Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building the Moebius 1955 Chrysler C300

Len Carsner

Fantastic work! Congrats. Such a amazing car. If i could choose one out of them, i didn't know, wich one is my favorite.

The red? The black? Or the Racer?

Now, i am in trouble....want it as fast as possible...YOU did a great job with it.

THANK YOU very much for this new kit!

Or, it might be a simple matter of being used to the one ID fits all tires the other kits have been using for as long as I can remember. :lol: When you're used to seeing a kind of 'universal' 15 or 16" wheel, seeing an in-scale 14" wheel would deliver the illusion of the wheel being underscale.

Yeah, I remember thinking how tiny the wheels looked on the Revell '72 Cutlass when it came out, or the Revell '68 Firebird. 14 inch wheels look very tiny when I'm used to seeing 16-20 inch or larger wheels in the real world...

This is going to sound crazy, but I'm already itching to paint one in that One Coat Black Metallic since it's a close match for Chrysler's Crystal Black Clear Coat paint they're now using on a variety of cars and vans......maybe with a mild drop and some debadging.

Here's your rolling stock - Beautiful wide whites with your choice of either stock wheel covers or the optional Kelsey Hayes wire wheels.

[anorak mode]

A very common mistake, repeated so often that a lot of people believe it's true.

But Kelsey Hayes never was a supplier to Chrysler Corp.

Instead, Chrysler used wire wheels made by a company called 'Motor Wheel', which has been defunct for many years now.

You can see this instantly once you take the tyre off a Chrysler wire wheel. They are stamped 'Motor Wheel'.

However, Kelsey Hayes makes reproductions of the Motor Wheel for restorers.

[/anorak mode]

Edited by Junkman

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I remember thinking how tiny the wheels looked on the Revell '72 Cutlass when it came out, or the Revell '68 Firebird. 14 inch wheels look very tiny when I'm used to seeing 16-20 inch or larger wheels in the real world...

I had a 1:1 '70 Cutlass Supreme convertible ... and it's factory stock 14" wheels/tires looked small in proportion to the overall mass of the car. It's not just the model ... and the model isn't wrong.

I can't speak about the '68 Firebird ... never had one. But my 1:1 '69 Z28 looked great with its factory wheels and Polyglas WideOval tires.

B) - censored.gif

So the stock (non racing version) is out??

The showroom stock version kits landed stateside about a week ago and should be out there now. The Flock racing version and Hudson convertible are due in 4-6 weeks. I will post when they are near.

Great to have this in Hobby Shops too. I will buy that Stock Version, and that Tim Flock NASCAR version. Well when there comes a PreOrder or something of that Nascar version, I'll order it right away, before they're sold out. That Stock version needs to be bought bit later, when I have more money.

My pops had one of these in 68.I remember going a gas station he would fill the tank with premium and aviation fuel to run hemi proper.his was in white thanks for the sweet look at a the grand father of the muscle car.

• 1 month later...

According to an online source - the stock tires on the '55 300 were 'special 6 ply tubeless 800x15 Goodyears. Note, that they're 15", not 14" as some wrote in this thread. As far as I can recall, 14" tires weren't available until 1957, and were introduced during the 'lower is better every year' era in Detroit.

800x15 tires are huge, fat tires, but the wheels in (at least some of the images posted in this thread) don't look quite right to me, as they appear to be too small in relation to the tires, esp w/ the kit's wide whites. The '55 Chrysler C300 was almost 219" long w/ a 126" wheelbase, so 15" wheels might look small on such a large car. And, the gangster style wide-whites probably exaggerate how small the wheels look to me. Also - to further nit-pick, the tire's sidewall engraving appears a little heavy-handed - at least in the close-up images.

But, even if there might be an issue w/ the tires and/or wheels, who really cares, as that's relatively an easy fix - if it's needed at all, as I could be completely wrong w/ my above impressions.

But, the overall model is a gem! Moebius is to be highly congradulated for doing justice to this rare subject! And, could they have a '56 300B in the works? Seems a natural, as the only significant differance between the '55 & the '56 are the rear quarter panels, tailights, rear bumper, and a couple of badges. Or, perhaps we'll soon have a quality resin conversion for a '56?? Either way - here's hoping. . .

And, I'd hope someone (Moebius or Revell?) would do a 1/25th scale '56 Olds Super 88 and/or same year Buick Century, a '57 Cad (not an Eldo), and a '56 Continental Mk2. Great replica stock & customs, and consider all the neat vintage drivetrain & trim pcs for other custom projects. Just my 2 cents worth. . .

How'd i miss this gem of a thread?? The builds are spectacular!! Thank you for sharing them. Another "Must Have" pair of kits from Moebius. Can't wait to see what is down the pipe for us from this group...amazing!

Great Revue of a great kit! I have'n been able to get this kit yet, but I will be buying one! I also want the Tim Flock car when I can get them, but for now my health and finances will not allow it. I hate being house bound and unable to even get to my work area!

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic but as I will be finishing up the building of my stock C300 this week and I just wanted to share a few comments for people who haven't built this kit yet. In all my years of building of mutiple kits both plastic and resin I have never built a model that has went together so well. There are parts on this model that can just snap together without glue. Everything aligns and I have been nothing but impressed. Though complex this kit has been a joy to build. I will post some pictures next week as I wrap the model up. Thanks again to Moebius and everyone involved.

I know this is an old topic but as I will be finishing up the building of my stock C300 this week and I just wanted to share a few comments for people who haven't built this kit yet. In all my years of building of mutiple kits both plastic and resin I have never built a model that has went together so well. There are parts on this model that can just snap together without glue. Everything aligns and I have been nothing but impressed. Though complex this kit has been a joy to build. I will post some pictures next week as I wrap the model up. Thanks again to Moebius and everyone involved.

I agree with you Dave. I built this kit in Platinum White back in August or September it was the nicest kit for fitting together that I have ever built and I have been building since 1964. Well worth getting!