Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

9 minutes ago, CA Whitecloud said:

That's a nice case. May I aske where you obtained it?

I ordered it from Carney Plastics Calvin. Nice company to deal with. Well packaged. A guy on market place by me has one for sale. Used of course. Won't take less than $150 for his. That's about what this one cost delivered. I bought 6 from a guy about 3 years ago for $60 each. They were well used. He had more but I thought I'd never fill all 6. I was wrong. LOL! The nascar cabinet fits most models. Some pickups might not fit as they tend to be a bit taller. They also sell Novus Plastic Polish.

https://shop.carneyplastics.com/NASCAR-Diecast-Model-Car-Display-Case-24-Car-124-Scale-P445.aspx

Edited by ewetwo
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:09 PM, Rocketman455 said:

Got this today. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not familiar with this brand or any Japanese kits for that matter. The boat and trailer is what intrigued me. Box is alitte rough but all contents were complete and sealed inside.  20240315_160516.thumb.jpg.647a62a1c65409c1bb213705252151c3.jpg

Very cool Basically a Plymouth Arrow 76 to 80 https://autopolis.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/1976-1980-plymouth-arrow/

Edited by milo1303s

15 minutes ago, milo1303s said:

Very cool Basically a Plymouth Arrow 76 to 80 https://autopolis.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/1976-1980-plymouth-arrow/

While looking for other Plymouth arrow kits I found this. Even though it's not a kit its still kinda cool. I wasn't aware they produced a pickup. Looks similar to the dodge D 50 from that era.

Screenshot_20240320-185526(1).png

Edited by A modeler named mike
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CA Whitecloud said:

Gonna build a photo backdrop. Any tips on weathering these kinds of objects? I want the barrels and ice machine to look used.

image.thumb.jpeg.84ed06b90c31b4070cd6cae73dfc034f.jpeg

i tend to give everything a coat of matt clear before i do any weathering. i find it seems to work better on a matt surface for weathering as subtlety is the key. adding a little at a time and slowly building it up works best too as it easy to over do it. as for products i have various, from crushed up chalks and charcoals through tamiya weathering products and i like them. the tamiya weathering pencils are very subtle but build up well, if slowly, the ak enamels weathering liquids are nice to work with a a little goes a long way but they can turn some clears white if they sit for long. ak also do some faded paints. if you have a dollar shop have a look at the eye shadows, theres some cheap ones that work for dust effects but you need to make sure they are matt as most have a slight metallic sheen. dry brushing works too but i find i have more sucess with enamels for it. you an also make rust dust if you have those soap filled wire scrubbing pads. rinse all the soap out of them and put them in white vinegar until it evaporates and leaves you a rusty lump of black wire. you can crush this into dust for weathering or use it over sticky paint in the same way you would do flocking/emossing powder. gather different colours of dirt too, it can be dried out and used as weathering powder too and theres loads of it just laying around the ground for free. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

While looking for other Plymouth arrow kits I found this. Even though it's not a kit its still kinda cool. I wasn't aware they produced a pickup. Looks similar to the dodge D 50 from that era.

Screenshot_20240320-185526(1).png

I believe Chrysler owned Mitsubishi back in the 70's 80's !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, milo1303s said:

I believe Chrysler owned Mitsubishi back in the 70's 80's !!!

They didn’t own them, but had several joint ventures that lead to rebadged Mitsubishis sold as Chrysler products. Think Plymouth Arrow, Dodge Colt, Dodge Ram 50, 2nd gen Dodge Challenger and Plymouth Sapporo, Conquest, etc.  The relationship lasted a long time.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

They didn’t own them, but had several joint ventures that lead to rebadged Mitsubishis sold as Chrysler products. Think Plymouth Arrow, Dodge Colt, Dodge Ram 50, 2nd gen Dodge Challenger and Plymouth Sapporo, Conquest, etc.  The relationship lasted a long time.  

they did it in europe too. in the uk we got renault trucks badged as dodges, you got our hillman avenger badged as the plymouth cricket. but isn't that the chrysler strategy, sell old european chassis with mopar badges? have you seen the mopar we get? its based on the mk1 new fiat 500 and isn't pretty, lol

55 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT too.  

