Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building the Moebius 1955 Chrysler C300

Len Carsner

Wow! The wait is apparently well worth it, now if I can just force myself to stay home until the kit actually arrives at the local Hobby Shop. (I think they would frown on a tent tossed on their doorstep).

Hey, if people can do it for concert tickets, you can do it for the latest from Moebius!

Boy would that be a trip to see, pull up to work and find somebody camping out in front of the place :P You would have seen a store full of confused and somewhat amused employees though if they're any thing like me and my co-workers :)

This is something I need to have. I can remember one of these in red, here in Finland. It was very nice and clean, almost like straight from the factory... It's still in my head, and I guess I must build one like that. But before buying this version of Chrysler 300, I have to make sure, that I get one Tim Flock NASCAR Chrysler, that is even more interesting. Nice builds there, this kit looks very good from here, and can be built into very nice model.

exactly as i was hoping and expecting; near-excellence! another beauty of an early Hemi, though i warrant few of THESE will get scrounged for other builds! i hope Hobbytown doesn't wait three months to get some of THESE in, like they did with the Hudsons....

I'm with Mike and Alyn. When the Hudson and C300 were announced, I was all excited over the Hudson and rather ho-hum about the C300. But seeing them built especially the black one - now on the gotta have list. Thanks all involved!

And Skip, I like the way you think. A 56 Continental in 1/25th would be fantastic!

I'm with Mike and Alyn. When the Hudson and C300 were announced, I was all excited over the Hudson and rather ho-hum about the C300. But seeing them built especially the black one - now on the gotta have list. Thanks all involved!

I was thinking the same thing. I was planning on getting a couple of these at first, but I think I'll be getting more than a couple now.

i think we're so used to seeing crazy-thin tires on conestoga wagon rims that we don't recognize what a '50's car, especially a big honker of a Chrysler, would have rode on... nice, comfortable, wide whitewalls that soaked up the still-marginal highways of the '50's!

We’d like to thank all of those who made this project possible:

Dave Metzner and Frank Winspur of Moebius - two guys who are serious about models and are a blast to talk with.

Sean Svendsen - whether it’s your artwork or models, we are in awe of your talent.

Gregg H. and Harry P. - for allowing us space on the forum (and for putting up with us...)

And to all of you out there who read, view, or comment on these build projects.

Thank you, one and all

First off all the builds look fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing your work.

I'd like to add one name to your list.

Dave Burket. Dave is working hand in hand with Frank and Dave M. in making these shorter run kits viable.

I will not or can go into the details but there is a good chance some of this may not ahppen with out the entire team.....Dave Burket too.

And when everyone gets to see what Moebius and Model King have coming it will blow you away!!!

And I want to give thanks to Dave, Dave and Frank for allowing me to help out with these kits. It's a very small part...but to me it means the world.

Add to it the things I get to do because of my relanoship with Model King and Moebius...... I am Blessed.

All in all these are the 'good old days' like the good old days never were.

Thanks

Dave

"First off all the builds look fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing your work.

I'd like to add one name to your list.

Dave Burket. Dave is working hand in hand with Frank and Dave M. in making these shorter run kits viable.

I will not or can go into the details but there is a good chance some of this may not ahppen with out the entire team.....Dave Burket too.

And when everyone gets to see what Moebius and Model King have coming it will blow you away!!!

And I want to give thanks to Dave, Dave and Frank for allowing me to help out with these kits. It's a very small part...but to me it means the world.

Add to it the things I get to do because of my relanoship with Model King and Moebius...... I am Blessed.

All in all these are the 'good old days' like the good old days never were.

Thanks

Dave "

Dave,

Thanks so much for the compliments.

And color me embarrassed for forgetting Dave Burkett. All of us in the hobby owe him a great deal of gratitude for his efforts over the years. And his work with Moebius is greatly appreciated.

And, although I have no knowledge of any projects in the works I would bet my last dollar that if they are anywhere near the level of the Hudson and the C300 they'll blow us all away!

Len C.

Edited by Len Carsner

On second thought, I think it might just be the angle from which the models are photographed.

Looking at just the photos of the wheels and tires themselves, they look fine. Quite a few of the finished car shots are at a somewhat high angle- an angle you'd only see a 1:1 from if you were standing up on a stool or abnormally tall. From that perspective, the whitewalls look like they're tucked up into the fenders a bit more than they should be, which would create the illusion of a too-tall tire and/or an undersize wheel. Looking at the first shot of the white car, which is shot at an angle more like how you'd approach the car in 1:1, the tires look a lot better.

Might just be a 'perception thing' on my part. B)

It may be the angle that I used on the model. I've started using a new photo cube but it's a bit smaller than I thought it would be, so I'm having to be creative in my poses to keep the side fabric out of the shot.

As for a shot with perspective, try this:

wpc3003-vi.jpg

Compare this to the rear 3/4 shot of my black car and I think you'll find it compares quite favorably

Len C.

i think we're so used to seeing crazy-thin tires on conestoga wagon rims that we don't recognize what a '50's car, especially a big honker of a Chrysler, would have rode on... nice, comfortable, wide whitewalls that soaked up the still-marginal highways of the '50's!

Or, it might be a simple matter of being used to the one ID fits all tires the other kits have been using for as long as I can remember. :lol: When you're used to seeing a kind of 'universal' 15 or 16" wheel, seeing an in-scale 14" wheel would deliver the illusion of the wheel being underscale.

Compare this to the rear 3/4 shot of my black car and I think you'll find it compares quite favorably

Len C.

I did, and it does.

Well, my one worry with the kit has pretty much been eliminated!

My guess would be that the highways in this country were in better shape in the '50s than they are now!

I can't wait to get a couple of these on my work desk. These guys have realy raised the bar with the Hudson and now the 300. For myself the tires on the Hudson seemed a little wide, and these seem a little nerrow or more like the OEM tires would have been. I may trade the tires between these in the future. Man I can't wait to se what the make next. Just outstanding.