Model Cars Magazine Forum

What’s your favorite paint to airbrush?

After about eight years of not airbrushing, I’m finally getting ready to get back into it.  I’m basically set up now, but I’m still in the process of reorganizing the basement.  Probably have about another week to go of that.

When I stepped away from airbrushing, I was using testors square bottle and MM paint, all of which were enamel.  Many of the top brands you hear about now weren’t around yet.  And if they did exist, I wasn’t in the know about them.

Now there are so many options!  So what I want to know is:

1- What’s your favorite type of paint?  Lacquer, enamel, or acrylic?

2- What is your favorite brand?

3- And finally, why?

Looking forward to getting your input and really looking forward to firing up the compressor!

Lacquers and enamels mostly. Like so many old timers, I've been using Testors enamels forever and still do from time to time. I started using lacquers in a big way about 10 or 12 years ago. For Kustom colors (candies, flakes and pearls) I use House of Kolor. I use a lot of the Tamiya synthetic lacquers, and Testors Model Master Lacquers, which unfortunately are disappearing or have completely disappeared. Tamiya lacquers spray so nicely right from the can, I rarely airbrush them. I also use Dupli-Color lacquers and primers. And from time to time I'll use Mr. Color lacquers as well. I like to experiment with different paint lines and find what works.

• Like 1

For decades it was Testors and Humbrol, and later Model Master when it came around, because like you, that's what was available. I still like to spray them, though I thin them with lacquer thinner now. 

Over the past dozen years or so I've been playing with mostly lacquer for car bodies. I am growing quite fond of the Tamiya LP lacquers in the jars. A couple years ago I started thinning them with Mr Color Levelling Thinner 400, which is good stuff. They spray very smooth and lay down nicely. Compared to enamels, they flash off quickly allowing to recoat in a few minutes without the danger of sags, and they 'tighten up' nicely as they dry, preventing loss of engraved detail. I also get far less incidents of orange peel with lacquer, though a lot of that may be due to improved technique and the purchase of a new airbrush. 

I do wish the Tamiya colour range was more broad. They are nice paints, and readily available, but colours are limited. I have yet to try the boutique brands like MCW, Scale Finishes, Splash, Gravity, etc, but I will eventually. A fantastic range of colours is available when all these are considered, including very many specific colours for race cars and factory stock builds. 

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 3

Tamiya LP's; they mix/spray beautifully, easy (for me) to mix custom colors. Wish they were available in Tamiya's larger jars.

Alclad metalizers/metallics, always preferred vs. Testors stuff. Always.

Splash Paints colors. Good stuff. Use a really good primer under them. Metallics are scaled for scale models, not 1:1 scale. 

Vintage Cobra Colors paint. Same as above. Large jars. Perhaps overscale metallic flakes.

Decanted Tamiya sprays. Except clear. It doesn't like being cut/thinned like the old formula.

Mr. Hobby lacquer jar paints. Thicker than Tamiya LP's, not quite as smooth-flowing, need for thinner but still pretty amazing. Their #46 clear was my replacement for Tamiya TS-13 when it was off the market, but Tamiya LP-9 clear is even better IMHO.

• Like 1

I'm no expert at air brushing but have been doing it for several years. I always have used acrylics because of easy water cleanup. Have occasionally used craft paints with good results, also Createx (somewhat iffy results and really need to use their thinning products). Recently used Tamiya acrylics but I'm now really liking Mr Color topcoats and Mr. Surfacer 1500 primer. Cleanup is with lacquer thinner tho.    There will be a lot of different opinions so it's a try it and see proposition.

• Like 1

Same as Mike. I really like the Tamiya Acrylics, they go on great using Mr Hobby Leveling Thinner. The only primer I use now is the Mr. Surfacer 1500. I have used the Createx also, it works well but as Mike said you must use their thinner. I use Vallejo model color for brushing details, and just lately tried air brushing with it and it did very good, may start using it more.

• Like 1

I mainly use Tamiya acrylic paints thinned with off the shelf lacquer thinner.  Testors in the little bottles is hit and miss but when its a hit it lays down really nice.  I have yet to try any of the MCW, Scale Finishes, Splash, Gravity, etc.  I like to buy most of my supplies locally and support my local hobby shop.

• Like 1

I've had my best success using Scalefinishes, which is an enamel base coat It goes on smooth, and predictable for me.
I've also had good success with MCW. I love lacquers, as they go on smoothly and predictably as well.
For some reason I don't have great success with acrylics, though I've got a lot of it. Maybe I'm just mentally challenged at airbrushing. 😄

• Like 1

I have no favorite, I just use what will fit my need at the time, per model. If you're looking for one magic bullet, just be warned that it may be here today and gone tomorrow. We've seen that happen with several brands over the 65 years or so, at least I've been painting models for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I have no favorite, I just use what will fit my need at the time, per model. If you're looking for one magic bullet, just be warned that it may be here today and gone tomorrow. We've seen that happen with several brands over the 65 years or so, at least I've been painting models for.

Same here. I thought the original question is a bit too vague.  For airbrushing car bodies?  Or other parts of the model (from chassis to small parts like a carburetor or a starter)?

