Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Plus I've got to find a use for all the paint I've been buying lately. 

IMG_4062.JPG

Golly gosh, what could you use some of that paint on? Hmmmmmmm.....lemme think.....

I got an idea. It's kinda crazy, but hear me out. Maybe you could use some of it on, uh, I dunno....MODEL CARS? :blink::lol:

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Golly gosh, what could you use some of that paint on? Hmmmmmmm.....lemme think.....

I got an idea. It's kinda crazy, but hear me out. Maybe you could use some of it on, uh, I dunno....MODEL CARS? :blink::lol:

That may not be a bad idea. Now that you mention it. I knew there was a point to buying that paint. But, I'm getting old and forgeting more and more things..... You know, I've got a lot of Model paint. I wonder what I can do with it?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:58 AM, dbostream said:

I created an Excel sheet for just this purpose including what I paid for each kit. When I saw the total I spent on kits I regretted creating it. ;)

I am sure you are aware of https://www.scalemates.com/ I think it works well to get an overview of your stash.

I recommend scalemates too. It comes in handy when I am at Hobby Lobby or a LHS. I check my stash database (via smart phone) on scalemates to make sure I am not spending money on something I already have (and forgot about). It also reminds me I already have 182 kits to build. (Saves money for other things)

I know Snake was joking about whether or not I'm building the models I've been purchasing. Here's a little proof. I'm not just showing this to prove I'm building models. But, to also show you an idea of what you have to do if you plan on building ICM/Revell's 1/24 scale Opel Admiral Saloon model. With its multi piece body. 

IMG_4063.JPG

I know Snake was joking about whether or not I'm building the models I've been purchasing. Here's a little proof. I'm not just showing this to prove I'm building models. But, to also show you an idea of what you have to do if you plan on building ICM/Revell's 1/24 scale Opel Admiral Saloon model. With its multi piece body. 

IMG_4063.JPG

I know you've built airplane models, so multi-piece construction shouldn't bother you at all. Drive on! B)

(What's that putty? It looks like cake frosting. You're making me hungry!) :lol:

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I know you've built airplane models, so multi-piece construction shouldn't bother you at all. Drive on! B)

(What's that putty? It looks like cake frosting. You're making me hungry!) :lol:

It is cake frosting. You see, my cooking and baking skills are that bad, that I found my frosting made better putty than an eating byproduct. 

No, in reality it Testors much maligned Contour Putty. "Mastic de decoupe." I've been using the stuff for years with great results. 

IMG_4064.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

Here we go again. Today it's another model. Hellen's 1/43 scale Porsche 928. Another can of paint. Tamiya AS-8, Navy Blue. (For AMT's F4U-1 Corsair, Snake.) And two car books. One, Profile Publications' book on the Ford GT. Published in 1967, before the Mk IV. The other a Brooklands Book, The Complete WW2 Military Jeep Manual. To help with two Jeep kits I'm working. 

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

Another can of paint. Tamiya AS-8, Navy Blue. (For AMT's F4U-1 Corsair, Snake.) 

Which AMT Corsair? Their own "Birdcage" from the '70s, or the Otaki/ARII F4U-1A they reboxed and sold in the early '90s? Overall "Navy blue" isn't a correct factory or combat scheme for either one of them, BUT "war-weary" examples of both were rebuilt and so painted for Stateside training from late 1944 or so, so it IS possible to do an accurate model painted that way. 

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Here we go again. Today it's another model. Hellen's 1/43 scale Porsche 928. Another can of paint. Tamiya AS-8, Navy Blue. (For AMT's F4U-1 Corsair, Snake.) And two car books. One, Profile Publications' book on the Ford GT. Published in 1967, before the Mk IV. The other a Brooklands Book, The Complete WW2 Military Jeep Manual. To help with two Jeep kits I'm working. 

IMG_4068.JPG

I may have to get one of these to build this kit my daughter gave me last week.

20200521_183704.jpg.62e0a3b533485f63abf50e142341fad3.jpg 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Which AMT Corsair? Their own "Birdcage" from the '70s, or the Otaki/ARII F4U-1A they reboxed and sold in the early '90s? Overall "Navy blue" isn't a correct factory or combat scheme for either one of them, BUT "war-weary" examples of both were rebuilt and so painted for Stateside training from late 1944 or so, so it IS possible to do an accurate model painted that way. 

The one Round 2 reissued a few years back. The one from the 70's. Oh, I have aftermarket decals. I'm doing "white 110, VF-84, USS Bunker Hill, April of 1945. Any suggestions on matching the color through a spray can? 

IMG_4069.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

FC92F533-79C7-406B-B2FB-58BFD7238F6F.jpeg.89e71b2d8b2707c869f6995a4e95e289.jpeg

Paint Day - I escaped house arrest and took a ride to Ollies.They didn’t have much Duplicolor and I had to move around a lot of Krylon and such to find it all.

Tall Duplicolor primers.. 4 brown, 1 black and 1 gray for $2.99 each. 3 cans of Perfect Match small cans in 3 different red tones at $1.99 each. 1 tall red for $2.99. They must’ve had 100 cans of the Krylon green, so I bought one to test for $1.99. I used their 15% off your entire order coupon and it all came to $34.90 plus tax. 

