Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just snagged a fairly complete not-too-bad gluebomb one of these. Not something I'd ever lusted after, but it wanted me to buy it to do a kinda Mako Shark what-if M/SP car or early funny. This one's going to be fun.

That's actually a fun little build. I just finished customizing one of those from a different issue. Give me a holler if you need some parts. I have a complete engine and a few other parts left over.

Later-

21 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

A couple more added to the stash....

I don't know if this bothers you, but it bothered me:  the decal sheet in the Revell '55 Chevy Pace Car is incomplete. It should have "Official Pace Car" lettering on the trunk, as well as the doors.   The sheet also has an error on those flags for the doors. It's explained in this link to the Other Magazine, where you can see photos of the finished kit:

https://scaleautomag.com/how-to-models/kit-reviews/2020/02/revell-germany-1955-chevrolet-indy-pace-car 

The weird thing is:  Revell re-did the decal sheet for this new release, adding gauges etc.  While they were doing that, why on earth didn't they fix the error and omissions on the decal sheet?  

Fred Cady did a correct decal sheet for the Pace Car.  I think it's long out of production,, but turns up on eBay occasionally.

cady_55.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

50 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I don't know if this bothers you, but it bothered me:  the decal sheet in the Revell '55 Chevy Pace Car is incomplete. It should have "Official Pace Car" lettering on the trunk, as well as the doors.   The sheet also has an error on those flags for the doors. It's explained in this link to the Other Magazine, where you can see photos of the finished kit:

https://scaleautomag.com/how-to-models/kit-reviews/2020/02/revell-germany-1955-chevrolet-indy-pace-car 

Thanks Mike, luckily this one isn't for a magazine review, so I'll be building it factory stock, haven't even looked at any photo's of the 1:1, so i'm not sure what colour scheme I'll be going with.

I've been picking up the Boyd Coddington models as they come up for a decent price. I have the Quickbuilders, but wanted the full detail. The Chezoom was the hardest to find at a decent price. The detail is a little soft, but I think they will pass with good paint. I remember seeing a show with the next owner of the Chezoom. He changed the seats to something kinda Barrisy. I was not a fan. I could see changing out the rims though. Same with the Alumna Coupe. A couple of the Zimmerman rims shown above would be good candidates.

There is still the Boyd Hauler that I do not have, but I'm not sure I'll go for that one. 

IMG_2148-vi.jpg

Scott

Sometimes builder kits are more "glue" than "bomb". Got this off eBay recently and looked better in the pics. So I think I'll combine it with an Amt 67 Gt350 and build into a 289 powered GT 

IMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5993.JPG

IMG_5994.JPG

13 minutes ago, br67 said:

Sometimes builder kits are more "glue" than "bomb". Got this off eBay recently and looked better in the pics. So I think I'll combine it with an Amt 67 Gt350 and build into a 289 powered 

That is pretty rough looking.  It is a very hard to find and expensive in mint condition though.  You are on to something.  I bought a cheap old AMT fastback and used parts like the front clip from the newer release and so far things line up okay.

IMG_7538.JPG

Just got this one in the mail today. BIN for $60 plus $7 shipping. Couldn't pass it up. It'll get tossed in the stripper ASAP and rebuilt with the Revell kit. It even came with the instructions. 

20200411_115334-1.jpg.87a289293a2e07b662fa3af04ed6a8b3.jpg

20200411_115311-1.jpg.b17a08338e9296a4ab3ae3e84b8c561d.jpg

20200411_115400-1.jpg.36a5a380f8c522dd57220b616f2ea2ba.jpg

20200411_115955-1.jpg.37bddb52498162d0cc75355b38db4e64.jpg

At first, I thought it was an old build. But, it has a set of Michelin tires on it. My only concern is if the blue junk on the windows will come off. Looking at it up close, it may become more of a body parts donor than a build. 

Edited by Plowboy

57 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Just got this one in the mail today. BIN for $60 plus $7 shipping. Couldn't pass it up. It'll get tossed in the stripper ASAP and rebuilt with the Revell kit. It even came with the instructions.

At first, I thought it was an old build. But, it has a set of Michelin tires on it. My only concern is if the blue junk on the windows will come off. Looking at it up close, it may become more of a body parts donor than a build. 

Take an alcohol wipe to the glass.

I will bet that will take off whatever is on it.

It looks like a pretty nice model to me.

Ditch the '56 Ford wheel covers and go with it.

Hopefully there are no surprises under all of that thick yellow paint! <_<

It's a good sign though.

If it's as thick as it looks, it's probably enamel and should strip pretty easily.

Good luck with it Roger!

Steve

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...