No favorites here - I just airbrush whatever paint I find best in for a specific job.  And I have probably a dozen of different paint types (from various manufacturers).  I do minimal brush painting, so most of them get applied through my airbrush.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peteski said:

Same here. I thought the original question is a bit too vague.  For airbrushing car bodies?  Or other parts of the model (from chassis to small parts like a carburetor or a starter)?

No favorites here - I just airbrush whatever paint I find best in for a specific job.  And I have probably a dozen of different paint types (from various manufacturers).  I do minimal brush painting, so most of them get applied through my airbrush.

Point taken.  Primarily I'm interested to see what you all use for painting bodies,  but anything goes really.  I'll be shooting the majority of the parts anyway., and probably only brush painting small details.   That's what I did before we moved here. 

Thank you all for your input.   Very much appreciated. 

I'm planning to start off trying out Scale Finishes.   Looks like they have a huge selection,  and I hear good things about their products. 

• Like 1

I like MCW and Scalefinishes “Lacquer”, for base coat. I’ve been decanting Testors lacquer gloss clear, as I have a healthy supply I bought before they discontinued it. (At least, nobody around me carries it)

I’ve decanted Tamiya semi gloss black I bought in aerosol cans. I use it on chassis parts and anything else i want to finish in semi gloss black.

I’ve used testors square bottle enamel, thinned 100%, but it takes forever to dry, and the finish isn’t that great.

I like Alclad for metal parts and the Alclad chrome is awesome, as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vintage chromoly said:

I like MCW and Scalefinishes “Lacquer”, for base coat. I’ve been decanting Testors lacquer gloss clear, as I have a healthy supply I bought before they discontinued it. (At least, nobody around me carries it)

I’ve decanted Tamiya semi gloss black I bought in aerosol cans. I use it on chassis parts and anything else i want to finish in semi gloss black.

I’ve used testors square bottle enamel, thinned 100%, but it takes forever to dry, and the finish isn’t that great.

I like Alclad for metal parts and the Alclad chrome is awesome, as well. 

You say you like Scalefinishes lacquer but in reading the info on their site it says their paint enamel paint. I always thought it was lacquer too until I finally read the whole "Read Before Use" page.

capture.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

1 hour ago, MeatMan said:

You say you like Scalefinishes lacquer but in reading the info on their site it says their paint enamel paint. I always thought it was lacquer too until I finally read the whole "Read Before Use" page.

capture.jpg

Scale Finishes offers all of their automotive colors in gloss enamel, or "base coat" lacquer.

If you visit the website main page, click on "automotive colors", choose a make, click on the year, then click on the little arrow in the price box, a little drop down will appear with the choice of "Base Coat", or "Gloss Enamel".

Base coat lacquers are generally $12.99.

Enamels are $12.49.

I don't know if it's the case anymore, but there used to be some issues with the enamels drying.

I use the base coat lacquers myself, and have had very good luck with them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Scale Finishes offers all of their automotive colors in gloss enamel, or "base coat" lacquer.

If you visit the website main page, click on "automotive colors", choose a make, click on the year, then click on the little arrow in the price box, a little drop down will appear with the choice of "Base Coat", or "Gloss Enamel".

Enamels are $12.49.

I don't know if it's the case anymore, but there used to be some issues with the enamels drying.

Steve

You are correct, and I knew that but age-related brain fog caused me to miss that. I too select lacquer when ordering, duh!

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Enamels are $12.49.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

I recently ordered Scalefinishes engine enamel. It’s not good stuff. It stays tacky for several days. I was disappointed, based on how good their lacquer base is.

2 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

@StevenGuthmiller - I know you use MCW too.  Do you have a preference?  Just curious.

Personally, I prefer MCW.

Mostly because I find their metallics to be more in scale.

On the other hand, Scale Finishes is an equally good product as far as workability, and more economical in the end, with twice as much paint for a few dollars more.

They are both excellent products!

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vintage chromoly said:

I recently ordered Scalefinishes engine enamel. It’s not good stuff. It stays tacky for several days. I was disappointed, based on how good their lacquer base is.

I only have one bottle of Scale Finishes engine enamel that I bought several years ago, and had very good luck with it.

That’s the only experience that I’ve had personally with Scale Finishes enamel, but it sprayed beautifully and dried quickly for me.

Steve

3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I only have one bottle of Scale Finishes engine enamel that I bought several years ago, and had very good luck with it.

That’s the only experience that I’ve had personally with Scale Finishes enamel, but it sprayed beautifully and dried quickly for me.

Steve

I’m thinking about picking up some paint from both companies, both lacquer and enamel and doing some testing.  
I noticed both companies also have a hardener for their enamels. That might be worth a look too.

Thanks for your input Steve.  Much appreciated.👍

I’m really looking forward to finally getting an airbrush back in my hands.  It’s been a long time coming.

2 hours ago, Vintage chromoly said:

Interesting to hear. I threw one in the cart the last time I bought paint, but I haven't used it yet.

4 hours ago, Vintage chromoly said:

I had a similar issue. And when it dried, the paint itself remained soft.  When I contacted Scale Finishes about it, they sent me a bottle of hardener to mix with the paint before airbrushing.

• Like 1