Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

If I only knew how to get pics off my darned phone. Yesterday I got in the mail a 71 AMC wagon from Too Many Projects and a 66 Buick Skylark body which was painted white and I believe it to be a resin mold, possibly from Modelhaus. The wagon from TMP is just awesome.

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

Ford had more colors in their standard line up in addition to what was available on the T bird. Documentation shows that any color from Ford could be special ordered, so another blue would be correct. This is the case for Cameo Coral and Tropical Rose T birds one would see. Look at 55 Ford paint chips and choose the blue you like and call it a special order.

Yep. As you know in my thread under Model Building Questions and Answers, on the 1955 Thunderbird Colors. We address this subject in farther detail there. You posted a great response showing a regular Ford color chart. And got me thinking about going with Aquatone Blue. 

Edited by unclescott58

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

This came yesterday . Never saw it before so I pulled the trigger . It’s a Bandai kit in a weird scale at 1!28 th.  Body looks pretty good . No engine and don’t know about the other pieces yet . 

5C9BFAA4-00C1-45CA-8501-6AD15E0784E9.jpeg

6F77F839-8EE1-4637-81F1-1B763DE57DF4.jpeg

Very cool. I know a lot of people don't. But, I love that generation Mustang. 

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Nice score Ray.  A friend in Japan sent me this odd kit in the 1990s.  Yes the scale is weird but the body is more acurate than the AMT or MPC kits.  The chassis is typical toylike.  I built this maybe 20 years ago and I need to touch up the decals that have flaked off due to age and handling.   I may add some 351 ram air decals while I am at it.

P.S.  You do not have to paint yours yellow. ?

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7784.JPG

IMG_7785.JPG

IMG_7639.JPG

A very nice job on your build above. But then again, I'm not surprised. I'm just surprised to learn about this kit. And see how nice it builds. Despite the odd scale, I may have hunt one down. 

Edited by unclescott58

3 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

A very nice job on your build above. But then again, I'm not surprised. I'm just surprised to learn about this kit. And see how nice it builds. Despite the odd scale, I may have hunt one down. 

I see two on eBay right now. The cheapest starting at $80.00 plus shipping from Australia. The other over $100.00. Both are a little rich for my blood for this subject right now. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers cross for the rumored Round 2, James Bond, Diamonds Are Forever Mach 1. But, I'm not going to hold my breath. 

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I see two on eBay right now. The cheapest starting at $80.00 plus shipping from Australia. The other over $100.00. Both are a little rich for my blood for this subject right now. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers cross for the rumored Round 2, James Bond, Diamonds Are Forever Mach 1. But, I'm not going to hold my breath. 

I had not heard the R2 rumor but typically any of the AMT or MPC 71-73 molds end up having a 73 bumper and maybe a 72 grille (like in the MPC "Boss" 351 kit).  Of course the movie car had a 429 CJ engine which would not be the kit either.  You may expect Diamonds but we will get Cubic Zirconia.  ?

IMG_7798.JPG

Edited by vamach1

9 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I had not heard the R2 rumor but typically any of the AMT or MPC 71-73 molds end up having a 73 bumper and maybe a 72 grille (like in the MPC "Boss" 351 kit).  Of course the movie car had a 427 CJ engine which would not be the kit either.  You may expect Diamonds but we will get Cubic Zironia.  ?

IMG_7798.JPG

Remember, the MPC Boss 351 was done under Ertl's watch, if not before. I don't think Round 2 would do a stinker like that. They fixed the front end of the AMT '70 Camaro. And now are doing a full bumper, non RS version of the same. Round 2 brought the the '73 Mach I back. And have retooled parts to bring back several other old car kits. So I have some hope, if they do the James Bond Diamonds Are Forever '71 Mach I they will do it right. Only time will tell. And we don't really know if the rumor of the Bond car is true.

Oh, you gotta laugh!

What got me all excited today? For the first time in two months Walmart had the little paper bathroom cups I  use for painting and other operations in the model room! So I grabbed a pack of 250.  I’ve been completely out and after multiple reuses, the ones I had were getting crusty!

Oh boy! DHL just delivered a model I wasn't expecting for about another month or so. Because of a slow down of things coming out of Japan, caused by the Covid-19 virus. At least that's what the vendor out of Japan told me. Yet here it is. After waiting for only about two weeks. Which I think is a very reasonable time for models coming from Japan under normal circumstances. 

The model? Hasegawa's 1/24 scale Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22-MQ 1970)), with "Production Type Steel Wheel." "Steel Wheel"? Their spelling. I've always liked the 1st Celicas sold in the United States. But, good luck in finding a kit representing one sold in this country. The Japanese model makers make a few different variations of the car. But none with left hand drive, much less a US spec version. This kit is the closest I can find. I think the Japanese model makers are missing the boat on this one (pun intended). I have a feeling a few US spec Japanese model cars might sell fairly well here. 

My plans? I will be building the car as the Japanese spec model shown on the box. At the same time, I going with th color in the photo with the Celica sitting by the Camaro. A cool photo showing how both cars compare. And why the early Celicas were pretty popular, even here. 

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

I have always liked Celicas and owned a 1995 Celica GT Convertible for a while.  My first experience with one was a first gen car like this.  I was a freshman in high school, think 1973. I used to walk to and from school as the high school was about a mile away on the same road we lived on.  As I walked home one afternoon, a Celica came to a halt. I saw my teacher Mr Cowen behind the wheel and motioning me to get in and he'd drive me home.  I had no idea what a Celica was at that point, but I got in the car.  He took off like a bat out of hell and I remember him going through the gears.  This is a 25 MPH country road and he must've hit 50 before we arrived at my house.   My high school was only 4 years old at that point so the teachers were all in their 20s and often got mistaken for students.  Mr Cowen was a young guy with a hot car and out to impress!   

