Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 box art

Mr mopar

2 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

I'm not a big fan of Corvettes,  ( actually, I hate them ) but that MPC vett looks pretty nice.

I might actually get that one.

That's a retouch of some vintage box art, the original had the car in red. That's a big block in the photo, with chromed valve covers. The kit actually has a small block in it with finned aluminum Corvette valve covers. It would be pretty cool to replicate the box art. It also would be pretty cool @Steve Goldman if they dug up the inserts to reissue the Malco Super Vett.

I am not a big Corvette fan, but I missed out on this one last time, so I'll get one.

The '61 Ford builds up nicely although it has a 4 door interior. If the hood is opened up, the '63 Galaxie chassis, engine, firewall, ect. will yield a nice kit. I'll definitely grab a few.

The Olds, well, I have a few so I'll probably skip it. 

8 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Think I'm actually happiest about the 442.  Got a kink or two, but it's soooo crazy better than the Lindberg '67 AMT reboxed.

Yup, that one is way overdue.  Planning to snag one so I can try grafting the Lindberg '67 front/back onto the AMT '66 body.  Probably the best chance to get a decently proportioned '67.

• Like 1

I've always thought this MPC 1960 Corvette kit was among the better Corvette kits in terms of body accuracy, et al. 

The build pictured below is box stock, built in the 1990s, and tweaked only with wheels and tires from the Revell '32 Ford Hot Rod series and a flocked interior carpet. 

The kit was originally introduced in 1968 and was a second variant of the original MPC 1956/57 Corvette kit tool first introduced in 1956.  The original '56-57 kit was promoted as a "6 in 1" if my memory is correct, and as mentioned above, the differences in the versions were pretty slight.  It was really more of a 'mix and match" type kit than six distinct building versions.

In addition to the 1956-57 interior tub, this 1960 kit also included the 1956-57 dual air cleaners while the real car had a single large air cleaner in 1960 when equipped with the dual quads IIRC.  Still, a fairly cool kit IMHO, particularly given the age of its origin....TB 

DSC 0348

DSC 0349

DSC 0350

DSC 0351

DSC 0352

DSC 0353

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I've always thought this MPC 1960 Corvette kit was among the better Corvette kits in terms of body accuracy, et al. 

The build pictured below is box stock, built in the 1990s, and tweaked only with wheels and tires from the Revell '32 Ford Hot Rod series and a flocked interior carpet. 

The kit was originally introduced in 1968 and was a second variant of the original MPC 1956/57 Corvette kit tool first introduced in 1956.  The original '56-57 kit was promoted as a "6 in 1" if my memory is correct, and as mentioned above, the differences in the versions were pretty slight.  It was really more of a 'mix and match" type kit than six distinct building versions.

In addition to the 1956-57 interior tub, this 1960 kit also included the 1956-57 dual air cleaners while the real car had a single large air cleaner in 1960 when equipped with the dual quads IIRC.  Still, a fairly cool kit IMHO, particularly given the age of its origin....TB 

DSC 0348

DSC 0349

DSC 0350

DSC 0351

DSC 0352

DSC 0353

Certainly one of the best of the original trio of 4-eyed Vettes. Lots of build options including a nice bumperless grille. I think in terms of body accuracy, and certainly the interior, the old Revell multi-piece body '60' Corvette has an edge. I really like your build. It has a nice 1970s cruiser vibe.

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

DSC 0348

DSC 0349

DSC 0350

DSC 0351

DSC 0352

DSC 0353

Nice build Tim.  And the license plate is fun.

I would not recommend the MPC 1960 Corvette kit.  I built that Corvette kit a few years ago.  It's a pretty lousy kit.  It seems to be a combination of Corvette parts from different years.  Bad parts fit, especially the chassis.  The chassis is too narrow to stay in the body.  I had to glue styrene blocks inside the body to keep the chassis from slipping out of the body.  It does build into a decent looking Corvette but it will take a lot of work.

Edited by carrucha

The seats are 56-57 & I think the door panels are too. I built one of these kits and wasn't at all impressed by it. But I've spent 25 years restoring 1:1 C1 & C2 Corvettes for a living so my view is skewed!   The old Revell '59 multi piece body kit is miles ahead of this kit IMO. 

8 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Was that the Rip Tide Vette at one time?

No, that was the AMT 59 (really a 60) Corvette produced from the old SMP tool. It has also been reissued recently, correctly as a 1960 this time, in the old Street Rods series box art. It's a pretty crude kit, but it has its charms.

Edited by Dave Darby