Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

With all the talk about Micheal's and Hobby Lobby having kits on discount. I held off as long as I could. But curiosity killed the cat. So I did 100 miles today checking out the closest stores to me.

The 2 Micheals. One had kits but not at discount. The 2nd one had no kits what so ever. And the remains of their Testors paint just on a shelf. That store doesn't look like they are going to carry them anymore. That store wasn't very big. 

The 2 Hobby Lobby's. One store had one Revell Motor City Muscle 1966 Mustang kit for $14.99. I have 2 built already. So I passed on it. And both stores had their shelves full of the same kits from the past few years. 

While near a distant Ollies. I stopped in and found an AMT 007 1971 Mustang kit. Only car kit that store had.

So I got one kit in my trip which is better than none right?

And I looked for Tamiya polishing compounds at both Hobby Lobby's. None. And they had some new pen type things. I can't described them any better than that because the labeling was in Chinese. So I couldn't read it. 

007 mustang.jpg

Edited by ewetwo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

With all the talk about Micheal's and Hobby Lobby having kits on discount. I held off as long as I could. But curiosity killed the cat. So I did 100 miles today checking out the closest stores to me.

The 2 Micheals. One had kits but not at discount. The 2nd one had no kits what so ever. And the remains of their Testors paint just on a shelf. That store doesn't look like they are going to carry them anymore. That store wasn't very big. 

The 2 Hobby Lobby's. One store had one Revell Motor City Muscle 1966 Mustang kit for $14.99. I have 2 built already. So I passed on it. And both stores had their shelves full of the same kits from the past few years. 

While near a distant Ollies. I stopped in and found an AMT 007 1971 Mustang kit. Only car kit that store had.

So I got one kit in my trip which is better than none right?

And I looked for Tamiya polishing compounds at both Hobby Lobby's. None. And they had some new pen type things. I can't described them any better than that because the labeling was in Chinese. So I couldn't read it. 

007 mustang.jpg

With the price of gas right now, that kit, including the trip, would have cost me about $40

I'm lucky that my car gets 30 mpg on the highway which was most of the trip. But you are right Joe. Plus the stores in NYS are asking people if they want to round the total up for whatever charity they are collecting for. So the kit cost me $15 with state tax.

16 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I'm lucky that my car gets 30 mpg on the highway which was most of the trip. But you are right Joe. Plus the stores in NYS are asking people if they want to round the total up for whatever charity they are collecting for. So the kit cost me $15 with state tax.

Sometimes it’s nice to get out take a drive and look at kits.  Hobby Lobby can do better but they don’t .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Sometimes it’s nice to get out take a drive and look at kits.  Hobby Lobby can do better but they don’t .

True Carl. It was a nice day. Sun was out. Snow on the ground so I couldn't do any tree branch cleanup. And I think Hobby Lobby must buy huge quantities. 

Just arrived from a deal. 63 Olds and the 62 Galaxie for a great price. Both nice, clean examples.

Plans are to keep both.like they are for now. This makes my second 63 Olds. The other I have will eventually become a mild custom.

Later-

20240327_131636.jpg

20240327_131651.jpg

20240327_131702.jpg

20240327_131715.jpg

20240327_131734.jpg

20240327_131809.jpg

20240327_131909.jpg

20240327_131950.jpg

20240327_132008.jpg

20240327_132037.jpg

20240327_132045.jpg

20240327_132017.jpg

20240327_132030.jpg

• Like 5

Well, there are kits I have trouble leaving on the store shelves, especially if the price is right. I was at Ollie's and came home with 2 more '40 Ford Coupes and 4 USPS Pinto's.

I'm sick..... sick I say.

• Like 1

The latest to my growing promo fleet. A Hubley 1960 Ford sedan that I got off of E Bay an hour ago and for a song. It's missing the right windshield pillar which I can rectify w/o issues and part of the rear bumper is gone but a good used one from my parts stash is on deck to replace it. Here it is from E Bay. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 2