Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

HLJ is actually pretty reasonable, Bill. I ordered two Hasegawa kits from them a couple of weeks ago (a Datsun 510 and the BMW 2002tii), and with shipping, my total worked out to $63 Canadian, and the package is waiting at the post office. There is also a currency converter on their website, so you can see how much you would have to pay.

I believe you Ken. It would be so easy and so reasonable that I would have to start a Chapter of HLJ/Hobby Search Anonymous. LOL

Flea Market Day!  Couldn't find any car kits, so I bought an arsenal.  I've been trying to find some of these for years, especially a Luger kit.  And eBay prices for these kits give me sticker shock, so I'm very happy.  I bought all these together as a lot, for a very reasonable price.

The Academy kits are re-pops of the old LS 1:1 scale gun kits.  The one in the lower right is a Crown re-pop of the LS Model 28 Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum Calif. Highway Patrol. 

guns.JPG

Learn something new every day, I had no idea 1:1 kits of guns were made, that is really cool.

The LS 1:1 gun kits came out in the early 1970's. They're made of an ABS-type plastic, so have to be built with super-glue.  They have metal springs and other internal parts that make them work exactly like the real guns - slides recoil, magazines load, etc. (Though they won't work too many times without breaking.)  Each also comes with brass-colored bullets.  Most parts are in gun-metal colored plastic with brown for the wooden handgrips.  So some builders didn't bother painting, just rubbed them down with a coat of powdered graphite to add a little shine. And maybe weathered the "wooden" parts. 

The LS 1:1 gun kits came out in the early 1970's. They're made of an ABS-type plastic, so have to be built with super-glue.  They have metal springs and other internal parts that make them work exactly like the real guns - slides recoil, magazines load, etc. (Though they won't work too many times without breaking.)  Each also comes with brass-colored bullets.  Most parts are in gun-metal colored plastic with brown for the wooden handgrips.  So some builders didn't bother painting, just rubbed them down with a coat of powdered graphite to add a little shine. And maybe weathered the "wooden" parts. 

That is really cool, thanks for the added info on them.

Flea Market Day!  Couldn't find any car kits, so I bought an arsenal.  I've been trying to find some of these for years, especially a Luger kit.  And eBay prices for these kits give me sticker shock, so I'm very happy.  I bought all these together as a lot, for a very reasonable price.

The Academy kits are re-pops of the old LS 1:1 scale gun kits.  The one in the lower right is a Crown re-pop of the LS Model 28 Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum Calif. Highway Patrol. 

guns.JPG

Absolutely fabulous! I only have two of these, a P.38 and a Smith 29, and wish I'd bought more when they were available. (Should have bought a Luger at a yard sale a couple years ago, but waited too long.) If you're interested in trading off any of these, let me know. Would especially like to have the 4" Highway Patrolman, as I have a real one.

I bought my P.38 in 1972 or so, and it cost $4.95, which was a LOT of money for a plastic model kit of any kind in those days. (Car kits were still $2, and it was only exotic imported airplane kits that sold for $5 or more.) The next time I saw them was in the late '70s, by which time the average price on them was somewhere around $30.  

If you're interested in trading off any of these, let me know. Would especially like to have the 4" Highway Patrolman, as I have a real one.

I bought my P.38 in 1972 or so, and it cost $4.95, which was a LOT of money for a plastic model kit of any kind in those days. (Car kits were still $2, and it was only exotic imported airplane kits that sold for $5 or more.) The next time I saw them was in the late '70s, by which time the average price on them was somewhere around $30.  

Will keep you in mind!  Though I have to say, I'm partial to that Crown Highway Patrolman myself. Some of these will probably end up on eBay. All are still shrink-wrapped, except the LS Luger and Nambu. 

I have an LS Broomhandle Mauser and a Colt Model 1911 .45.  The Colt is mostly assembled, so I got it fairly cheap at a kit swap meet.

The LS Luger still has its price tag on it, visible in the photo: $14.00.  One of the Academy short-barrel .44 Magnums also still has its price tag, from "Team Hobbies."  It was $13.00.  Now if the Flea Market would just cough up a stack of old AMT and Jo-Han annual kits in this condition...

