Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Bought these two AMT '66 Mustang fastbacks off eBay last week. 

#1: Looks like maybe the OB was trying to model the real Tasca Ford '65 racer, working from B&W pics. (The real car appears to have been painted Vintage Burgundy to match their '64 Thunderbolt.) The rear wheel openings have been hogged out but that's fixable. I originally planned to strip and rebuild this one from the ground up, but it's kind of growing on me, and I might see if I can clean it up and Snake-Fu it into a presentable survivor. Black is easy to touch up. (The white GT stripe decals on the rockers are in bad enough shape that they'll have to go, though.) Has a complete engine, the Shelby-ish grille (the emblem is backwards), custom front pan, and the desirable Torq-Thrust wheels. Should be an interesting project. 

66MustangFBBlack02.jpg.1de4186d2b91689a50f78fd9ea9ee864.jpg

66MustangFBBlack06.jpg.89e095b04a45a3df873503f81f49ca76.jpg

66MustangFBBlack09.jpg.d5dea1909cecbf1df3535066b9eedd77.jpg

#2: This one was billed on eBay as a "funny car," but the only thing "funny" about it is that the OB had glued some mounting tabs on the chassis so he could run the wire axles BELOW the chassis. Easily undone!  I was SHOCKED when I took this one out of the box, as it looked MUCH better than the eBay pics. On screen, it looked like the paint was very thin, or perhaps had been partially removed by sanding or chemical. The paint (seems to be Pactra Leaf Green) is actually in pretty decent shape as these things go (looks better in 3D than it does in these pics, even), and I think it will respond well to a light polish. This is meaningful to me because one of my first model cars was this very model, brush-painted with Pactra Leaf Green! This one looks a bit better than my original. It's got the "Shelby" grille, custom front pan, custom rear bumperless pan, and the (kit-included) '65 Thunderbird taillights. Biggest glitch is that the roof vents have been cut out '66 GT350-style, and it wasn't done perfectly, but I think I can come up with some sort of fix for that. I think it'll clean up into a nice "survivor" custom--it won't look quite as nice as the teal '65 that I restored last year, but it should look cool sitting on the shelf next to it. I need to find some kind of cool period-correct custom wheels for it. I think this one might go to the top of my "To Do" list. 

66MustangFBGreen03.jpg.92dbef6f0c10de6fff76f8039bd3f259.jpg

66MustangFBGreen05.jpg.69760a919b646ce100819421e2bae8ff.jpg

Snake45 those Mustangs looks to be in pretty good shape.  I have picked up some gluebombs along the way of original 65-66 fastbacks but my goal was to strip and rebuild them in a fatory color.  Good luck with yours and hit me up if you are missing a critical part I can look to see if my have extras.  My project for today and tomorrow is to inventory all my older kits to document what I have because sometimes what I store in the model box has nothing to do with what came in it.  Keep us updated.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yes! This is part of the series of early Fords Monogram started in early 1960s. One of my favorite series, I’ve built five of them in the past few years and have hoarded many more!

Ah, so your part of the reason the rest of us can't find one. I too loved that kit. That whole series of kits was pretty good. 

Edited by unclescott58

Into today's mail: 1. An AMT '66 Thunderbird. Haven't built this kit since this edition of the kit first came out. What is that? Over thirty years now? Felt it was time to do another. I've never really been happy with the one I did at the time. I painted it with black Testors' enamel back then. I feel I can do a better job today using the newer lacquers. And really want the Bird done in a Dark Blue.

2. Three cans of Tamiya Olive Drab spray paint. I got several military vehicles sitting in the wings, just waiting for paint. They need to wait no longer. 

3. I got the game Mille Bornes. Not model related directly. But, it is car related. Being a car nut, I loved this game when I first encountered it back in the summer of 1972. Staying with one of my cousins that summer, we played it with a friend of his quite a bit. If your a car nut, and have never played the game, your missing out on one of best. It's still great. 

