Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

21 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I doubt it. I'm guilty of buying more than I'll ever get around building. I rarely buy without the intention of building though. And surprising how much I do get done. 

That made me think... this year I’ve completed five models so far.. and I have two Jeepsters on the bench right now. 

In January I pushed myself to finish my Blue Beetle before the 24 Hour Build, where a built a Falcon modified stocker. Then this whole covid mess hit and I built the three 1950 Chevy pickups. 

And as far as my purchase to build ratio, I’m up five and pushing for seven. If my supply order arrives with the Tamiya semi gloss spray, I could finish my Trabant for eight. 

As for new kit purchases this year... I’ve bought absolutely nothing!  In a normal year I would’ve attended three shows by this time and would’ve bought a bunch of stuff, which would’ve blown that all to smithereens!

Its gonna be an interesting year!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

That made me think... this year I’ve completed five models so far.. and I have two Jeepsters on the bench right now. 

In January I pushed myself to finish my Blue Beetle before the 24 Hour Build, where a built a Falcon modified stocker. Then this whole covid mess hit and I built the three 1950 Chevy pickups. 

And as far as my purchase to build ratio, I’m up five and pushing for seven. If my supply order arrives with the Tamiya semi gloss spray, I could finish my Trabant for eight. 

As for new kit purchases this year... I’ve bought absolutely nothing!  In a normal year I would’ve attended three shows by this time and would’ve bought a bunch of stuff, which would’ve blown that all to smithereens!

Its gonna be an interesting year!

Might actually get to the bottom of a stack?

I haven't bought much but I have traded a lot so far this year. I can actually only recall buying a couple. So far this year I have built 4(?) and about ready to finish another. The good thing about this latest build is that I am using up things from my parts boxes. But there is no fear of running short on those.

Later-

33 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Today's mail delivery...  complete unbuilt.  Never thought I'd like doing convertibles, but they're growing on me ?

IMG-5781.JPG

That's a beauty! I restored a '65 convertible last year, and have a couple '66 HT promos and glue bombs coming up for rework, but haven't been able to score a '66 convert yet. 

2 hours ago, hedotwo said:

Today's mail delivery...  complete unbuilt.  Never thought I'd like doing convertibles, but they're growing on me ?

IMG-5781.JPG

Wow! I've got say I'm more than little jealous. Congratulations. I hope you'll post the build on line here, so we can more.  

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Might actually get to the bottom of a stack?

I don’t think that will be happening with my hoard!

Funny thing, there was a post on one of the Facebook model groups by a guy who posted, “I’m happy I stocked up for times like these!”    His photo had less than 10 kits in it.  

On 5/11/2020 at 10:07 PM, stinkybritches said:

Received my order from Megahobby.com

20200511_220348.jpg

I thought that Mustang looked familiar..... The real one is posted on the front cover of the 2018 Ford's performance parts catalog..... I'll get a picture of it on my break and post it on here..... ??

In today's mail I got a kit I didn't even know existed until a week ago. It turns out that Hasegawa offers a 1/24 scale kit of an American market 1972 Datsun 240Z. The 240Z is one of those few Japanese cars I've always liked. The trouble with most models of the car, with the exception of the older Revell kit, is they almost always represent Japanese versions of the car, with RH drive. 

As noted, the Revell version at least represents the car as seen over here. I have built one in the past. And it's a nice kit. But, the one thing that's always bothered me about that kit, is that it could never be built completely stock. Revell's kit can almost be built stock, except one thing. The wheels. Revell's 240Z represents a day 2 car. Where the stock wheel covers have been exchanged for aftermarket wheels. The stock wheel covers were so unpopular, that you rarely saw a 240Z at the time, or now for that matter, with the them. Well guess who liked those wheel covers? Me. And the Hasegawa kit has them. 

So I had to buy this kit as soon as found out about it. A U.S. spec Datsun 240Z with the factory wheel covers. Plus I love the color blue. So the box art too, caught my attention. I'm going to attempt to build the the exterior of car close to the box art as I can. The only change from the box art, is I'll being doing the interior in black. I've never like the looks of white interiors. Plus in real life, they never seem to stay clean for very long. Yech. By the way, I even like the chessy looking outside mirror those cars came with. I feel it's in perfect harmony with over all beautiful look of car. Simple and clean. 

IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

32 minutes ago, slusher said:

What decals are you using on Ernie’s car?   What decals do you use most Jonathan? Trying to learn some friend..

I am going to use the set thats in the photo Carl, this is my second time buying both the kit and decals, the first set of decals cracked, ( something Slixx decals were known for in the 90s), but the first kit was wrapped a bit too,.

Powerslide for the moment, they are only ones that are actively producing new NASCAR decals and a large scale.

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I am going to use the set thats in the photo Carl, this is my second time buying both the kit and decals, the first set of decals cracked, ( something Slixx decals were known for in the 90s), but the first kit was wrapped a bit too,.

Powerslide for the moment, they are only ones that are actively producing new NASCAR decals and a large scale.

Thanks Jonathan....

Just bought an original annual AMT '66 Corvette hood and roadster hard top off eBay. Price seemed a little stiff at first and then I realized that it wasn't much more than I'd have paid Modelhaus for repros of these two items, AND then I'd have had to pay MH shipping, which was never cheap (shipping on the ones I bought today was FREE!), and MH didn't even have the C2 Vette hard tops in their parts list for the last couple years they were in business, which of course they've been out of for a couple years now. When I did the mental arithmetic, I could hardly hit the BUY IT NOW button fast enough! :D

The AMT '66 Vette hoods are particularly valuable because that's the only year that had the Corvette script on them. You NEED that hood even if you're trying to convert a common '63, or a less-common '65 or '67 to a '66. 

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Just bought an original annual AMT '66 Corvette hood and roadster hard top off eBay. Price seemed a little stiff at first and then I realized that it wasn't much more than I'd have paid Modelhaus for repros of these two items, AND then I'd have had to pay MH shipping, which was never cheap (shipping on the ones I bought today was FREE!), and MH didn't even have the C2 Vette hard tops in their parts list for the last couple years they were in business, which of course they've been out of for a couple years now. When I did the mental arithmetic, I could hardly hit the BUY IT NOW button fast enough! :D

The AMT '66 Vette hoods are particularly valuable because that's the only year that had the Corvette script on them. You NEED that hood even if you're trying to convert a common '63, or a less-common '65 or '67 to a '66. 

What a coincidence.  Minutes ago the mailman delivered a resin '66 Corvette hood with the Corvette script!  Now here is the weird part, on eBay it was listed as a stock AMT '63 hood but the picture was not of a '63 hood.  I took a chance that it was not a '63 and lucked out.  It is a nice casting with under hood detail too.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...