Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 1966 Le Mans winner

After building the Chaparral 2D which qualified 2nd at Daytona in 66 and won at the Ring the same year, I got thinking how special a year 1966 was for sports car racing. The lovely Chaparral had big potential but could not keep up with the mighty Ford empire. First slide is a nod to that: Chappy with the mighty nemesis.

1966 was special in many other ways. It was the start of the end for dominant Ferrari in sports car racing, despite showing up with the 330 P3, a 420 HP, 1600 pound missile. It did win at Spa but the story was all about Daytona and Le Mans where Ford established it's dominance with the heavy but extra potent 7 liter GT40 MkII.

The other big story was the ascension of Porsche with it's amazing 906 (or Carrera 6). Winner at Le Mans in the P2.0 category and taking P4 to P7 in overall classifications. Signs of things to come.

So this build is OOB Fujimi. Not a bad kit but can't say I liked it that much. It has a few issues but it is not a difficult build

Kit decals, Vallejo primer, Vallejo Model Color, Tamiya X22 clear and Holloway House Quick Shine seal coat over decals. Quick Shine was an experiment as a replacement for Future/Pledge Floor Care which is no longer produced. Quick Shine works well on the body but not on the glass parts due to low adhesion.

All finishes brush painted. Polishing steps after primer and Tamiya X22 layers

GT40 1.jpg

GT40 2.jpg

GT40 3.jpg

GT40 4.jpg

GT40 5.jpg

GT40 6.jpg

GT40 7.jpg

GT40 8.jpg

GT40 9.jpg

GT40 10.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, cobraman said:

Great looking model of a great looking car. 

Thanks Ray, my first GT40. Look forward to your 1/8 Cobra w.i.p.

21 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Ford.  Really well done.

Thank you sir!

21 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

A beautiful build Pierre. The ford gt has always been one of my all time favorite car. Looks good in any color but the all black makes it even more aggressive.

I agree Mario. Compared to the sexy 330 P3 the GT40 looks more like the in your face aggressor that it was and black suits it well.

21 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

A stunning build of an iconic car Pierre! I still can't fathom how you achieve these paint jobs with a brush, especially on a black car... 😲

Thanks Mathias. My first black car and I was sweating bullets. Not a top notch paint job but I'm happy with it.

20 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Very nice build.  Hard to believe this kit came out over thirty years ago.  It’s still the most accurate body and I sure wish Fujumi had made a Mark IV even if it was a curbside kit.

Thanks Rex. The body is very good and the PE back piece gives it a premium look. I too wish Fujimi had done the Mark IV. Only option appears to be the old 1/25 MPC kit.

7 hours ago, TooOld said:

Another winner Pierre , an absolute beauty !  As a kid growing up in S. California in the 60's I was a big fan of all these cars .

Thanks Bob. California in the sixties...sports & racing car paradise!

7 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Very well done build as we have come to expect.

Thanks Gary. Look forward to see more of your J1 build.

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Another racing beauty from your capable hands... well done!

Thank you sir!

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

A beauty from you Pierre...and a winner too.  Your skills with a brush are a source of amazement to me.  I have built most of the variations of this kit and its one of my favorites.  And thank you for the background information...always appreciated.

Thanks Rich. Looks like I'm stuck in 66 with successive builds from that year. Definitely need to do a 330 P3 and Porsche 906 to complete the set.

4 hours ago, bbowser said:

Brush painted black, you sir are an artist!

Thanks Bruce. No choice to brush living in a condo and building in winter time. Took time to develop the method. Gotta say black tested my limits.

1 hour ago, jjsipes said:

Looks amazing. I've got the MENG kit in my stash but, I will be building the Ken Miles version though. Like others have said, can't believe this is brush painted!

Hope you'll post progress on that Meng. When I do another Mark II I'd want to thy that kit.

9 minutes ago, Smilesperhour said:

Another beauty!!!

Thank you James. Have you tried the brush painting technique we discussed?

2 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

You did it again, Pierre ! Excellent model which puts mine to shame (needs a heava rework). Superb paint and decal work - as always - and perfect wheels and tires !

Thank you Helmut. I always enjoy your builds as we tend to like the same cars. Still thinking about the beautiful GTO you posted recently.

I forgot to mention the wheels & tires are the only deviation from a strictly OOB. The Good Year decals are an add from Indycal and the spinners are Ferrari pieces ( I had stolen the GT40 pieces for another project)

On 4/6/2023 at 4:34 PM, Belugawrx said:

Beautiful! 

Well done Sir, the results you get with a brush are outstanding👍👍

Thanks Bruce. First time a black car and happy with the results. I have a silver 904 GTS on deck but I don't know if I can do a good silver brush job. Time for experiments to start.

16 hours ago, Dave B said:

Looks great Pierre, tks for posting

Dave B

Thank you sir. How is the red Mustang coming along?

15 hours ago, sflam123 said:

Just beautiful!  Great work on a classic!

Thank you Stephen. Indeed a classic and it was time I build one of these.

11 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

11 hours ago, afx said:

Great work as usual Pierre.  I built this car several years back and just polished out the black plastic.

Thanks JC. That's a neat idea if the body is good and requires only cleanup and no putty. The body on mine was white.

8 hours ago, TonyK said:

Really enjoy looking at this model of yours! The brush painting is amazing.

Thanks Tony. Really happy I found a way to brush paint, it allows me to participate in this great hobby.

Wow, Pierre. Another superb build with excellent brush painted black finish which is not easy to do no matter how it is applied. You definitely have the process down and I will continue to try and get it right. I think the key is in polishing the primer and clear only. Thanks for posting this most enjoyable build to view. Somehow I missed the w.i.p. if there was one.