Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Hobby Lobby trip today. Ya gotta love those 40 % off coupons. Anyway, I got the Cobra to replace the one in my stash that I used to build that black one I just finished. The Olds I bought because I saw some pretty cool ones here and thought I would give one a try.

gottoday001_zpsf17bedb7.jpg

gottoday002_zps685b5a90.jpg

Just came in the mail today.

A '55 Pontiac 2 door hardtop.

I had always been reluctant to buy these older re-pops of some of the Johan promos mostly because of the lack of interiors.

So when this one popped up on ebay with a resin interior, I thought I'd take a chance.

The interior is far from nice, but it is a fairly good starting point.

The tub, door panels & rear seat are actually fairly well executed, although there are plenty of voids & pinholes, but the dash & front seat are not exactly ideal.

Oh well, it's a place to start.

Steve

DSCN4242_zpsftidiycg.jpgDSCN4243_zps2t48vbme.jpg

Haven't been buying much since new job has a significant cut in pay. Was in Ollie's and ran across a special on Duplicolor; $.99 per can

m

man i wish we had that store here i see all of the great hobby buys and makes me want to move closer to one closet one is 1500 miles away

man i wish we had that store here i see all of the great hobby buys and makes me want to move closer to one closet one is 1500 miles away

My local store does not have any paint like that. As Tom has said they are a close out so most stores are have different stuff (better than junk) LOL.

Hobby Lobby trip today. Ya gotta love those 40 % off coupons. Anyway, I got the Cobra to replace the one in my stash that I used to build that black one I just finished. The Olds I bought because I saw some pretty cool ones here and thought I would give one a try.

gottoday001_zpsf17bedb7.jpg

gottoday002_zps685b5a90.jpg

Ray i really would enjoy seeing you build that Olds, you have been building some sharp models...

Hobby Lobby trip today. Ya gotta love those 40 % off coupons.

I used mine this week to get the ex-Monogram 1/24 T Rod, which I've never built. Looks like fun!

Just got back from the local quarterly Toy & Train show. Made some good deals:

1. Round 2 reissue '67 Shelby, new and wrapped, $12.

2. An old toy 1/24 or 1/25 Lamborghini Mura, $5. It should clean and paint up into a nice "shelf model" for that price.

3. AMT '66 Mustang HT. Don't need another one of these but someone had laid a FABULOUS Ivy Green paint job on the body that shouldn't need much if any further work to look good. Well worth the $10 I paid just to Snake-slap it together into another fun shelf-sitter.

4. Eckler Corvette, complete and unstarted, $10. Could hardly pay the eBay shipping on one for that, and they're getting a little hard to find..

5. Package deal: Set of AMT Parts Pack M&H slicks (always useful, tagged at $10), AND not one but TWO built but very restorable Monogram '69 GTO Judges for $21. Both seem to be molded in orange, which is what I've been looking for--I need an orange model for my "polished plastic" collection. There's enough stuff to get AT LEAST one good polished plastic Carousel Red '69 Judge together, and I might well be able to do a second '69 GTO of some sort from the leftovers.

Not a bad haul at all.

Just came in the mail today.

A '55 Pontiac 2 door hardtop.

I had always been reluctant to buy these older re-pops of some of the Johan promos mostly because of the lack of interiors.

So when this one popped up on ebay with a resin interior, I thought I'd take a chance.

The interior is far from nice, but it is a fairly good starting point.

The tub, door panels & rear seat are actually fairly well executed, although there are plenty of voids & pinholes, but the dash & front seat are not exactly ideal.

Oh well, it's a place to start.

Steve

DSCN4242_zpsftidiycg.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Your later-model work is really something.

I bought one of these in pretty sad shape at the last NNL South: crushed roof pillars, etc. The plan was to build a chopped gasser on a Chevy chassis, with one of the chain-driven-blower Pontiacs from the MT Challenger kit.

Someday.

Just picked up a decent builtup 1960 Buick convertible. with its original box and instructions. All for the grand total of $35

I think ( hope ) all the custom stuff will come up without to much grief

$_12.JPG

The skirts might be the main problem.

I always cringe a little when I see those cruiser skirts glued over areas where there are body moldings & the like.

You never know what kind of a mess could be underneath. :unsure:

Steve

Steve,

Believe me, I thought about that. And I try my best to avoid the builds with all the custom stuff glued on. BUT,,,, I also look at whats under there . If its just a thin mldg like these cars had. Then I dont worry about it to much. On a 1959 Mercury Parklane or Ford Galaxie as an example it becomes a completely different animal. Seems like finding them without the goofy stuff added on is tough . Then I weigh the options of how much I am willing to accept at a particular price point.

Before bidding on it I looked at pics of the 1/1 cars I have a feeling its not going to be a big deal ,,,,at least I hope so .Either way at the price point I think I'll be ok.

Yesterday at work, someone priced an AMT/Ertl '55 Chevy Stepsidr kit at $2. It sat on the shelf for the rest of the day. The rule at work is an item has to be on the shelf for 24 hours before I, an employee, can buy it. So it was there on my fifteen-minute break today. I went to buy it, and I was informed by the manager I couldn't buy anything on my fifteen-minuter. Dang! Hide it behind some puzzles, go eat trail mix until break's over, then work for an hour until lunch break.

Went back out to help with register, ten minutes before my break. The next register over, I see a guy buying some 1/16 NASCAR diecasts... and the Chevy kit. :rolleyes::(

I ended up using my $2 for a couple records instead.

Steve,

Believe me, I thought about that. And I try my best to avoid the builds with all the custom stuff glued on. BUT,,,, I also look at whats under there . If its just a thin mldg like these cars had. Then I dont worry about it to much. On a 1959 Mercury Parklane or Ford Galaxie as an example it becomes a completely different animal. Seems like finding them without the goofy stuff added on is tough . Then I weigh the options of how much I am willing to accept at a particular price point.

Before bidding on it I looked at pics of the 1/1 cars I have a feeling its not going to be a big deal ,,,,at least I hope so .Either way at the price point I think I'll be ok.

I've bought a couple something like this too, & I scrutinize them the same way Bill.

It's always a gamble when you buy these old annuals with all of this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH glued to them.

Steve

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...