Then I stopped in Pep Boys and they had the Sante Fe Brown and a brighter credit I wanted for my Jeepster at full price,  2 cans for $20.98. Ollies was a much better deal!  I still need an acceptable medium green for my second Jeepster.

Edited by Tom Geiger

36 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I may have to get one of these to build this kit my daughter gave me last week.

20200521_183704.jpg.62e0a3b533485f63abf50e142341fad3.jpg 

I don't know if the manual I got today will help you very much. It's really only covers Willys MBs and Ford GPWs. I saw very little to nothing in there about a Rokr version. But, I haven't gotten though the entire book yet. 

By the way, in last two months, I had the privilege of building a Rokr Marble Coaster. It was a lot of fun and turned out beautifully. So, I ordered another wood puzzle kit by another manufacturer. It was okay. But, no where near as nice as the Rokr kit. I hope you enjoy building yours as much as I did mine. 

The one Round 2 reissued a few years back. The one from the 70's. Oh, I have aftermarket decals. I'm doing "white 110, VF-84, USS Bunker Hill, April of 1945. Any suggestions on matching the color through a spray can? 

IMG_4069.JPG

Rut-roh. 

You can't build a 1945 F4U-1D from that kit. It's a much earlier airplane. This would be the model airplane equivalent of painting an AMT '66 Mustang hardtop dark green, putting mags on it, and calling it the Bullitt Mustang. :lol:

Also, it looks like those decals are 1/72 scale, and thus about 2/3 the size they need to be for your 1/48 model. :blink:

Maybe I can walk you through this. If you want to use that Tamiya Navy Blue, I might be able to come up with a suitable set of decals for your AMT Birdcage. And if you want to build that Bunker Hill F4U-1D Corsair and use your decals, I might have a spare 1/72 Corsair of a more suitable model I can send you. I THINK I bought one at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago just because it was clearance-price cheap. Lemme see if I can find it. Your one can of Tamiy blue should be sufficient to paint them both. B)

Well, made out like a bandit on this year’s birthday!

Resin casting supplies:

0991B4C4-4858-42D0-A379-189707751672.thumb.jpeg.a6e9428a3c4f6c13b2178f0726d9390f.jpeg

Never saw this kit before, but a friend saw this and thought I’d dig it (I do!):

4F80279E-A839-44E7-971E-87F9171C6FF2.thumb.jpeg.2d87b7d194f411ac8a0c6d1a6794edf3.jpeg

A set of Pearl Ex!

90F20C26-4BD5-4DDB-AAD0-289D6623BEC6.thumb.jpeg.2a76b15633c910711036a3e5601ead7c.jpeg

Another 29 Ford to get messing with:

25E6EBC9-7810-413C-AC6C-D6F31CA87CF3.thumb.jpeg.f3c230e2421b0195d75cf9e5d85adfe4.jpeg

Couldn’t quite fit it all in the photo booth properly ?

F553E0CA-114B-456C-A41B-1DA04B5645EA.thumb.jpeg.38595597550f68fa51898c8190d7ec1d.jpeg

Got $80 in Amazon and eBay vouchers too to pick up some extra modeling bits...I have some really wonderful friends, family - and a supportive wife who takes notice of this boring stuff that I tell her about! 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Rut-roh. 

You can't build a 1945 F4U-1D from that kit. It's a much earlier airplane. This would be the model airplane equivalent of painting an AMT '66 Mustang hardtop dark green, putting mags on it, and calling it the Bullitt Mustang. :lol:

Also, it looks like those decals are 1/72 scale, and thus about 2/3 the size they need to be for your 1/48 model. :blink:

Maybe I can walk you through this. If you want to use that Tamiya Navy Blue, I might be able to come up with a suitable set of decals for your AMT Birdcage. And if you want to build that Bunker Hill F4U-1D Corsair and use your decals, I might have a spare 1/72 Corsair of a more suitable model I can send you. I THINK I bought one at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago just because it was clearance-price cheap. Lemme see if I can find it. Your one can of Tamiy blue should be sufficient to paint them both. B)

I'm sorry, your right. Those are not decals I planned using. In fact I'm not sure were I got the first set of decals I showed above. I actually have a set of correct scale decals, by BarracudaCals, for the "F4U-1 Birdcage Corsairs part 1." And the plane I really want build is F4U-1 Corsair. Bu no. 03821 "White 485" OTU VF-4. Which is interesting, because represent a plane used for training out of NAS Jacksonville, Florida in February of 1945. The flyer that comes with decals claim the plane was painted Glossy Dark Sea Blue. Will Tamiya's Navy Blue be a close match for that or not? 

Now where and why do I have that other set of decals? 

IMG_4070.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm sorry, your right. Those are not decals I planned using. In fact I'm not sure were I got the first set of decals I showed above. I actually have a set of correct scale decals, by BarracudaCals, for the "F4U-1 Birdcage Corsairs part 1." And the plane I really want build is F4U-1 Corsair. Bu no. 03821 "White 485" OTU VF-4. Which is interesting, because represent a plane used for training out of NAS Jacksonville, Florida in February of 1945. The flyer that comes with decals claim the plane was painted Glossy Dark Sea Blue. Will Tamiya's Navy Blue be a close match for that or not? 

Now where and why do I have that other set of decals? 

IMG_4070.JPG

There ya go. The AMT kit, the Tamiya Navy Blue, and those decals will combine very nicely to build J4F/485. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...