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

On 4/23/2020 at 11:47 AM, espo said:

I have always wondered why Revell or some other company has never issued a Super 88 hardtop like this. 

That is a good question. I am sure there are or were plenty of kids that would have built a kit of dads car that was not a Chevy. but still a GM. 

Well, the 1955 Buick "Century 68" made it to the diecast world. You would think that it would have sold in the plastic world as well as the Mobeus Hudsons or the Revell 50 Olds, but it probably would be harder to get multiple kit versions from.

I bought this mainly for the engine, although I do plan to build it stock. I really like the lines of these cars and in my mind they are WAY nicer than any later version. This I think is one of the most under-rated sleepers, with that 454 under the hood!

226842A8-4D1A-4068-9BA2-AE252F6362E5.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Ah, so your part of the reason the rest of us can't find one. I too loved that kit. That whole series of kits was pretty good. 

Guilty of this also Scott. Love the card game you picked up. Spent many an hour playing Mille Bornes even as an adult.  Definitely a car game.  

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'm also part of the problem then, I've got a few of these monogram kits

Guilty here too!  Just checked. I have 4 of the '30 Coupes and 2 Phaetons, 1 unbuilt and 1 built that I'll probably rework into a jalopy.  The hardest kits to find were the Cabriolet and the Yellow Jacket. Found the Cabriolet "Special Interest Series" version at a kit show for a reasonable price.  Found the Yellow Jacket not long ago, with almost 2 complete kits in the box but some gluing. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I always thought Glocks looked and felt like something that should be sold in blister packages on hooks at Walmart. I see it's finally happening. :lol:

Not to disappoint, but I didnt get it at WalMart?

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I bought this mainly for the engine, although I do plan to build it stock. I really like the lines of these cars and in my mind they are WAY nicer than any later version. This I think is one of the most under-rated sleepers, with that 454 under the hood!

226842A8-4D1A-4068-9BA2-AE252F6362E5.jpeg

I have to agree with you on this Monte Carlo. This is pretty much a Chevelle with an extended wheel base with the extra WB from the Firewall forward. Many years ago I picked up an 80k mile one owner Monte with the 350 and while it was no drag car it could run with most other cars of the time and pulled my little boat as if it wasn't even there. They were great riding highway cars also. I did replace the springs and sway bars with OEM F41 suspension pieces and added 15 by 8 Corvette Rally Wheels and 235/60x15 Radials. I should never have sold it. Anyway this is a really nice kit and you should enjoy it. 

8 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Guilty here too!  Just checked. I have 4 of the '30 Coupes and 2 Phaetons, 1 unbuilt and 1 built that I'll probably rework into a jalopy.  The hardest kits to find were the Cabriolet and the Yellow Jacket. Found the Cabriolet "Special Interest Series" version at a kit show for a reasonable price.  Found the Yellow Jacket not long ago, with almost 2 complete kits in the box but some gluing. 

I didn't know there was a phaeton, gonna have to find one of them now

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I didn't know there was a phaeton, gonna have to find one of them now

It's been reissued a few times, but not as often as the Coupe. I believe the pic of the "Touring Street Rod" below was the last re-issue of the Phaeton, and that was a few years ago. This version does not have the stock engine or wheels. But those can be stolen from the Coupe, if you want a stock Phaeton.

I also forgot to mention the '30 Ford Woody.  It was never issued as a stocker, only as a hot rod with a small block Chevy V8. 

Here's an old thread about the Monogram '30 Fords:

30-Phae.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit2

My Walmart was restocked on the DecoColor Premium Silver Leaf Markers (they haven't had them since I bought my first one about two months ago), so I grabbed two more. You know what they say--if something's any good, they'll stop making it (or Walmart will stop carrying it). 

This is the thing that's about 90% as shiny as Molotow, but dries faster, is more durable, and costs 1/4 as much. Highly recommended. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...