Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cortina GT 2 door 1964 ATCC Champion

Hi guys,

This is part 2 of a 2 Cortina build. Here is the first.

This is the car that Ian Geoghegan won the 1964 Australian Touring Car Championship with. It's from the Lotus Cortina kit from The Motor Museum in miniature in the UK. Interior door panels, dashboard, seats, arm rests, window cranks, interior door handles, steering wheel, gear stick, floor mat, exterior door handles, exterior mirror, grille, tail light surrounds, leaf springs, control arms, bumpers, rear brake drums, the front brake ducts and the tach gauge are all 3D drawn and printed by me. The wheels and diff are from Tamiya's Lotus 7 kit. Paint is Tamiya TS-14 Black with Tamiya bright red for the interior and the decals are from Custom hobby decals.  This car has a different interior than the 1963 4 door version as well as wider tyres, a side exhaust and big brake ducts under the front.

CWNNEz.jpg

lYz8RB.jpg

lM2QXq.jpg

jAZJZV.jpg

7PKs4M.jpg

sDmq5H.jpg

Odi3Lx.jpg

S7AY1W.jpg

fDtqkx.jpg

fPBiqU.jpg

orDgfH.jpg

ybwq8Z.jpg

These are two models that I have always wanted to do and I am very happy with the end result.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

ShawnS

Edited by ShawnS
  • Like 10

Beautiful looking finishes on both builds. The black car looks just like the picture and the red Interior looks almost too nice to be in a race car.  These were offered here as well, but most dealers had the basic car in stock. I do remember one Ford dealer that had the Lotus kit on it. The only ones I ever remember seeing were all white with a Lotus shade of green in the side moldings and around the taillight area. 

20 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Really nice work Shawn !

So no more completely scratch built for you huh..now you can 3D print what ever you need..lol

Perfect

Cheers

Ha, completely scratchbuilt items are still a option as there are things that my basic 3D design program and 3D drawing skills aren't capable of. The printer is good for doing parts that I don't have the patience to mess around with. I definitely don't intend on printing everything.

15 hours ago, espo said:

The black car looks just like the picture and the red Interior looks almost too nice to be in a race car.

I know what you mean about the interior but happily the real car was a brand new car delivered to the team by Ford so the interior would have been brand spankin' new as well.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...