I had one...base model as insurance carriers were not the friend of a single, male and under 30 when I bought it (even with a clean driving record).  The car was cursed as I bought it from a guy who had two kids, his new wife also had two and they made two more.  I sold it due to parenthood as well.

• Like 1

Spotted this cool display case on Amazon, and it was super cheap so I picked one up to see how it looked…

(Only just fits in my photobooth so excuse the pics…)

IMG_9422.thumb.jpeg.e48694df840b353a366c2ca9eb443fab.jpeg

IMG_9423.thumb.jpeg.388268397cdc040b38b5f299547ed455.jpeg

Looks kinda 60s-futuristic, which I liked - comes with some battery powered LEDs and some stand-offs so you can display whatever you put in it at an angle or elevated from the base.  Plus, they’re stackable, which I liked…it’s a little too tall for one regular car build, and a little too tight for two, but I got a Deuce and a T Bucket in there ok

IMG_9421.thumb.jpeg.cc1e2f14337912037ce4a1ae8f08fca2.jpeg

Would make a cool little display for the right project… 

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Spotted this cool display case on Amazon, and it was super cheap so I picked one up to see how it looked…

(Only just fits in my photobooth so excuse the pics…)

IMG_9422.thumb.jpeg.e48694df840b353a366c2ca9eb443fab.jpeg

IMG_9423.thumb.jpeg.388268397cdc040b38b5f299547ed455.jpeg

Looks kinda 60s-futuristic, which I liked - comes with some battery powered LEDs and some stand-offs so you can display whatever you put in it at an angle or elevated from the base.  Plus, they’re stackable, which I liked…it’s a little too tall for one regular car build, and a little too tight for two, but I got a Deuce and a T Bucket in there ok

IMG_9421.thumb.jpeg.cc1e2f14337912037ce4a1ae8f08fca2.jpeg

Would make a cool little display for the right project… 

something with an old skool sci fi vibe could be cool in that

I got some 30 awg wire (seamed to be the right gauge) off of Amazon. It was super cheap for a lot and in 5 different colors. This wire will be used for my first time doing wires on engines.20240321_055331.thumb.jpg.6053dd78eea70f736cda8fd30b903916.jpg20240321_055326.thumb.jpg.3251be37460e132019ccc0383ff02ba6.jpg20240321_055318.thumb.jpg.5dbd468b10834547aa51a1435502b9d0.jpg

• Like 1

popped into the local motor factors today to get some alligator clips as i just dont have enough hands. thought i'd get some primers/undercoats while i was there as i only have filler primer left. the blues were all reduced to 2.50 so i grabbed a few since they were cheap but the pic isnt showing the pearls. all are from the duplicolour high impact colours and have some nice flops to them.

DSC09184.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Also arriving in today's mail. This required a cross border international incident to acquire, as once the run of 100 pcs sells out they become instant unobtanoum.

received_275809325563804.jpeg.f20f7b01bf6d180942ab3630e9857bf9.jpeg

Nice wagon! What border did you have to cross to get it?

43 minutes ago, Zen said:

Nice wagon! What border did you have to cross to get it?

The Cannuck one to the North. I was watching one at one of my usual suspects once Alpha themselves run out and of course someone bought it out from under me over the weekend when I went to grab it on a Monday.

3 hours ago, deuces wild said:

I gotta get me one of gallery air brushes....

Although it looks the same, it is not a Gaahleri airbrush. It is a DragonAir Model DA04 Airbrush 0.5mm trigger action. I'm not sure if this is a private branded product for SMS.

I bought two of the Gaahleri trigger style airbrushes, a GHAD-68 and a Swallowtail. I really like them both. If you go with a Gaahleri, the Swallowtail would be my recommendation.

Edited by Bill Eh?
+ info
  • Like 2

All I got at Heritagcom in Hamilton today. Lots of last years vendors weren’t there and it was mostly military and aircraft items. They were twenty dollars each and it was twenty dollars each for my wife and I to enter IMG_7580.thumb.jpeg.faa2df62e8b814930bcb657a11ffd67b.jpegso it was an eighty dollar day…my wife bought breakfast so that eased the sting 😂

• Like 1