Model Cars Magazine Forum

A daily driven 32 roadster inspired by the Gray Baskerville roadster

If you're a hot rodding enthusiast, you know the name Gray Baskerville (1936-2002), he was a writer and photographer for Hot Rod and Rod & Custom for many years. He was true character, known for  his horn rimmed glasses, Hawaiian shirts, shorts and flip-flops. He had an infectious giggle and was a friend to all. Gray was almost more famous for his primer spotted red '32 full fendered roadster that was his daily driver for most of his life. The car was built by Paul Horning in 1954 and it was updated a few times over the years but Gray always wanted to keep some of it's unique features and style. The car was never a show car and had it's share of bumps and bruises, all part of it's charm. The car is now in the care of Chris Shelton. 

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1932-ford-roadster-gray-baskerville-hot-rod-magazine/ 

This project started when Dennis Lacy sent me one of the '32 ragtops he mastered cast by Ed Fluck at Drag City casting. I started mocking up the top and quickly realized the direction this build should take.

-Body is from the Revell Rat Roaster.

-Various other parts are from the Revell '32 series including the interior from the 'new' roadster kit that is taken from the Rat Roaster kit.

-Engine is a flathead from the Revell '48 Ford (Gray's car had an old small block Chevy).

-Rear suspension (Columbia two-speed) and crossmember are also from the '48.

-Stock headlight bar from one of the Monogram '32 kits. 

-Tires are from Modelhaus with AMT wheels.

-Paint is Tamiya Pure Red.

I didn't try to replicate the Gary Baskerville roadster, but take some styling cues from it. 

More pix here: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/red-32-roadster-/ -RRR

onjnjn.jpg

onoojnpijn.jpg

ibbhbjhb.jpg

poouhijbojhb.jpg

oyuugho8y9.jpg

onjnjn.jpg

oihjpiinhih.jpg

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 19

I agree with Phil, at first glance your little '32 looks like Gary's old car but with better paint. This has a look that will never go out of style. Great clean looking build.