Model Cars Magazine Forum

No talk about the Round2 1971 Dodge Demon ?

gtx6970

On 4/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, Can-Con said:

I for one am happy with the original design of the kit over the newer style 100 peice chassis that will never be seen on my model. I already built one of the full detail Dusters and didn't really have any fun building it ,,  but that's just me. I understand that there are many model builder who crave the full building experience.

When I crave the "full building experience" , I go out and tinker with the full size one in the garage. 

Same here.

I dont do contests, and my builds go in my glass display case once done. So a super detailed chassis I have zero need for.

Im just happy to see this kit back on the shelves 

• Like 1

The fact is: the chassis in MPC’s Dusters, Demons and Dart Sports was the best A Body chassis available until AMT’s Duster and Revell’s Dart Swinger came out. I have tried cramming these into MPC ‘69 Cudas, for instance. 

I think for what it is, it still holds up pretty well, and judging by the pics online of the Demon, it looks like Round 2 has made some improvements to the engine room, the exhausts, and the edges where it fills out to the body. 

The only thing I would do as a builder would be to add lower control arm and sway bar detail to the front suspension. 

My only real beef is with the engine. It’s way underscale. It’s probably too late in the game for Round 2 to consider it now, but if they came up with a really, really nice stock Chrysler Small Block, they could keep it on one tree, offer it with the builder’s choice of either a ‘68-‘71 Carter AVS or ‘72-up Thermoquad carb, and a few air cleaner and exhaust manifold options, and throw it into any future Dart Sports or Little Red Express kits they do. For that matter, they could offer two in a parts pack and sell as many as they can mold, because if they did a nice one, I would buy a bunch of them, and I think other builders would, too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Though there wasn’t a kit, pretty sure there was a ‘70 convertible promo.   I do have a resin ‘70 R/T convertible body I got maybe 15 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

There were no '70 Coronet promos, hardtop or convertible. 

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

My only real beef [ with the MPC Duster-Demon-Dart Sport kits ] is with the engine. It’s way underscale.

It looks like a 3.9 litre / 239 cube V6 , IMO. But, ne'er-the-less, the 340 from the AMT 1971 Duster 340 is an easy swap. 

I agree that it would be nice if Round2 were to create a separate 727 Torqueflite to mate to the AMT 340. That was done with the 1964 Olds 4-4-2 hardtop (in that instance, a 4-speed and other 4-4-2 specific items). Tooling for the 727 already exists in the 1971 Charger R/T; I've mated that to the 1971 340 on a few occasions, and it mated perfectly. Really, it's 'Muller-Era' kit to another kit of that era -- a cinch for even mediocre builders like myself. 

[EDIT/ Amendment] : The ThermoQuad was first applied to the 1971 model year 340. 1968-1970 had the Carter AVS. And, technically, the passenger-side exhaust manifold is different from 1971-1973, but only on the A-bodies (no clue as to why...). 
Then there are the subjective air cleaner assemblies, esp. for 1970-1971 : 4-speed = no snorkels , automatic = snorkels -- at least for the Dart-Duster-Demon. 

Edited by 1972coronet
CLAIRIFICATION

6 hours ago, Mark said:

There were no '70 Coronet promos, hardtop or convertible.  

For some reason, I can't include the post I'm responding to...

Googled it, it's Joe Wheat/Memory Lane Models that made retro promos of the 70 maybe in the 90s... that is what I was thinking of, had seen pics of them before.

1_3ede98d4d13a8f8efc886b0b5ea36d89.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mopar maniac 74 said:

Steve. Goldman

1st thank you for communicating w us.

2nd appreciate all these great re releases.

Can you tell us if the demon will have the automatic console or a floor shift 4 speed?

Interior tub is basically the same as the original, so it still has the console.  Shifter has been revised to a 4-speed style copied from a 71 Demon that was in the Volo Collection that had both.   Based on the way you asked the question the factory choice was either one or the other?  If so, I guess you can consider it a Day 2 aftermarket modification.  

-Steve 

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

Shifter has been revised to a 4-speed style copied from a 71 Demon that was in the Volo Collection that had both.   Based on the way you asked the question the factory choice was either one or the other?  If so, I guess you can consider it a Day 2 aftermarket modification.  

Thanks for your reply, @SteveG.  To address this 4-speed/console deal for everyone: No U.S. model / U.S. built Dart-Demon-Duster-Dart-Sport-Swinger with 4-speed/console after the 1969 model year. 

Yes, a Day Two mod was possible. 

Now, Chrysler de Mexico / AutoMex , as well as Chrysler S.A., offered the console with 4-speed in their Dart/Duster/et al. variants from 1970 onward (see example of the 1974 Valiant Super Bee in the image).

For those whom desire a sans-console interior tub: a resin caster offers reproductions of the MPC Duster Pro Stock tub. this tub has no rear seat nor the console. Great starting point for a 4-speed (factory correct) or column-shift auto (with or without bucket seats).

SMH Resins 1971-75 Demon/Duster Pro Stock interior tub resin | eBay

The Story of the Plymouth Valiant Super Bee, the Mexican Muscle Car You Never Knew Existed - autoevolution

1974-super-bee-interior.jpg.12a4c3aa61af68b9ebcdd5228e5a43b7.jpg

Edited by 1972coronet
AMENDMENT
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Initial tooling is completed, and I should have the first round of test shots around August 1st. Most of the packaging is already done.  I'm still trying to get them out there for sale by the end of the year.  

-Steve

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 5/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, gtx6970 said:

Same here.

I dont do contests, and my builds go in my glass display case once done. So a super detailed chassis I have zero need for.

Im just happy to see this kit back on the shelves 

I'm with you on this i am 71 and started building model cars when i was 10 so that gives me 60 years of building i am at that point now i want to see the older cars come back out but do not want it to be a 2 years project because there are 10'000 parts on the chassis it's ok to make it simple 90% of the people that look at your models are not going to pick them up and say is that all the detail you have.!!!! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:56 AM, Mr mopar said:

I'm hearing sometime in late dec or 2024 . 

Round2 posted that the Demon should be coming out in Q3 2023 so any time from July-September. The AMT 1965 Chevrolet El Camino with Camper kit should be released here hopefully in the next few weeks and it was announced around the same time the Demon was. 

• 1 month later...