, bust mostly, a custom chassis made-up of two (2) Johan 70 Eldorado front halves, joined at the center, moving the Ford BB (with Eldo's Latham supercharger)to the rear, using the Cad FWD axle. Two-seat cabin, and scratchbuilt interior, rear bulkhead, front "trunk", hinged hood and louvers, exhaust, etc. Rolling stock from Revell's 2014 Snap Corvette. Tamya fine metallic silver + Mr. Hobby topcoat. BMF & Molotow accents. 

Hours if fun with styrene!

CT 

DSC01689 (2).JPG

DSC01683 (2).JPG

DSC01682 (2).JPG

DSC01687 (2).JPG

DSC01685 (2).JPG

DSC01684 (2).JPG

DSC01681 (2).JPG

DSC01680 (2).JPG

DSC01678 (2).JPG

DSC01690 (2).JPG

• Like 16

Extensive reengineering of the entire kit. The chassis looks very believable as does the engine. Great looking paint work and the interior. Ford could have sold far more of these instead of the pedestrian model of the GT40 that they offered at one time. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

Extensive reengineering of the entire kit. The chassis looks very believable as does the engine. Great looking paint work and the interior. Ford could have sold far more of these instead of the pedestrian model of the GT40 that they offered at one time. 

Hi David!

Thank you. I think it would be fairly easy to duplicate in 1/1. Someday...

CT

On 3/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, happy grumpy said:

Another beautiful demonstration of your design skills and craftsmanship. I agree with you on this generation of mustang not being your favorite. 66 to 69 does it for me.

Impeccable travail Claude.

Salut Mario!

Thank you for the kind words. Hope we'll meet at the RAM expo on april 2nd. 

CT