Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

The MPC '71 Camaro molded in white is a tough item...all of the ones I have ever seen (including a couple of them I had/have) were yellow.  From where they seem to turn up, many MPC '71 kits molded in colors (not counting the pre-fogged custom jobs) were sold in the Eastern half of the country with the white ones going west.

Just won this gem on evilbay. Have to run to HH next week and pick up another Jimmy kit to complete this one. No opening hood so I guess this one will have to be a curbside, I could build it like one of the 2 we had when I was growing up, but I may do it like I would have like to have built one if money was no object, It has the van style rear doors like the 2 we had.

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Mark said:

The MPC '71 Camaro molded in white is a tough item...all of the ones I have ever seen (including a couple of them I had/have) were yellow.  From where they seem to turn up, many MPC '71 kits molded in colors (not counting the pre-fogged custom jobs) were sold in the Eastern half of the country with the white ones going west.

I had a '71 Duster annual that was yellow, as well. I have a '71 Vega that's white.

20 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Just won this gem on evilbay. Have to run to HH next week and pick up another Jimmy kit to complete this one. No opening hood so I guess this one will have to be a curbside, I could build it like one of the 2 we had when I was growing up, but I may do it like I would have like to have built one if money was no object, It has the van style rear doors like the 2 we had.

s-l1600 (10).jpg

20 hours ago, Mike C. said:

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Or the Dark Winds Indian police vehicial

• Like 1

Back in the mid-'70s, I built an MPC '68 'Cuda to comply with NHRA's 1975 MP rules. Since the '68 isn't so easily obtained--at least inexpensively--I picked this one up. It arrived, today. I plan on building it according to the same parameters. This time, instead of cutting out the rear axle, and rebuilding that area, I will use the chassis from the AMT'71 Duster. I actually have the cross-ram manifold from the old one. Just as an homage, I may use it. I'll be using Joseph's carbs, this time, though!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up some Renshape-type blocks of material from Amazon, which arrived today.

Renshape is a resin material that KINDA works like wood - you can cut and sand it easily, it drills well, takes paint well…but is also kinda pricy.  I wanna practice some carving and machine skills, so I got the store-brand stuff to try on some scratchbuilding projects:

IMG_0136.thumb.jpeg.95e89c6d2c522910591175684696b5f0.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, Modlbldr said:

Went to my club meeting/swap meet Thursday. Got rid of a few things and picked up a few projects/parts. Fortunately I got rid of more than I took with me. 59 Impala lowrider is sealed inside for a fantastic price!

Later-

20230612_105620.jpg

20230612_104509.jpg

20230612_104524.jpg

20230612_104904.jpg

20230612_104624.jpg

20230612_105058.jpg

20230612_105218.jpg

20230612_105231.jpg

20230612_105300.jpg

20230612_105311.jpg

That 59 Chevy is neat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

I've seen their VW Beetle as well as T1....they do build up nicely.

Ball park idea on the scale of the Jeep and the Jaguar?

I have them all now. The Jeep box is bigger than the rest. Build them witht he great nephews. 🙂

This was a LHS purchase today. This is something that I have done before, that I refer to as the tail that wags the dog. I purchased the C1 transkit at the NNL East, but did not have the required Hasegawa Mini kit. Now I have that kit! This is a planned build for the upcoming ACME show in Georgia!

2023-06-14.jpg.b3687f7cf90be6a1694a383c52babb5e.jpg

Edited by Bill Eh?
sp + added info
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

This was a LHS purchase today. This is something that I have done before, that I refer to as the tail that wags the dog. I purchased the C1 transkit at the NNL East, but did not have the required Hasegawa Mini kit. Now I have that kit! This is a planned build for the upcoming ACME show in Georgia!

2023-06-14.jpg.b3687f7cf90be6a1694a383c52babb5e.jpg

nice, those zeemax kits were among the smartest for the mini. they were certainly the most copied kits. heres one thats in a shed near my mums. its pretty rusty now though

DSC02979.JPG

DSC02981.JPG

• Like 2

Got a couple of the reissue ‘82 Broncos in the mail today, along with a ‘61 Cadillac resin kit from Decko Car Company.  First I’ve bought from them, very nice piece.  Clean white resin, looks like styrene.  With whitewall tires and chromed bumpers and wheels.  

IMG_0095.jpeg

IMG_0096.jpeg

• Like 5