Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I got one of those AMT retro-promo '53 Corvettes in the mail, about two hours ago. Now, it looks like this...

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

Sweet! I spent WAY more than two hours on mine and now it looks like this: 

53Corvette04.jpg

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Mail time again!  Really enjoying building some hot rods lately, and I picked this up on eBay for a couple of bucks...it’s a hot mess right now but I might be able to do something with it...

jalop-1.jpg

Going through that Revell catalog I got yesterday, I also noticed this one. A 1/12 scale Mercedes-Benz 300 SL. It seems to me, I remember Revell inheriting the dies to, and selling copies of the old Renwal 1/12 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL in the past. I wonder if this is that old kit coming back? And if it is, why? It's a turd. Some of worst proportions I've ever seen on a kit. In particular around the roof and the windows. In 1/12 scale, I doubt this kit will be cheap. If it is the Renwal Benz, one will be getting a big, and expensive turd. I guarantee I'll be passing on that one. 

IMG_4051.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, GeeBee said:

I'm looking forward to getting a few of these, I'm informed it's going to be available around October

1627188114_RevellXKE.jpg.5d35ec469971798190eb2db43f893f12.jpg

1130299729_Annotation2020-02-02222803.jpg.b04a352cf086f2212bc4d3de83e483d3.jpg

EPvT2F1U4AA3Sm2.jpg

The more I look at the above photos, the more questions and worries I have about the above kit. I understand what we're seeing are early test shots. And the finished product should look better than that. But, I'm wondering about the seem around the windshield frame. What is this telling us about the kit? Will there be separate chrome piece? And I sure hope those wheels and tires are not what's going to be in the kit. Those wheels in particular, are some of worst looking wire wheels I've seen in a long time. I would expect better out of a new tool by Revell. 

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The more I look at the above photos, the more questions and worries I have about the above kit. I understand what we're seeing are early test shots. And the finished product should look better than that. But, I'm wondering about the seem around the windshield frame. What is this telling us about the kit? Will there be separate chrome piece? And I sure hope those wheels and tires are not what's going to be in the kit. Those wheels in particular, are some of worst looking wire wheels I've seen in a long time. I would expect better out of a new tool by Revell. 

This is a 3D printed model, when these photos were taken I'm pretty sure the tooling hadn't been made, the model kit will be a lot smoother than these test shots, I'm pretty sure the windshield frame will molded as part of the bodyshell.

Edited by GeeBee

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I don't usually build models this modern, but I've got one on the way from the UK importers and distributor of Hasegawa kits, Amerang.

66067-Hasegawa-20405-Datsun-240Z-HLS30-1972-Modellauto.jpg

If you go back two pages in this thread, you'll see I got the exact same kit on Wednesday. I'm very impressed with what I found in the box. This may sound stupid to some, but I'm really delighted to see the factory wheel covers in the kit. I'm pleased to finally have ability to build a completely stock U.S. spec 240Z. I really don't how much diffence there was between the U.S. spec versions, and U.K. spec cars. But since your in England, you should be happy to know that parts to make a RH drive version are included in the kit. 

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

This is a 3D printed model, when these photos were taken I'm pretty sure the tooling hadn't been made, the model kit will be a lot smoother than these test shots, I'm pretty sure the windshield frame will molded as part of the bodyshell.

The more I look at the pictures, the more I'm hoping the windshield frame will be a separate part still. And be done in chrome. If you look at a real E (XKE over here), the windshield frame looks similar in size and shape to what we're seeing on the model Revell is showing. 

Edited by unclescott58

Just scored an original annual AMT '66 T-bird convertible (built but never painted) off eBay. It's been reissued many times (and I have a few of them), but none of the reissues AFAIK has ever included the original kit's phantom "sports roadster" tonneau cover, and this one has it. I want to build a copy of the custom one I built in 1967 (but of course better). I SHOULD still own this model but haven't seen it in a while and can't find it--I've been looking for it for a couple years because I'd like to do a survivor resto on it. But I'd still like to do a new, better one using my current skills (mainly in painting). 

Modelhaus used to sell a "64-65-66" T-bird tonneau cover. I have one but it's not shaped quite like the one I remember, and is a little small. I think it's from a 64 or 65 and the 66 must have been different. Was gonna drive on with that part but now I'll have the part I really want. 

Bought this car on a "make offer" deal--first time I've tried that. I made what I thought was a very reasonable offer (higher than the opening bid, but quite a bit lower than I'd have been willing to bid if it had gone that way) and was surprised when the seller accepted it almost immediately. Very happy with how it turned out. B)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...