Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not a review, but a future release "hopefully" - Mustang II

It would be great to see these again.......  Before somebody says the tool was modified for the Pro stock kits, the pro stock (Firefighter and Dyno Don) came out in 74, then there was the annual MPC '75, this in 76, annual 77, and the King Cobra in 78. So I do not think the original tool was modified.

image.png.e747482baf2ba05c0d07849f590d97f3.png

image.png.82d65ca3a97ae43c37ee5cd759d6f2c8.png

image.png.c3a2e36f7b1d4a170191db819e1c8e97.png

I personally believe the tooling for the stock MPC existed into the AMT/Ertl days because that was the last Mustang II kitted under the AMT Street Custom series in 2005. Now, looking at the box build on that, it is clearly the MPC kit that was built although the box contained an AMT kit. 

IMG_20240209_164928782_HDR.jpg

Edited by Sledsel
  • Like 6

Right you are, @Sledsel. I've built both tubbed and non-tubbed versions of the MPC kit, and pretty sure both ran simultaneously throughout the late 70s into the early 80s.

I'd love to build either again; great kits. Let's bring 'em back!

zz.jpg

• Like 1

"Agreed. It's obvious I am a Mustang guy. I don't love the Mustang II as a collector car, but I would love to build one to build a Mustang from every generation."

Have you built this one? ;)

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by redscampi

1 hour ago, redscampi said:

"Agreed. It's obvious I am a Mustang guy. I don't love the Mustang II as a collector car, but I would love to build one to build a Mustang from every generation."

Have you built this one? ;)

Not yet but I do understand it is being released again soon.

The pro stock kits were produced from the same tool as the annuals.  The body of a car kit is an expensive part to tool.  MPC liked to get a second use out of each year's annual kit bodies.  Why else would the pro stockers have windshield wipers?  Too, take a good look at the quarter panels on the stock MPC Mustang II kits...they get lumpier by the year, as they were modified back and forth.  The V8 engine and snorkel hood scoop from the '75 Dyno Don pro stock turned up in the '76-'78 annuals.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

Not yet but I do understand it is being released again soon.

This made me go look and I found this on Ebay for $33, so apparently it has been reissued. That being said there are several of the earlier issues still floating around that can be had for similar money. I have the Lindberg and IMC variants. Lots of parts and pieces!

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, catpack68 said:

Hopefully Round2 will release a Mustang II kit in the future.I would even settle for the MPC Firefighter version👍

AMT #1369 Mustang II Concept scheduled for reissue. Sometime this year, I presume. 

image.png

Edited by Jon Cole

Is it the IMC(?) Cougar II concept car kit with the full Shelby Cobra interior and underpinnings or is it the Mustang II concept car?  If R2 somehow had that, a new body (stock, FIA, USRRC) would be all that was needed for a new Cobra kit, which is desperately needed.

3 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Is it the IMC(?) Cougar II concept car kit with the full Shelby Cobra interior and underpinnings or is it the Mustang II concept car?  If R2 somehow had that, a new body (stock, FIA, USRRC) would be all that was needed for a new Cobra kit, which is desperately needed.

It's the Mustang II Concept Car, but there's no reason why Round2 doesn't have the '63 Cougar II lying around somewhere as Lindberg kicked that IMC kit out twice so it still exists. 

It might be far more trouble that it's worth to try to tool up an entirely new body(ies)for that though cause meshing 2020 parts into 90s era kits was a chore. Doing that to a 1965 era tool from a company thrice removed...I think there's a raft of better monetary investments.

While this car for many Mustang enthusiasts was a low point, I as a kid back then was impressed with it, Go fast stripes must mean it's fast right?!

What also helps is that a friend of my father owned one back when they were new.

But with the mpc kit modified and the amt tool ready to be injected with molten plastic I don't think it's in the stars, would be neat tho, especially if clear headlamps were to be included in the overhaul.

image.png.e5f14329931fba4e3a3f9c88d90f2fd8.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Let's not forget the Mustang II "Monroe Handler" Cobra Street Racer kit...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-1345-cobra-street-racer--258116

Agreed, @BlackSheep214. Whether Atlantis or Revell, I'm hoping whoever has this kit gets it back out ASAP. Last time it was available, IIRC, was in red in the HOT ROD series, back in the mid-late 80s. 

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

1 hour ago, Stef said:

Agreed, @BlackSheep214. Whether Atlantis or Revell, I'm hoping whoever has this kit gets it back out ASAP. Last time it was available, IIRC, was in red in the HOT ROD series, back in the mid-late 80s. 

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

I'm no Ford enthusiast, but that engine looks about a scale foot too wide.

If this is like most other mid '70s to early '80s Revell kits, there's probably not much usable for an accurate build.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

If this is like most other mid '70s to early '80s Revell kits, there's probably not much usable for an accurate build.

Right you are, @Robberbaron. It's a pretty inaccurate custom-only kit, with its separate full-perimiter frame, blob engine, generic 2-seat interior with molded-in spare tire, undersized suspensions, and more. Would not recommend this one for any purist. Kit was reskinned as both a Sunbird and a Monza.

Me personally, I'd build it for nostalgia, update it a bit, no doubt, ignore what I can accept, aim to have fun, and hope I don't destroy it this time, heh.

26 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Who cares and I agree with Stef. I build for  nostalgic reasons. I could care less about "accuracies". Isn't this hobby suppose to be fun to begin with?😏

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Yeah, the engine is trash in that kit, along with most of the rest of it. If I ever get around to building mine it's getting a full chassis swap and a new engine. I don't know what Revell was thinking in those days with all the sad kits they turned out. 

• Like 2