Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Got the NOS '63 Riviera engine yesterday; noticed there was some kind of name on the custom finned valve covers, but when I looked very closely it was just random letters. Odd... maybe they couldn't get permission from the maker in time for production.

What are the letters? Maybe they wouldn't appear random to someone else. No guarantee. Why not give it a try? 

5 hours ago, slusher said:

IMG_3843.JPG

Scott my I ask what you may have heard about the AMT Porsche 928??   i like the 928 myself...

Scott posted a review of the AMT kit in that part of the forum, and I'll second the opinion its pretty bad.  (I think the steering wheel is about the only good part).  If you want a full-detail 928 then the Gunze kit is the one to look for.  Its old and hasnt been re-released for as long as I remember but its about the only one that has complete running gear.

2019102095151215.jpg

Edited by djflyer

I dunno why but earlier today i went to the Ben Franklin/B&F store downtown and bought a little jar bottle of Cobalt Blue paint and two packs of paint brushes since paint brushes at the store are always small and thin.

Thinking about painting my 1957 Chevy Bel Air car model a cobalt blue color. Dunno why lol.

Received this eBay purchase few days ago. Quite a clean build and easy to disassemble as chassis wasn't glued in. Unfortunately rear wheel arches hacked slightly but I should have a solution to that issue. I'm considering doing this as a Nickey Stage III inspired car but am battling to find info on the '69 Nickey cars as they seem not to have built too many.

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

My latest. Cool kit, weird box.

That's called the "Art Box."  Based on the art used on a vintage issue of that kit.  The original issue with that box art was in the 1970's IIRC.

Weird color too.  "Molded in Orange."  These kits were also available in white plastic.  When I lived in Los Angeles, a big local hobby shop got in 2 stacks of these kits. One stack white, the other orange.  The "molded in white" kits sold out instantly.  The orange ones sat on the shelf for months, until the store put them on deep discount.  Which is when I bought one.  I didn't need another '40 Coupe, but it's one of my favorite kits. And I figured having another wouldn't hurt.

The same thing happened with the Chevy Fire Rescue Van "Art Box" kit.  They were molded in white or red plastic.  The white ones flew off the shelves.  Here in SC, the only hobby shop within 50 miles still has some of the molded-in-red kits sitting on the shelf.  Right beside the molded-in-orange '70 Camaro...

19 minutes ago, br67 said:

I found this old advert and these 2 reference pics 

D179583C-1861-4C01-9355-CC6357D3F442.jpeg

3A318D54-0A4E-4F2B-87E8-20C8BA73BFEC.jpeg

50906F9E-5B98-4884-A3E6-41ECF61A69A5.jpeg

Well you've got more than I do, then. I checked the COPO book and the All American Musclecars book, which has as much info on Nickey as anything I've ever seen, and neither of them mention anything about Nickey '69 Camaros though both have quite a bit about their '67s. I'm sure Nickey dealt some COPO 9561s. I suppose you could do just about any kind of "Day 2" work you want on a '69 Camaro and call it a Nickey. B)

On 4/18/2020 at 9:01 AM, Mike999 said:

That's called the "Art Box."  Based on the art used on a vintage issue of that kit.  The original issue with that box art was in the 1970's IIRC.

Weird color too.  "Molded in Orange."  These kits were also available in white plastic.  When I lived in Los Angeles, a big local hobby shop got in 2 stacks of these kits. One stack white, the other orange.  The "molded in white" kits sold out instantly.  The orange ones sat on the shelf for months, until the store put them on deep discount.  Which is when I bought one.  I didn't need another '40 Coupe, but it's one of my favorite kits. And I figured having another wouldn't hurt.

The same thing happened with the Chevy Fire Rescue Van "Art Box" kit.  They were molded in white or red plastic.  The white ones flew off the shelves.  Here in SC, the only hobby shop within 50 miles still has some of the molded-in-red kits sitting on the shelf.  Right beside the molded-in-orange '70 Camaro...

Thanks for the info. When the box arrived in the mail, I was just sure they'd screwed up the order.

Curiosity got the better of me - picked up some Totally Awesome to test out:

F605B00E-6F8E-4240-AB37-ED2D08107133.thumb.jpeg.359ac3494cbf22d64d551e9c13772f36.jpeg

You know it’s gonna be good if the first item on the list of things it will clean is blood stains ?

5FFBF61E-F78C-438D-96F9-15308810EB5E.thumb.jpeg.a6563ee0b2f8214223651a269663976e.jpeg

How well it strips paint still remains to be seen, but it works on chrome ok anyway!

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Curiosity got the better of me - picked up some Totally Awesome to test out:

F605B00E-6F8E-4240-AB37-ED2D08107133.thumb.jpeg.359ac3494cbf22d64d551e9c13772f36.jpeg

You know it’s gonna be good if the first item on the list of things it will clean is blood stains ?

5FFBF61E-F78C-438D-96F9-15308810EB5E.thumb.jpeg.a6563ee0b2f8214223651a269663976e.jpeg

How well it strips paint still remains to be seen, but it works on chrome ok anyway!

i tried it with no luck. wow i just noticed $2.99 for that bottle, the same bottle cost $1 in Ga. and a gallon will cost you $5

Edited by Scott8950

29 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

i tried it with no luck. wow i just noticed $2.99 for that bottle, the same bottle cost $1 in Ga. and a gallon will cost you $5

Welcome to New York prices ??.  Where we live a dollar slice costs $3, so this is about normal ??

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...