Edited by Mike999
omission

Got this today. Won the bid on Ebay. 120170802_183423.thumb.jpg.ba7ec1a2c6255220170802_183443.thumb.jpg.f18e3f08bd11e8967 Oldsmobile Toronado

OOOH!  Great score!!I have the MPC version of the car in my basement, waiting to be built. I already know how I am going to build it, and what color it will be.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Just back from hobby shop. Picked up a pack of scapel blades, small bottle of super thin CA and a pack of Plastruct 1.5mm hex rod (one of the great modeling inventions) to make sure I had the full set of them. Had intended to get a model, but even with a few new (mainly reissues) ones nothing that rang my chimes. When you already have 2 or 3 of something in some cases in 40 year old packaging, hard to pull a couple of 20's out of pocket for another one to go on the shelf.

I I picked up an old blueprinter back to the future trilogy kit, revell 64' thunderbolt, the silloute kit and some paint and glue today. While I was on vacation I picked up a der beetle bus at hobby lobby and at another small hobby shop I found a 1/35 us army bulldozer that caught my eye and a can of tamiya paint was a good week!!!!

Vince

Will keep you in mind!  Though I have to say, I'm partial to that Crown Highway Patrolman myself. Some of these will probably end up on eBay. All are still shrink-wrapped, except the LS Luger and Nambu. 

I have an LS Broomhandle Mauser and a Colt Model 1911 .45.  The Colt is mostly assembled, so I got it fairly cheap at a kit swap meet.

The LS Luger still has its price tag on it, visible in the photo: $14.00.  One of the Academy short-barrel .44 Magnums also still has its price tag, from "Team Hobbies."  It was $13.00.  Now if the Flea Market would just cough up a stack of old AMT and Jo-Han annual kits in this condition...

You sir have hit a goldmine. I sold a couple of spare unbuilt LS 1:1 pistol kits on Ebay for over $80 each when bidding ended. Be sure to include shipping to Europe and Japan. Unbuilt pistol models  are very prized to buyers in countries that ban all real gun ownership. Seems they can own a unbuilt non-firing model but not a real one. I stated in my description that I will ship USA only but would ship to a third party agent in USA who would ship to other countries. Good luck.    

Edited by magicmustang

On vacation this past week in . But still kept an eye on some plastic for the pile.

Picked up an unbuilt Johan 64 Dodge . I already have a few of them but for the price I just couldn't pass it up. Especially the fact its molded in a light cream color ,,,,an almost white. Came from one of Facebook groups I'm part of

s-l1600.jpg

And a decent  builder MPC 1970 Mercury Cyclone off Ebay. Ive been trying to get either an original issue 70 or 71 Cyclone for a while now . 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks to the clearance sale at HL I picked up another AMT 32 Vicky,  and an AMT 37 Chevy Stovebolt. There were about 5 I wanted, a couple I already have but want more of, and a few I don't but for the price was worth getting, but only had enough birthday cash for two. So I compromised, got one I already have and one new.

Trick will be to see if I get around to building any of these. At least with the Chevy, I don't particularly like that car, so hoping to do a quick slump buster with it. I just like the gasser part of it, only reason I wanted it. It's funny, this was one I wasn't going to waste a coupon for when it was regular price, but at the same price now I buy it. :unsure:

Russ

Local toy show today. My old reliable vendor didn't have anything I needed. There was a new guy there selling a few kits and builtups but he seemed to think they were made from crushed rubies and bald eagle eggs. Wanted $20 for a built AMT '72 Nova! Did buy a complete, unstarted Lindberg ''79-'80 Mustang kit from him for $5, though--seemed like a good deal and I can easily have $5 worth of fun with it.

Just got back from the NNL show/swap in Crystal Lake. Picked up an unbuilt '69 Falcon modified stocker with a badly bent body for a ten-spot; so now that I have the correct shock towers, I guess I have to buy a '65 Comet to put them in :rolleyes:.

Even better, for three bucks I picked up a salvageable gluebomb Aurora '34 Ford coupe. Last fall I got an unbuilt one at Model Empire's annual sale that was missing some parts; this one has almost all I need to finish the other (just need the fuel pump or a good photo to scratchbuild from), with plenty enough left over to start on a nice hot rod B).

One regret: I could have picked up the remains of an Aurora 1/32 "Beatnik Box" roadster pickup hot rod cheap; it had a nicely molded 348/409 Chevy engine with a dual-pot Paxton supercharger setup, but I couldn't think of a use for it. Now, of course, I can think of using it in one of my Pyro car kits - or just using the supercharger setup on the Revell '56 Eldorado. Live and learn...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

guns.JPG

Now those are some reissues I would love to see. I had a couple of those as a kid and of course treated them as toys.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...