32 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have always liked Celicas and owned a 1995 Celica GT Convertible for a while.  My first experience with one was a first gen car like this.  I was a freshman in high school, think 1973. I used to walk to and from school as the high school was about a mile away on the same road we lived on.  As I walked home one afternoon, a Celica came to a halt. I saw my teacher Mr Cowen behind the wheel and motioning me to get in and he'd drive me home.  I had no idea what a Celica was at that point, but I got in the car.  He took off like a bat out of hell and I remember him going through the gears.  This is a 25 MPH country road and he must've hit 50 before we arrived at my house.   My high school was only 4 years old at that point so the teachers were all in their 20s and often got mistaken for students.  Mr Cowen was a young guy with a hot car and out to impress!   

The sad thing is, is today if you innocently picked up a student like your Mr. Cowen did back then, and somebody found out about it. You'd be fired the very next day. Too many people have done too many non-innocent things with students, one can not take the chance of doing things like that anymore. In general, I have nothing to do with any of my students outside of school business. I only see one student outside of school on a regular basis who works at a fast food restaurant I frequent. Other than that.... nothing. No contact. It's kind of sad. Yet understandable. 

2 hours ago, ranma said:

Got one of my holy grail kit's today, and It will be built !!! It will not be the gold color either.

s-l1600 (46).jpg

s-l1600 (47).jpg

I have a couple of AMT '76 Caprices with much the same trailer and extras. Thankfully they are done in White Plastic. The Trailers look identical. Makes you wonder if the AMT's might be a redo of the MPS kits.  

DHL isn't the the only one dropping off cool things at my door. The mail carrier had these three things for me. 

The Lincoln I decided to get, because I'm not happy with the one I built about 25 years ago. Way to much orange peel in the paint. Time to try again. This time with lacquer paint, so I know I'll have no orange peel. 

The '66 Bird is a a Promo. Recently I've been on a '66 Thunderbird buying spree. I was surprised to several of these in nice shape on eBay, all at reasonable prices. Ford must have ordered too many from AMT at the time in this Red color. '66 T-Bird promos seem to go for much higher prices in other colors. Well, I like the Red. So I was willing to pay the lower price. By the way, the seller claimed this car to be a 9 out 10. Other than lacking the original box, I'd say it's a 9 1/2 out of 10. I'm very pleased. 

The Corvair I just like. One of my favorite show cars of the 1950's. At least in my top five or so. So I had to get it. 

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

3 hours ago, ranma said:

Got one of my holy grail kit's today, and It will be built !!! It will not be the gold color either.

s-l1600 (46).jpg

s-l1600 (47).jpg

Lucky son of a gun. My number grail kit is the '72 Impala. I got a beat up '73 Caprice glue bomb a few years. I'm working at turning into a copy of the rare Royal Canadian Mounted Police patrol car that MPC also offered in 1973. 

IMG_1887.JPG

14 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

DHL isn't the the only one dropping off cool things at my door. The mail carrier had these three things for me. 

The Lincoln I decided to get, because I'm not happy with the one I built about 25 years ago. Way to much orange peel in the paint. Time to try again. This time with lacquer paint, so I know I'll have no orange peel. 

The '66 Bird is a a Promo. Recently I've been on a '66 Thunderbird buying spree. I was surprised to several of these in nice shape on eBay, all at reasonable prices. Ford must have ordered too many from AMT at the time in this Red color. '66 T-Bird promos seem to go for much higher prices in other colors. Well, I like the Red. So I was willing to pay the lower price. By the way, the seller claimed this car to be a 9 out 10. Other than lacking the original box, I'd say it's a 9 1/2 out of 10. I'm very pleased. 

The Corvair I just like. One of my favorite show cars of the 1950's. At least in my top five or so. So I had to get it. 

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

I like the T-birds and Lincolns from that era. A friend of my moms had a 64 T-bird convertible that she used to take me for rides in, and my dad had both a 61 and a 62 Lincoln continental.  One of our neighbors had a Convertible.  I just picked up the wagon parts from that 65 kit in hope's to make a phantom wagon out of something.

Edited by Sam I Am

Past week or so deliveries....  the '62 Bird is complete and not started.  The '60 Merc is missing just a couple of pieces of trim and the windshield frame is broke in the middle (actually repairing it today ?), otherwise complete and not started.  The '59 Johan Fury is a restoration candidate that I picked up.  Not too bad actually.

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5741 (1).jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

23 hours ago, espo said:

I have a couple of AMT '76 Caprices with much the same trailer and extras. Thankfully they are done in White Plastic. The Trailers look identical. Makes you wonder if the AMT's might be a redo of the MPS kits.  

No wonder about it, of coarse it's a reissue of the MPC kit. 

Here's the original release of the '76,,

MPC '76 NEW CHEVY CAPRICE SEALED VERY, VERY, RARE ORIGINAL ISSUE ...

and here's the last reissue from Round 2 , , 

mpc 1/25 '76 chevrolet caprice reissue open unbuilt kit | #1505542835

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

No wonder about it, of coarse it's a reissue of the MPC kit. 

Here's the original release of the '76,,

MPC '76 NEW CHEVY CAPRICE SEALED VERY, VERY, RARE ORIGINAL ISSUE ...

and here's the last reissue from Round 2 , , 

mpc 1/25 '76 chevrolet caprice reissue open unbuilt kit | #1505542835

I can't pull up the attachments, but that is what I was thinking. Thank you for the conformation on them being the same. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...